blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Recommend a laptop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recommend a laptop.  (Read 9528 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »

I'm looking to get an XPS, but the 13 nowadays, now that I don't really play poker anymore.

Expensive business, all these decent laptops.

When shopkeepers see Tom making his way to their shops, I bet they pull the shutters down & hide.

I'm after some tea-bags, but it depends, see....   

Tea... Pffffffffft!!

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »

When shopkeepers see Tom making his way to their shops, I bet they pull the shutters down & hide.

I'm after some tea-bags, but it depends, see....   

Tea is easy.

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/p/1002320?cm_mmc=Google-_-pla_gen_cleaning-and-catering_gosc-_-cleaning-and-catering-_-1002320&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9fP29o_G4QIVzbDtCh2UTQHuEAQYASABEgKjnvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The older I get, the better I was.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »

get an ex business lenovo thinkpad

stick an  ssd in (I am not expert and did it easily) they have generally been very lightly used and are as strong as an oxx

I have probably dropped mine 10 times sometimes on purpose and still going fine

Cost me about £120 for the laptop and the rest for the ssd

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 07:32:00 PM »

get an ex business lenovo thinkpad

stick an  ssd in (I am not expert and did it easily) they have generally been very lightly used and are as strong as an oxx

I have probably dropped mine 10 times sometimes on purpose and still going fine

Cost me about £120 for the laptop and the rest for the ssd

This sounds interesting.

How much is "The rest?"

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »

No offence taken at all Tom, it's just with commodity goods such as laptops etc. you pretty much get what you pay for. The 180 quid job will be "slow" - some may never notice. It will play poker - as long as it's only certain sites and won't run a tracker which you might think is a given.

It'll have stonking battery life and be silent. It has a relatively crap screen, some will love it because the icons are bigger than normal.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 07:56:40 PM »

Like I say I am no expert I believe a decent ssd costs £60-£80

Mine is probably 6 years old boots within seconds still never hangs or drags ok I dont run massive programs on it regularly but it has used a lot
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »

No offence taken at all Tom, it's just with commodity goods such as laptops etc. you pretty much get what you pay for. The 180 quid job will be "slow" - some may never notice. It will play poker - as long as it's only certain sites and won't run a tracker which you might think is a given.

It'll have stonking battery life and be silent. It has a relatively crap screen, some will love it because the icons are bigger than normal.

I don't run a tracker but I don't want to be restricted to certain sites.

I don't have Sky sports but I occasionally use a friend's Sky go log in to watch Sports on my laptop.

On my old Vostro I requested a matt screen because the glossy one was too reflective, nut that might not be an option, or even a problem these days.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »

Like I say I am no expert I believe a decent ssd costs £60-£80

Mine is probably 6 years old boots within seconds still never hangs or drags ok I dont run massive programs on it regularly but it has used a lot

Sounds like a good solution.

There seems to be a lot of Thinkpad models though....

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »

How soon do you need one Tom? I'm upgrading mine fairly soon so may have a second hand one available.

It's pretty big and chunky but has a 17" screen and is pretty high spec for its age with an i7 processor. 8GB RAM and a 1TB SSD hard drive.

It may be 6 months before I finally take the plunge and change so it really comes down to how quickly you need one.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »

How soon do you need one Tom? I'm upgrading mine fairly soon so may have a second hand one available.

It's pretty big and chunky but has a 17" screen and is pretty high spec for its age with an i7 processor. 8GB RAM and a 1TB SSD hard drive.

It may be 6 months before I finally take the plunge and change so it really comes down to how quickly you need one.

Does it come with it's browsing history intact?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »

I'm not too bothered about big and chunky, I never take it anywhere so it seems like a good option. Just bear me in mind when you're ready.

I just have to find someone to buy mine now.....

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »

Cheesy

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »

Ha ha, I thought about that whilst I was typing out my previous message.

It's a work laptop so it's actually pretty 'clean'.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »

If your laptop is just feeling a bit slow Tom and the screen, keyboard etc. are OK, buy a SSD and replace the current hard disk. Will feel like you've stuck a turbocharger in it and only costs £40ish.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »

Incred Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: