blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:44:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176503 times)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »

Where did you play in the end Tom?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »

Somewhere near where Ralph lives, he'll tell you what it was called, I can't remember.

The older I get, the better I was.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »

I'll be up around Nottingham over xmas possibly. I'll put my cue in the car if anyone fancies a game. And trust me, I will be trying to win!

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »

Do you think all this snooker on telly will cause another boom?

It might, yes.

I was reminded of your question when I saw Peter Ebdon doing his punditry, & it took me back to the era when he was playing. Jeez, he may have been a great player, but he was really painful to watch, or I thought so anyway. Viewers must have turned off in their millions. Now, if we know Ronnie (or several others) are playing, we make an effort to watch.

The standard of play, both in attack & defence, has improved beyond recognition, & there are some interesting characters making a name for themselves, especially the Chinese kids.

The quality of TV coverage is better, too, though I wish they dispense with the gimmicky & un-necessary stuff. Watching & listening to Colin Murphy chat with Jimmy White & Neil Foulds does not exactly set the pulse racing. Eurosport have introduced their "token pretty female" now too. (Sexism alert....). She's undoubtedly a lovely girl, but she knows nothing about snooker, & every single one of her questions is banal, she's snooker's answer to Derek Thompson.

"You've got through, winning 6-0 Ronnie, how does it feel?"

"You only had to pot that simple red to win, but you missed it. Were you disappointed?"

FFS.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

I hate the "his shot time has come down by almost a second" bollocks.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

Somewhere near where Ralph lives, he'll tell you what it was called, I can't remember.

Stadium Snooker in New Basford.

I used to play for them in the Nottingham inter-club super league about twenty years ago and yesterday was the first time I'd been back since. I think it's fair to say that my game has deteriorated considerably during my hiatus, in fact it took a few games before I could even get down on the cue properly and today I have a cracked rib, backache and a stiff neck.

Well worth making the effort though as spending a few hours in Tom's company reminiscing about our old snooker days is absolutely priceless.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to how long it took us to play four frames of snooker?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »

I hate the "his shot time has come down by almost a second" bollocks.

They have a "clever" graphic, & a stopwatch. So they feel obliged to use it, on the assumption that we are all stupid.

We don't need gimmick graphics, & most of the time, we don't need commentary. We can SEE he missed the shot.

To be fair, many of the current crop of commentators are very good. McManus is excellent, & Parrott has still got it. Steve Davis was my snooker idol for many years, but he's not a commentator or pundit I'm afraid.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »

What's with Walden's stance? He looks like he's about to lay an egg. (Seems to work aright though)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »

I used to play for them in the Nottingham inter-club super league about twenty years ago and yesterday was the first time I'd been back since. I think it's fair to say that my game has deteriorated considerably during my hiatus, in fact it took a few games before I could even get down on the cue properly and today I have a cracked rib, backache and a stiff neck.

Well worth making the effort though as spending a few hours in Tom's company reminiscing about our old snooker days is absolutely priceless.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to how long it took us to play four frames of snooker?

I used to play League games there back in the day. At the time, a young lad in their team was unbeatable, he was about 14 & wore a bloody waistcoat & everything. His name was Anthony Hamilton.

Yesterday's 4 frames? I'd be disappointed if they took less than 3.5 hours.

Well done the both of you. Wish my eyes had not gone, I'm distinctly jealous.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »

What's with Walden's stance? He looks like he's about to lay an egg. (Seems to work aright though)

Recovering from a serious back injury

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »

Ah yes, been there a few times.

I would guess 122 minutes

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »

Recovering from a serious back injury

Wow! I'm surprised he can play at all, let alone to this standard. Good luck to him.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »

160 mins to allow for waffle time

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »

Being of an age that can remember when they were downing pints, are they now forced to drink only water? None of them fancy a coke or orange juice? Although Google suggests the WPBSA now have an official water partner so maybe that's why.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »

Being of an age that can remember when they were downing pints, are they now forced to drink only water? None of them fancy a coke or orange juice? Although Google suggests the WPBSA now have an official water partner so maybe that's why.

No booze, fags or pies to be consumed at the table. Sets the kids a bad example.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: