blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Driving bans
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Driving bans  (Read 7274 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »

Pretty sure its going to mean a summer abroad in the sun until September so i should be thankful but it is very annoying none the less

Malta is fully booked for the rest of the year.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 12:49:43 AM »

Ps. Driving abroad Knowing you’re banned will probably lead to any insurance you have being void if you have an accident.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 07:09:57 AM »

You really should have paid attention in that first Speed Awareness Course. Then you would understand that 36 in a 30 limit is worse than 80 on the motorway.

These people may take bookings for August 23rd...

https://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/essential-thinking-skills/speed-awareness-courses/

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »

What's wrong with 80 on the motorway?

I literally have no idea how you can get caught this many times!

Did you have good legal representation in court?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »

27 years of driving i have had a lifetime of 9 points from 3 speeding fines, last one over 10 years ago. all on the open road late at night with no one else on the road.
i never break a 20/30/40/50 mph limit even at 3am in the morning when i am the only person on the road.

I have been overtaken by idiots that think they don't need to obey speed limits but hey if getting somewhere a few minutes (and in some cases seconds) quicker is important to people then feel free to speed
 but you have to be prepared for fines and bans

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »

I guess you'll be coming to Nottingham for a few weekends of greyhounds and poker in May/June.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »

If getting banned was going to cause 'extreme hardship' then why continue speeding?

That's what would be going through my head if I were a judge or magistrate in your case.

I'd also think that you should know better by now and probably know what my decision was going to be before you'd even opened your mouth.

Just playing devil's advocate, you were never getting away with it and to fair even if you had it would only delay the ban a few months anyway.

Might as well take it now so at least you have your licence back for next winter.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »

Suck it up buttercup Wink

Ah! The element of surprise
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:06 PM »

Apart from it being 10mph over the speed limit?

If you are driving at 80 mph and spot an incident in front of you that requires you to stop as soon as you possibly can, then at the precise point where you would have stopped if you were doing 70mph, you will still be travelling at 38mph.

So if that need to stop is a tanker that has jackknifed and is blocking the road, you stop short at 70. But hit it at 38mph if you were doing 80.

Is your attentiveness at 80 sufficiently good to cope with that extra six car lengths of awareness?

By the way, at 100 mph you would still be doing 71mph as you passed the point where you would have stopped if driving at the speed limit.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »

If you are driving at 80 mph and spot an incident in front of you that requires you to stop as soon as you possibly can, then at the precise point where you would have stopped if you were doing 70mph, you will still be travelling at 38mph.

So if that need to stop is a tanker that has jackknifed and is blocking the road, you stop short at 70. But hit it at 38mph if you were doing 80.

Is your attentiveness at 80 sufficiently good to cope with that extra six car lengths of awareness?

By the way, at 100 mph you would still be doing 71mph as you passed the point where you would have stopped if driving at the speed limit.

To be fair I don't think you have taken my attentiveness into the first calculation.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »

To be fair I don't think you have taken my attentiveness into the first calculation.

I don’t think that’s where his calculation fails. If you are supremely attentive and slam on straight away, you will still take longer to stop from 80 than 70. Your stopping distance from 80 may be less than someone else’s from 70, but it is still more than yours from 70. Where it fails is it assumes that we are all driving too close and not leaving enough stopping distance.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2019, 03:53:50 PM »

attentiveness and keeping distance are a pretty good way of avoiding tickets in any case.

I look out for brake lights flashing ahead and slow down when I see them.  I also try to avoid being at the front or the rear of a group of cars.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2019, 07:19:11 PM »

I don’t think that’s where his calculation fails. If you are supremely attentive and slam on straight away, you will still take longer to stop from 80 than 70. Your stopping distance from 80 may be less than someone else’s from 70, but it is still more than yours from 70. Where it fails is it assumes that we are all driving too close and not leaving enough stopping distance.

No no, I meant I probably hadn't stopped after the first incident.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2019, 07:26:03 PM »

As a general rule, if you are exceeding the speed limit on the motorway you are likely to be closing on the cars in front of you and are at risk of not leaving enough stopping distance.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »

You need a better lawyer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

Or a better optician.

Get Waze on your phone/satnav, the police and camera warnings are very good.

And stop getting caught in 30/40 zones. The risk vs incremental time saving is tiny compared to driving to the prevailing conditions on NSL roads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: