blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176548 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

Sorry to hear that Cau is involved as I liked him as a player.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 01, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »

Numptys get their wages in different ways.  Many ways to skin a cat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: December 02, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »

What form Ken is in.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 03, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »

On that day of the Welsh Open, 38 betting accounts in the Far East - using sophisticated computer software - attempted to place a total of £250,000 in one second on the result of Cao's match against twice World Championship runner-up Ali Carter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46411743

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 03, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »

Ronnie O'Sullivan says he is "ready to go" and form a breakaway "Champions League-style" snooker tour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46419267

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: December 03, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »

Ronnie O'Sullivan says he is "ready to go" and form a breakaway "Champions League-style" snooker tour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46419267

I want to see qualifiers playing top players.

I don't think players banned for match fixing should be brought back.

I do think Hearn has too much power, especially when he gets on about shot speed etc.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »

Luca Brecel had Lu Ning difficulty this afternoon.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »

In snooker, after a "miss" is declared the referee asks the player if the cue ball has been replaced in the correct spot. The player often ends up penalising himself by saying "left a bit" "right a bit" or whatever. Then the ref looks at both players "that ok?" and they both nod in agreement. In fact the seated player almost never bothers to check.

Imagine that in football.

"Was that foul outside the area or inside the area mate?"

Love snooker.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 04, 2018, 06:41:13 AM »

In snooker, after a "miss" is declared the referee asks the player if the cue ball has been replaced in the correct spot. The player often ends up penalising himself by saying "left a bit" "right a bit" or whatever. Then the ref looks at both players "that ok?" and they both nod in agreement. In fact the seated player almost never bothers to check.

Love snooker.

We can tell the trajectory and landing spot of a Rafa Nadal smash, map the expected flight of a Jimmy Anderson lbw appeal, decide whether a ball bounced over the line on the way down from the crossbar. All using technology.

But where did this erstwhile static object start moving from? We'll have to ask someone to look at a screen for us and wiggle it about a bit until we are broadly confident, then ask the players what they think.

It's a complete anachronism.

Must be a technological way of solving this problem. How about an overhead projector that can impose an image of the balls before the shot on the table? Ref just slides the white to where the projected white ball is.

Absolutely no excuse for this still being a problem.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »

Love snooker.

We can tell the trajectory and landing spot of a Rafa Nadal smash, map the expected flight of a Jimmy Anderson lbw appeal, decide whether a ball bounced over the line on the way down from the crossbar. All using technology.

But where did this erstwhile static object start moving from? We'll have to ask someone to look at a screen for us and wiggle it about a bit until we are broadly confident, then ask the players what they think.

Must be a technological way of solving this problem. How about an overhead projector that can impose an image of the balls before the shot on the table? Ref just slides the white to where the projected white ball is.

Sometimes the margins are so fine that a projected image wouldn't do. i.e.you can see the thin edge of a ball, move the white an 8th of a frazzle and now you can't. Both players know, the camera doesn't.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 04, 2018, 08:58:38 AM »

Love snooker.

Sometimes the margins are so fine that a projected image wouldn't do. i.e.you can see the thin edge of a ball, move the white an 8th of a frazzle and now you can't. Both players know, the camera doesn't.

If technology can get us an eighth of a frazzle over the goalline, it should be able to get us to where the cue ball is.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »

Love snooker.

If technology can get us an eighth of a frazzle over the goalline, it should be able to get us to where the cue ball is.

Is it a problem? The ref gets some help from the players, who want the ball in the same place because that means their adjustments on the shot mean something. I’m not aware of any contentious situations that have come from this.

Any camera setup would inevitably suffer from some degree of parallax and then you’re back to that eighth of a frazzle which the players can see.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: December 04, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »

Love snooker.

I know what you're saying, but footballers from both teams never get down to the level of the playing surface and look at the ball from the perfect angle, and the ball is never never stationary at the moment in question.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 04, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »

Love snooker.

Is it a problem? The ref gets some help from the players, who want the ball in the same place because that means their adjustments on the shot mean something. I’m not aware of any contentious situations that have come from this.

Any camera setup would inevitably suffer from some degree of parallax and then you’re back to that eighth of a frazzle which the players can see.

It's a problem in that it's needlessly inexact and left to human interpretation and judgment, when it's actually a point of fact as to where a ball was.

I get it's not a major issue. It just seems rather 20th century to me and snooker being left behind is a bad thing.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »

Love snooker.

It's a problem in that it's needlessly inexact and left to human interpretation and judgment, when it's actually a point of fact as to where a ball was.

I get it's not a major issue. It just seems rather 20th century to me and snooker being left behind is a bad thing.

When a golfer marks his ball on the putting green should we be taking a photo so that it goes back in exactly the same spot?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: