blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176692 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »

Great match though. You wouldn't rule out a one frame decider would you?

Probably not.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »

£70,000 to the winner, £30,000 to the runner-up, and a one frame decider.

Do they ever do business in these spots, or agree a "saver"?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2017, 09:51:13 PM »

Was neutral, but now kind of funking for Williams. He's been under it all through this match and he's hung in there.

I'm not sure if you know the full story but Mark Williams' missus is quite ill and has been in and out of hospital this last week and had to go back to hossie yesterday.

He was touch and go whether to concede the final and go home but decided to stay and play clearly feeling a little unsettled.

No, I didn't know that Ralph.

Suspected viral meningitis apparently.

Let's hope foaming isn't a symptom

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »

Was neutral, but now kind of funking for Williams. He's been under it all through this match and he's hung in there.

I'm not sure if you know the full story but Mark Williams' missus is quite ill and has been in and out of hospital this last week and had to go back to hossie yesterday.

He was touch and go whether to concede the final and go home but decided to stay and play clearly feeling a little unsettled.

No, I didn't know that Ralph.

Suspected viral meningitis apparently.

Let's hope foaming isn't a symptom

Ralph!

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »

Does anyone remember those old metal tubes that used to hang in rows on the walls of billiard halls for regulars and club members to keep their cues in?

I've searched the interned and I can't find a picture of one.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:46 PM »

Don't think they do because they would both want to 'lose' to avoid the tax man.  I have often thought this myself.  They could lose on purpose the last frame and lay themselves on betfair at evens to win £40k.  That £40k on bf is tax free legally (albeit it involves match fixing).  If they play properly and win they win £40k but pay 45% income tax on it.

Slightly different to a poker MTT final table for similar money.  Would deals still be done in the same way on big poker mtt's if it was taxed as income and so publicly known to the tax man what each player earned each year via worldsnooker.com or similar sites for poker?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:44:29 PM by arbboy » Logged
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:50 PM »

Does anyone remember those old metal tubes that used to hang in rows on the walls of billiard halls for regulars and club members to keep their cues in?

They still have a few hanging near the snooker table at my golf club - I often wonder if anyone has checked out the contents in the last fifty years.

After placing an advertisement for a hand-spliced ash cue in the local paper I bought my snooker cue from a bloke who extracted it from one of those very same metal tubes at a working-man's club in Nottingham around thirty years ago. He was pulling the cue out so roughly that I thought he was going to scar it for life but fortunately I managed to stop him in time.

I took it out of it's case and had a look at it the other day - it is still as straight as the proverbial die.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:03 AM »

They still have a few hanging near the snooker table at my golf club - I often wonder if anyone has checked out the contents in the last fifty years.

After placing an advertisement for a hand-spliced ash cue in the local paper I bought my snooker cue from a bloke who extracted it from one of those very same metal tubes at a working-man's club in Nottingham around thirty years ago. He was pulling the cue out so roughly that I thought he was going to scar it for life but fortunately I managed to stop him in time.

I took it out of it's case and had a look at it the other day - it is still as straight as the proverbial die.

Back in the day, most snooker clubs were just places were the majority of the members were recreational players who who neither knew nor cared that they were playing on badly fitted tables with dead cushions and cloths that were either like great hairy horse-blankets or totally slick and bereft of any kind of nap at all.

The North Midland Snooker club was an exception though. It was owned by three businessmen. two of whom were very accomplished amateur players which meant that the tables were in good nick, fitted properly, had good quality cloths and cushions, and were brushed and ironed daily.

There were nine tables in rows of three and they were separated from the distractions of the bar area by a glass partition. All the tables were good, but the three nearest the glass were the 'match' tables.

The club opened daily at 10am and by 11 every table was busy and every match in progress would be a money match with the players either betting on themselves or being staked by one of the many gamblers from the 'Little Room'.

The Little Room was behind a closed, windowless door. It was where some of the most fascinating (and dangerous) men you are ever likely to meet spent their days wreathed in clouds of smoke, playing cards and watching horse racing on the telly.

These men were gangsters, loan sharks, drug dealers and pimps mixed with local business men who knew which palms to grease and policemen who knew when to look the other way.

No one was allowed inside the Little Room without permission. I was one of the privileged few who could pop in now and then because I was a friend of Stan Smith, a dodgy but wealthy timber merchant who made his fortune selling reclaimed timber and corrugated metal sheets to farmers across the country, and Ray Stringfellow, a retired but still very capable prize fighter.

Although none of these men played snooker and almost never ventured out from behind the closed door of the Little Room, they made the whole place buzz. They dealt and gambled amongst themselves constantly, throwing large amounts of money around like confetti.

Inevitably, because they needed people to put bets on at the bookies, fetch takeaways, deliver a motor to somewhere, or do do any one of a hundred other 'small jobs', (some of which paid better than others, if you know what I mean) a small amount of confetti always managed to drift out of the little room and into the pockets of the rest of us. It was like a little ecosystem.

Now due to it's popularity, it was decided that the Little Room would be fitted with an extension.
On the back wall (which was now to be demolished) there hung a row of those metal cue cases, each one with a tiny padlock on it's rusty hasp. No one knew who they belonged to or how long they had been there but estimates ranged from 20 to 50 years. These, it was decided, would have to go.

Until now, no one had ever given the row of old cue cases a second thought, now, everyone, players and non players alike, were desperate to open them up.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »

Don't think they do because they would both want to 'lose' to avoid the tax man.  I have often thought this myself.  They could lose on purpose the last frame and lay themselves on betfair at evens to win £40k.  That £40k on bf is tax free legally (albeit it involves match fixing).  If they play properly and win they win £40k but pay 45% income tax on it.

Slightly different to a poker MTT final table for similar money.  Would deals still be done in the same way on big poker mtt's if it was taxed as income and so publicly known to the tax man what each player earned each year via worldsnooker.com or similar sites for poker?

Perfectly logical, but these are snooker players not Pro gamblers, & I'm not convinced they know enough about betting to work all that out.

Also, if we took Mark Williams as a (purely hypothetical) case in point, I'd be very surprised if he could ever lay his hands on £40k cash. I seem to recall he was busto - proper busto - a few years back.

Plus, of course, betting on a game he is involved in would be a very serious offence in the eyes of the snooker authorities. I'm not saying snooker players are angels - we know that's far from true - but (I believe) most of them bet - relatively - small sums. Betting a biggish 5 figure sum would come out on top eventually. (Was it Bingham who got caught punting on his games recently? Don't recall the exact details, but seem to recall it was very small beer).

Presumably, you'd argue the same logic in professional Darts?   

I agree poker is a different scenario. When we play in Las Vegas, the tax situation makes a HUGE difference to final table chops & business, as I'm sure you know. It's very much to our advantage to be Brits in a Vegas final table chop. Just ask Chompy, who cashes there almost every MTT he plays, 90 player chops & all sorts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:20:37 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »

What a great thread this is becoming, love those tales from the 2 old boys.

Further episodes eagerly awaited.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »

I used to handle my cue as if it were a new-born baby, & woe betide anyone who so much as touched it.

I was not up to the Ralph/Red standard as a player though. Bad eyesight, poor hand-eye co-ordination, & a world class snatch were too much to overcome.

My snatch on the impact stroke was incred. I visited coach after coach trying to cure it, but never succeeded.

I could feather the cue like a pro, smooth, gentle & slow, & would practice by doing that for hours, just feathering an imaginery cue ball. Then, with a cue ball, & on a real shot, even after telling myself DON'T SNATCH my left arm would sort of explode, & the final stroke of the cue would be about 100 mph. Think I've got trophies for "Worst Cue Action".

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »

Tom where exactly was The North Midlands Snooker Club and was that where you knew Dave Smith from before poker?

I remember you saying that he used to back several snooker players in the old days.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

Tom where exactly was The North Midlands Snooker Club and was that where you knew Dave Smith from before poker?

I remember you saying that he used to back several snooker players in the old days.

It was, (Still is) in Worksop Ralph.

Dave Smith used to visit occasionally to do some business in the Little Room or to bring the odd player over for a money match.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »

I used to handle my cue as if it were a new-born baby, & woe betide anyone who so much as touched it.

I was not up to the Ralph/Red standard as a player though. Bad eyesight, poor hand-eye co-ordination, & a world class snatch were too much to overcome.

My snatch on the impact stroke was incred. I visited coach after coach trying to cure it, but never succeeded.

I could feather the cue like a pro, smooth, gentle & slow, & would practice by doing that for hours, just feathering an imaginery cue ball. Then, with a cue ball, & on a real shot, even after telling myself DON'T SNATCH my left arm would sort of explode, & the final stroke of the cue would be about 100 mph. Think I've got trophies for "Worst Cue Action".

I was no great shakes ability wise, (the pro's used to give me 50) but I had a strong tactical game (Developed through years of playing people that were capable of winning a frame at one visit) and was a good money player. Lots of players who could beat me for a fiver would lose to me for £100, even if we both had only a small % of the total stake.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »

The UK Open started a day or two ago, runs until December 10th, & will be extensively covered on TV, starting this Saturday.

Mark Williams is through to Round 2, but says he may withdraw as his wife remains ill;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/42182393

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: