blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:38:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  As the saying go’s....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: As the saying go’s....  (Read 6189 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »

Action talks, bullshit walks.....as a follow on to the other thread.

What if anything are you going to do  differently to do to help the environment going forward? Even if nothing just say so....

- I try and choose food packing that is as minimal on plastic as possible, I’d do it a lot more if it was made easy for me, the food industry need to make it easier for me
- My wife has recently gone veggie, having tasted some of her food I will eat less meat, won’t give it up but will eat less for sure, the better meat substitutes taste the more I would be willing to eat them.

What about you lot?

I’m not stopping going on holidays that’s for sure, can tell you that right now......are those rattling on about it doing their bit about this?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:02:53 PM by Woodsey » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »

What if anything are you going to do  differently to do to help the environment going forward? Even if nothing just say so....

- I try and choose food packing that is as minimal on plastic as possible, I’d do it a lot more if it was made easy for me, the food industry need to make it easier for me
- My wife has recently gone veggie, having tasted some of her food I will eat less meat, won’t give it up but will eat less for sure, the better meat substitutes taste the more I would be willing to eat them.

What about you lot?

I’m not stopping going on holidays that’s for sure, can tell you that right now......are those rattling on about it doing their bit about this?

I'm a minimal consumer of just about everything, walk to the shops and haven't taken a flight in 7 years because of my concern about the environment. Pretty puritanical. Wish more people were like me

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »

^ Fair enough mate, there’s a few jokes that spring to mind but in the spirit you doing the right thing I’ll spare you on this occasion   Smiley
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:36:08 PM »

What about you lot?

I'm a minimal consumer of just about everything, walk to the shops and haven't taken a flight in 7 years because of my concern about the environment. Pretty puritanical. Wish more people were like me

All in Cheesy

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:03:05 PM »

I’m glad something had come up like this.

Now and then I do online shopping (when a promo), but I am appalled by supermarkets on how they pack their groceries. Ocado recently sent me my order with 7 bags, but yet it would fit in three. They told me it’s how products are packed. This is similar across all supermarkets. I literally get a multi-pack guna & bog roll in one bag. In that bag they could have included much more.

It’s worrying when this is happening across all supermarkets. How much plastic is this wasting?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »

I have been avoiding single use plastic bags for a long time, and do try and cut down on all plastic.  You can but veggies loose, and get meat from the counter, but I do struggle with milk, juices etc.  Growing my own berries and tomatoes cuts down on plastic for the warmer months of the year.  My wife gets shopping online when she does it and I get grumpy about all the bags and plastic in the fridge.

I worked next to a Vegan 3 or 4 years ago, and since then I have tried to cut meat down. In things like chilli, you can't really tell if it is quorn or minced beef.  When I cook roast chicken I get a smaller chicken and get loads of veg etc.  I don't really eat a lot of beef and lamb these days.  I don't know if it is just psychological, but I definitely feel better cooking things from scratch, cutting down on meat and avoiding ready meals.

My daughter is badgering me to get an electric car, but I can't really afford a newish car right now.  I will definitely consider one strongly when I reach that stage.  Even though I sometimes have to travel a distance for work, the ranges of these new vehicles mean it is possible to do them in an electric car nowadays. 

I was going to get a greenhouse to extend the growing season, but can building that be more environmentally friendily than just buying stuff in a shop?  My shed is knacked, and I have no idea whether I should get a plastic one as it isn't going to go rotten and fall apart like my old wooden one, but not sure on this.  Because it is longer lasting, does it cause less damage to the environment than the 3 wooden sheds I would need in the same time?  Or does the next fellla in this house just go "I am getting rid of that plastic monstrosity"?  

Still fly too much though, but am happy to get the train up to Scotland from down South.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »

When I started thinking about this thread, I struggled to think of a single thing I have done to be more "green" or eco-friendly than previously.

Of course, I want us to behave more responsibly, but I could not think of anything I'd done to help.

Then it occurred to me that those flimsy single use plastic bags were banned from Supermarkets in October 2015. My local supermarket gave away free, very strong "lifetime" plastic bags for a few weeks, & I got one. 4 years later that bag is torn & tattered, but still surviving.

I shop every day, as I like fresh bananas & tomatoes, so I've used that bag some 1,500 times. More to the point, that's 1,500 single use bags not used by one person.

Multiply that by a street, an area, a town or whatever, that's an awful lot of plastic not used.

I don't suppose it will save the world - nothing will - but every little must help.

I have more to do of course - I aspire to be a saint, like that nirvana fella, the one who used to be a wino, but I fear I am not worthy.  

Here's nirvana trying to scare us with his mean & menacing guise.  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:17:22 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »

Now and then I do online shopping (when a promo), but I am appalled by supermarkets on how they pack their groceries. Ocado recently sent me my order with 7 bags, but yet it would fit in three. They told me it’s how products are packed. This is similar across all supermarkets. I literally get a multi-pack guna & bog roll in one bag. In that bag they could have included much more.

It’s worrying when this is happening across all supermarkets. How much plastic is this wasting?

A lot of supermarkets now do bagless home deliveries.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:05 AM »

Tesco only do bagless deliveries for home deliveries now (they stopped offering the bagged service a few months ago).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »

At least he is consistent, one supermarket delivers with bags, so they must all deliver with bags.  Cheesy

Personally I haven't done much, I relentlessly forget to take a bag with me to the shop, I love eating lots of meat and I have just ordered another diesel motor.

Work wise I have done a bit better, last year we had a bio-mass boiler installed and 100% LED lighting.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »

I'll be switching to an electric car next time. Probably in a couple of years.

Did a Vegan week a while back just as a trial. Since then I've used Koko on cereal instead of milk, so milk consumption has gone right down. Only use it for tea, coffee and cat purposes now. Koko is the nuts on cereal tbf.

Meat substitutes suck. If they ever find something decent I'd happily switch.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »

Did a Vegan week a while back just as a trial. Since then I've used Koko on cereal instead of milk, so milk consumption has gone right down. Only use it for tea, coffee and cat purposes now. Koko is the nuts on cereal tbf.

Wait. Choppy has a CAT?

What is its name?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »

i walk a lot more in last year (as im only 15 mins walk from work). But apart from that i cant really say ive changed too much
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »

Wait. Choppy has a CAT?

What is its name?

Only ever been known as Fatboy. Big black tom who weighs in at a whopping 8.5kg. Coming up 17, has arthritis and breathing issues that need steroids but still loves life.

Can't beat cats.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 02:09:42 PM »

I don't do anything particularly. I'm not going to stop flying, driving a diesel car or eating meat. but I don't discard plastic or anything else except in a suitable place.

I take all my own waste to the recycling centre and make sure it's all sorted into the proper categories, which is a lot of sorting.

Green waste
Textiles
Wood
Florescent tubes, bulbs and batteries.
Rigid plastic
soft plastic
Cardboard
Scrap metal
Large electrical
Small electrical
Non recyclable (Food waste & heavily soiled packaging, carpets, beds, polythene, polystyrene)
Hardcore & Glass
Gas canisters.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: