blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:17:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Leave no stone unreturned...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leave no stone unreturned...  (Read 5052 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

I mean, I see their point, but it all seems a bit heavy-handed to me. How much resource & money was spent tracing the pebble thief?

What you reckon, reasonable, or bonkers?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/21/holidaymaker-stole-pebbles-cornwall-beach-threatened-prosecution/

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »

Seems reasonable. Reading the article it seems the stones/pebbles serve a purpose.

If they put up say 300 gold bars to do the same job, would it be OK to steal them?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:37:11 PM »

Seems reasonable. Reading the article it seems the stones/pebbles serve a purpose.

If they put up say 300 gold bars to do the same job, would it be OK to steal them?

Gold bars would be different, that'd be a carat on a stick.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »

Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »

If if were gold then the notice would be fair enough - the local authorities couldn’t be accused of bullion people.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

Groan

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »

Seems reasonable. Where I lived until recently the council would pay for several lorry loads of pebbles every 2 or 3 years to be delivered and dumped on our beach to counteract the amount that had gone missing.

Except 99% of those missing pebbles were because of the sea.

The pebbles are almost always going to be someone's legal property - and conceptually there's little difference between taking a pebble from a beach and taking a stone from a stone wall around a field (for example); but in practice it's not really going to make any significant difference.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »

Seems reasonable. Where I lived until recently the council would pay for several lorry loads of pebbles every 2 or 3 years to be delivered and dumped on our beach to counteract the amount that had gone missing.

The pebbles are almost always going to be someone's legal property - and conceptually there's little difference between taking a pebble from a beach and taking a stone from a stone wall around a field (for example); but in practice it's not really going to make any significant difference.

Why would you take a stone from a stone wall that someone has spent their time building?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »

If if were gold then the notice would be fair enough - the local authorities couldn’t be accused of bullion people.

Aye, It's arum job.

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »

Why would you take a stone from a stone wall that someone has spent their time building?

Why would you take a pebble from a beach that people had spend their time building?

My point was that they were analogous.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:14 PM »

Why would you take a pebble from a beach that people had spend their time building?

I wouldn't. When I was young I wanted to take sand home from the beach, and my father told me it is against the law to take anything from a beach, so I don't.

But if I did, it would just be theft. You going around taking stones from people's walls is vandalism.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 09:42:22 PM »

I wouldn't. When I was young I wanted to take sand home from the beach, and my father told me it is against the law to take anything from a beach, so I don't.

But if I did, it would just be theft. You going around taking stones from people's walls is vandalism.

That's a bit extreme Mr T. What about taking a shell or an attractive pebble, seaweed to eat, a dead fish? Surely there's a common sense line to be drawn somewhere.

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »

To be honest I'm not quite sure why you've got so hung up on a hypothetical wall; I could have said a tree from a park or a bulb from a street light (for example) - I was just trying to illustrate the point that while taking pebbles from the beach is (usually) technically the same, in practice it doesn't really make a noticeable difference.

And I'm pretty sure knowing that taking things from a beach is technically theft is a pretty useful thing for all parents to know to avoid having to worry about bags of sand/pebbles etc in cars and trains.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »

To be honest I'm not quite sure why you've got so hung up on a hypothetical wall; I could have said a tree from a park or a bulb from a street light (for example) - I was just trying to illustrate the point that while taking pebbles from the beach is (usually) technically the same, in practice it doesn't really make a noticeable difference.

And I'm pretty sure knowing that taking things from a beach is technically theft is a pretty useful thing for all parents to know to avoid having to worry about bags of sand/pebbles etc in cars and trains.

I think it does make a difference if you are taking trees from parks or bulbs from street lights. I really don't think you should be doing that.

A lot of Councils are in a programme of replacing the old bulbs with LED, which require less energy and last much longer, so it might not be so bad if you just take the old ones. Taking any trees is very questionable, though.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »

That's a bit extreme Mr T. What about taking a shell or an attractive pebble, seaweed to eat, a dead fish? Surely there's a common sense line to be drawn somewhere.

Well, this started with a carrier bag full of stones, not one pebble, and was before we knew that Jon is going around pulling up trees from parks but, of course, you're right. I took a photo of him drawing it. Do you take dead fish off the beach?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: