blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:18:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A Pro's evaluation on PT4 memory data collection wanted!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Pro's evaluation on PT4 memory data collection wanted!  (Read 11798 times)
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »

It's likely I will need to do some upgrading/additional SSD on my flagging computer soon, maybe a new tower and I would like to know how much storage your PT4/HEM takes up when you are running a few tables over a long period of time on a regular basis please. I'm happy to have any info as a post here or via pm. It's info for my use only. TYIA

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »

8gb should be plenty, i've always had 16gb and it's smooth as you like.

the things that will slow it down when running is not running on SSD (basically a crime at this point) and very large numbers of hands.  if you're on SSD and under 1million hands with 16gb RAM it should never really suffer from any sort of slow down.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »

8gb should be plenty, i've always had 16gb and it's smooth as you like.

the things that will slow it down when running is not running on SSD (basically a crime at this point) and very large numbers of hands.  if you're on SSD and under 1million hands with 16gb RAM it should never really suffer from any sort of slow down.

Beat me to it.

The older I get, the better I was.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:45:48 PM »

Have a look at NVMe hard disks if you have a recent motherboard, they can be up to 10x the speed of regular SSDs.
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »

Thanks guys, much appreciated x

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »

Any time.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »

Any time.

the other thing Red was going to say is that HEM is generally alot more laggy than PT.

Hand2Note is a newer product by a Russian guy which is much smoother with some nice advanced options but it ends up costing more due to a monthly subscription as opposed to one off payment.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »

Any time.

the other thing Red was going to say is that HEM is generally alot more laggy than PT.

Hand2Note is a newer product by a Russian guy which is much smoother with some nice advanced options but it ends up costing more due to a monthly subscription as opposed to one off payment.

Correctamundo.

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »

HEM3 just finished or is in the final stages of beta testing. It seems to run smoother and is less of a resource hog than 2.
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »

I have PT4 Holdem and Omaha but mainly just using Holdem at the mo, I don't have Notecaddy yet. I'm talking to a good friend who can build computers but I'm not techy enough to do that yet with help from him via any means so it's going to be a supplier bought one. He has asked me questions on how much storage I would need for the PT4 database. His thoughts are that if I went with an SSD he would use it for the essential computer programs whereas I went for using it for the PT4 storage so that would mean possibly an internal and external SSD which brings the spec and cost into the equation and my questions as I have a budget to begin with so all your thoughts have been gratefully received.

Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 10:38:59 PM »

Red Dog sums it up perfectly IMO.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »

It's truly humbling. Mere words cannot express how grateful you are to have me here.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »

I have PT4 Holdem and Omaha but mainly just using Holdem at the mo, I don't have Notecaddy yet. I'm talking to a good friend who can build computers but I'm not techy enough to do that yet with help from him via any means so it's going to be a supplier bought one. He has asked me questions on how much storage I would need for the PT4 database. His thoughts are that if I went with an SSD he would use it for the essential computer programs whereas I went for using it for the PT4 storage so that would mean possibly an internal and external SSD which brings the spec and cost into the equation and my questions as I have a budget to begin with so all your thoughts have been gratefully received.

essential computer programs = windows and poker database 

Until you start playing huge volume you wont have a huge database so you shouldn't worry about filling an SSD 'too quick'.

What is your budget ? what are you looking at? what do you want to use the pc for and games or just browsing and poker?

do you need a laptop or can you get a desktop?
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »

Until you start playing huge volume you wont have a huge database so you shouldn't worry about filling an SSD 'too quick'.

What is your budget ? what are you looking at? what do you want to use the pc for and games or just browsing and poker?

Initial budget is 1k and that is for a new tower with an SSD plus possibly another SSD (I'm waiting for my buddy to come back with his shortlist) as I already have 2 good screens (I'm like Harry Potter, under the stairs so the sizes can't change) I'll also need a camera but they aren't expensive. I'd also like some recording software, maybe there is a good free one or that can be added later.

Thanks Titty x

Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »

Initial budget is 1k and that is for a new tower with an SSD plus possibly another SSD (I'm waiting for my buddy to come back with his shortlist) as I already have 2 good screens (I'm like Harry Potter, under the stairs so the sizes can't change) I'll also need a camera but they aren't expensive. I'd also like some recording software, maybe there is a good free one or that can be added later.

Thanks Titty x

I forgot to say, we are looking at towers that I'll be able to upgrade myself at a later date with more memory, better CPU, graphics etc as i can do that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: