blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Luton 25/25 Lets have some fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luton 25/25 Lets have some fun.  (Read 51867 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

Minutia!

Has to google it, lol. For me this is much more about the experience than winning poker (although that would be nice). Happy to share my thoughts and feelings about the real life stuff.

Minutiae. I had to look that up when Tony used it. Apparently it's the plural of minutia.

So does that mean we should say, 'a minutia' and 'some minutiae' or should we just use 'the' as an introduction to either?

I.e. The minutia - the minutiae.

Tal...

Yes, I always prefer minutiae (though I struggle to spell it correctly every time) because it's pretty rare to have singular fine detail.

While we are at it.....

If I type "I would like a Danish pastry" should it be "Danish" or "danish"?

The trend is to use an uppercase letter when the thing is still associated with the place (Jersey Royal potatoes, Parma ham) and go lowercase letter where the association is no longer to the region (yorkshire pudding, champagne).

https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-c

(See capitals)

I would say Danish, I think.

Great to hear you're having fun, Omm.

Surely Champagne should always be upper case, as sparkling wine rather like Champagne cannot be called that, on penalty of huge amounts of cash payable to the certified wine-growers of the Champagne appellation.

Trust me - when it comes to wine I know my onions.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »

Minutia!

Has to google it, lol. For me this is much more about the experience than winning poker (although that would be nice). Happy to share my thoughts and feelings about the real life stuff.

Minutiae. I had to look that up when Tony used it. Apparently it's the plural of minutia.

So does that mean we should say, 'a minutia' and 'some minutiae' or should we just use 'the' as an introduction to either?

I.e. The minutia - the minutiae.

Tal...

Yes, I always prefer minutiae (though I struggle to spell it correctly every time) because it's pretty rare to have singular fine detail.

While we are at it.....

If I type "I would like a Danish pastry" should it be "Danish" or "danish"?

The trend is to use an uppercase letter when the thing is still associated with the place (Jersey Royal potatoes, Parma ham) and go lowercase letter where the association is no longer to the region (yorkshire pudding, champagne).

https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-c

(See capitals)

I would say Danish, I think.

Great to hear you're having fun, Omm.

Surely Champagne should always be upper case, as sparkling wine rather like Champagne cannot be called that, on penalty of huge amounts of cash payable to the certified wine-growers of the Champagne appellation.

Trust me - when it comes to wine I know my onions.

Can see that argument and, yes, it's protected like Melton Mowbray pork pies or Savile Row suits.

I think the point is it's not a hard and fast rule. Journalists need to have a set of rules to adopt for consistency but language isn't bound by those restrictions. This seems to be an area where fewer capitalisations are being employed as time goes by. Perhaps it's a product of globalisation; that places have less ownership of products.

Neither can be "wrong". Nor should it lead to a flurry of letters to the editor before someone goes off to walk the alsatian. Or the dalmatian.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:40:29 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »

Going to do this in a few parts as yesterday which started off very well, became the most interesting day in Vegas so far.....

Day 4

Sky poker tournament day. Really looking forward to this one, small field, various methods of qualification with a mix of skills, good structure and atmosphere, 9 places paid with $12k to winner, such a receive to do so well.

I felt like I had near perfect prep, had a good sleep, had a hearty breakfast at Grand Lux breakfast buffet. While I was there I met Andy (A_r_K on sky) and his friend who had joined him from New York (terrible with names and can’t remember his, may have even got Andy wrong, need to get better at remembering peoples names), such an enjoyable chat we ended up staying there talking for nearly an hour after we got the bill (I’ll come back to how the waitress discreetly told me off). So back to prep, the tournament didn’t start until 2 but had to be at The Venetian Poker room (remember that) for 1 to sort out reg and the bits and bobs. This left me about 4 hours to kill, decided to relax back at the suite, with the amount of walking I’ve been doing and getting up at 4am every morning it’s been pretty long days so now was the perfect time to just chill. Back at the room i started watching Star Wars revenge of the Sith (best one in my opinion although it’s my wife’s worse one, opinion?) and spent some time catching up with Deb and the kids on What’s App video call although we have got a Vegas thread on What’s App including my mum and debs mum so I am keeping them updated on that, kids are so jealous of the food pics. Decided to have a hot soak in bath while watching said film (I haven’t had a bath in over 10 years, not as bad as it sounds, I just prefer showers have never seen the point in soaking in a bath, life is too short, however it just felt right in this environment.) after watching the last 30 mins of the film in the bath I was ready to prepare mentally. I’ve been using Primed Mind (Fedor Holz and Elliot Roe’s mindset app) to help me while I’ve been ill, not everyone’s cup of tea but when your health can get quite bad it can affect you mentally and for me this app has helped get me through some very dark times recently. Just so happens they have added a WSOP section, perfect, just what I need to get me in the zone.

So as we near 12:30 I’m Primed and smelling good, ready to go crush some souls, I have come across most of the Sky qualifiers and I’m quite good at taking notes and colour coding people on Sky so have a decent knowledge of skill level and how individuals play (strange how I can’t remember peoples names).

Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks on the way and I’m all set to go. I get to The Poker room about 12:55 and couldn’t see anyone I recognised. As you do I asked one of the guys walking around that looked important and this is where it all started to go wrong. “Do you have the Sky Poker Tournament year today” I said, “Yes sir” was the reply, “You just have to go over there and follow the signs to the expo centre, it’s abit of a walk” “ Are you sure, I was told the Venetian Poker room” I said “Yes sir, just follow the signs”. So off I go to the expo centre where The Deepstacks are running. Still not 100% I text Sky Mark and James, don’t get a reply by the time I get to the “car park” where they are playing poker. Nope, still don’t recognise anyone. Message Tikay on Blonde and before I check’ for a reply not only do I bump into the TD (all 7 foot of him) of the SPT for the day who tells me to go back to the poker room, but James text me and Tikay messages me back, just like buses, all three at once, lol. So off I go now all hot and sweaty back to the Poker Room.....
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2018, 06:27:27 PM »

....I bump into the TD (all 7 foot of him) of the SPT for the day....

Fair to say he was a tall fella, I'm 6' so he must be 7' plus.

Smashing bloke, very organised & efficient.

Given the traditional hostility by Sheldon towards Online Poker, was quite a coup for us to stage an event there. Went great, too, Venetian were amazingly helpful & customer-friendly.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »

Day 4 contd

Yep it’s def at the poker room, just to the side of the main room. Okay no worries, im not one for getting worked up and I’m still plenty early so no harm done.

When you travel on your own you sort of have a choice, you can be able to make conversation with strangers or you can keep yourself to yourself. Seeing as I like to think im a people person and I like to make people feel comfortable and welcome I’m definitely the former rather than the latter. In fact I will try and go out of my way to talk to people who look like they are the latter. It’s something I try and teach the kids as well as Deb, if you are ever in a situation were there are a large group of people who do not know each other or maybe a few people in that group that are strangers, for me, introducing yourself and then showing a genuine interest in that person is the quickest way of not only making new friends but also helps with the general atmosphere and they way you might want the day to go, years of management courses and having read How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie a few times have led to this being a natural thing for me to do, in fact it’s this very book that has taught me that when conversation drys up getting someone to talk about themselves is the best thing you can do as it’s the one subject they know a lot about and feel comfortable doing it, I was even told once at a Christmas party that I was quite nosey, lol, just interested was my reply.

Back to the SPT. Started doing the rounds and introducing myself to people I hadn’t met at the welcome party. Got abit of a confidence boost when I found out the guys were doing some sort of sweepstake, 15 points to spend, players worth 5 points down to 1 (as done by Marc Wright). $50 buy in winner takes all, You could buy me for 1 point (this was not the confidence boost, lol.) But while talking to the very Human Matt Bates he had mentioned that he picked me as he thought Marc had made a few mistakes with a couple of people he put as 1 pointers who were better than that, not sure I agree with him as 1/2 point would have still been value but nice to get your ego stroke just before a tournament.

So nearly starting on time we all sit down and get comfortable in what is a very nice playing environment......
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »

....I bump into the TD (all 7 foot of him) of the SPT for the day....

Fair to say he was a tall fella, I'm 6' so he must be 7' plus.

Smashing bloke, very organised & efficient.

Given the traditional hostility by Sheldon towards Online Poker, was quite a coup for us to stage an event there. Went great, too, Venetian were amazingly helpful & customer-friendly.

Click to see full-size image.

Great picture this. Really was a great tournament and atmosphere, everyone from yourself and the sky team to the Venetian staff couldn’t do enough for us. Positive experiences like this really do make for great memories.

That reminds me, still need to get a few selfies with you and the team.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »

MBN to be Matt Bates (Magic817 on blonde) I think he scooped the Sweepstake ($1,300) with his selection.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »

I will continue day 4 report later. I’m really look8ng forward to playing at The Wynn today in the $550 one dayer, recommendation from Doobs and others have indicated I’m in for a real treat. Starts in 90 mins so going to ge5 ready and get there early.

Sky night out tonight at Top Golf, of course I hope I miss it by still being in at The Wynn but if I’m not I will be trying to make this, great group of people and it seems everyone is getting on in the spirt they should do so will be a great night, the only thing that will stop me is I had a late night last night (little day 4 spoiler but not what you might think) so may have to so what my body thinks about partying.

(I’m writing all this on an IPad and it’s really getting on my nerves how while I’m typing quickly it randomly adds numbers instead of the letter I have typed, fed up going back and changing it so I’m not go8ng to d9 it from now 9n, you guys will get the drift though, promise I’m not makin* this up, anyone know how to stop it?)
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:15 PM »

MBN to be Matt Bates (Magic817 on blonde) I think he scooped the Sweepstake ($1,300) with his selection.

lol, he rigged the RNG.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »

I will continue day 4 report later. I’m really look8ng forward to playing at The Wynn today in the $550 one dayer, recommendation from Doobs and others have indicated I’m in for a real treat. Starts in 90 mins so going to ge5 ready and get there early.

Sky night out tonight at Top Golf, of course I hope I miss it by still being in at The Wynn but if I’m not I will be trying to make this, great group of people and it seems everyone is getting on in the spirt they should do so will be a great night, the only thing that will stop me is I had a late night last night (little day 4 spoiler but not what you might think) so may have to so what my body thinks about partying.

(I’m writing all this on an IPad and it’s really getting on my nerves how while I’m typing quickly it randomly adds numbers instead of the letter I have typed, fed up going back and changing it so I’m not go8ng to d9 it from now 9n, you guys will get the drift though, promise I’m not makin* this up, anyone know how to stop it?)

No Ide5 bud6y.

Glad you're having a great time and enjoying the updates.

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2018, 08:27:27 PM »

That trek to the convention centre is a pain, even if you're driving it, and even worse when you take the scenic route at ~2am Cheesy

I popped over to the Sky comp last night, but Tikay said you had left, and I didn't want to try nabbing you at 11pm after busting a comp.

Hope you miss the Golf tonight, and get a touch in that comp at the Wynn!

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:58 PM »

Day 4 Contd

I’m not one for remembering specific hands too well so will not be able to go into much detail. Will talk about a few of note but before that remember when I said I had prepped well and was feeling great, well 49 players and I busted 45ish, didn’t even get to play with Mr Channing who arrived late and walked in as I was walking out and was the empty seat at my table.

Could not get anything going. Probably made 1 bad call on turn when I had JTos on a J high board with 2 diamonds and the river comes a diamond and 24Caliber (eventual runner up) shoved all in and I made a crying fold, at the chip stacks I should have just reraised all in on J high flop. This hand left me a <15bbs Stack.

A few hands earlier, can’t remember exact bbs , I called a MP raise on B.B. with AThh, B.B. who was Granite89 (eventual winner) called. Flop comes AT2, lovely, ck bet call reraise was the action, Granites re raise was quite large and dint give me much room to do anything other than shove, I was certain he would call a shove with his sizing, which meant he knew that was my only option so must have wanted it, I was happy to play for stacks. He had AT.... but the turn was a second heart, sweat on..... blank river, chop chop, nothing to see here.

Exit hand was nothing special, raise, I’m all in, it’s 5bbs more to call, I have AT I think, he has KJ, jack on flop seals the deal. Was in for about two hours, had a good time in a great atmosphere but went back to the room and sulked.

And then....
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »

Thanks guys, nice knowing it’s being read. Anyway I’ll continue later, need to win 40k in this Wynn. Lovely card room, nice Dim Sums, surprised the chips are dirty though, haven’t seen chips like this since the old Luton G, lol.
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »

another reader hear

thanks for the updates, great fun to read about your trip

gl today
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »

Another reader here.

It took me far too long, really, having seen your pic published by Kendal, to realise that I do in fact recognise you from Luton G. We've had brief, friendly exchanges so I get your commentary on making an effort to speak to people. I'm a little more reserved, unless I've had a few beers, and since I have a lengthy drive to Luton I'm rather slow to build relationships.

As others have said, it's always fun reading about other peoples' first time experience of Vegas. It really is a place that can turn a 40-something (++) into something akin to a child on Christmas Day. The good news is that it's just the same on each subsequent visit.

Delighted to read that you're loving it; I really hope that you land a big one, Omm.

Cheers & vbol
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: