blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:01:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  As the saying go’s....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: As the saying go’s....  (Read 6209 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 09:28:48 AM »

I love my plastic shed.

I would buy another if I needed one. (unless a dolphin volunteered to creasote and re felt a wooden one every two years)

The older I get, the better I was.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »

Thank you.

My issue is that the demonisation of 'single-use' plastics is a red herring. They are the best form of food packaging we have. The issue is with disposal, not their use. Just because some people have disposed of them irresponsibly doesn't mean there is any merit in reducing their use. You throw them in the bin and your Council incinerates them, converting them into energy. What is the problem with that?

PS - Landfill has reduced dramatically in recent years so, from being the main form of disposal, it formed just one-eighth of tonnage last year, and is still in free-fall. The massive growth in incineration means that seven-eighths is now split equally between it and recycling, with incineration still increasing.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »

The major thing I do is overlooked.

I am a Science Teacher and have embedded environmental ethics into our schemes of work from Yr7 upwards. I ran an event in school where students put on self written plays on what the world will be like in 50 years time if we don't change our attitude towards carbon emissions. The students loved it and really rose to the challenge and it was a fantastic evening. We now have an environmental club and grow a lot of our own vegetables for the school kitchen. We have recently 'adopted' two bee hives and regularly have up to 100 children on the beach collecting rubbish and taking pride in our coastal location.

Education has a major role to play and we are attempting to raise a more ethically responsible generation of school leavers.

Incoming rant; apologies in advance.

As I suggested......... the impact of the educator is again overlooked.

Education is definitely more important than any one person turning vegan or committing to recycling their plastic yet no-one ever talks about it.

Teachers are so under-appreciated in modern society. We are not exactly well payed yet myself and many of my colleagues pour our heart and soul into trying to prepare young people for an ever changing world and for them to have a positive impact upon it. I'm entirely positive the impact me and other educators are having on young people will result in a more environmentally savvy population and have a significant long term positive effect on sustainability.

OK, rant over. As you were.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »

It's not overlooked. Well no more overlooked than the importance of a myriad of trades and professions. Its a bit like saying fathers are overlooked for their role as a father. its a role we choose and don't accrue any special merit points because of it.

sola virtus nobilitat
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »

Thank you.

My issue is that the demonisation of 'single-use' plastics is a red herring. They are the best form of food packaging we have. The issue is with disposal, not their use. Just because some people have disposed of them irresponsibly doesn't mean there is any merit in reducing their use. You throw them in the bin and your Council incinerates them, converting them into energy. What is the problem with that?

PS - Landfill has reduced dramatically in recent years so, from being the main form of disposal, it formed just one-eighth of tonnage last year, and is still in free-fall. The massive growth in incineration means that seven-eighths is now split equally between it and recycling, with incineration still increasing.

Lol. I was with you for a little while until you decided we can just burn the problem Cheesy

Plastic is incredible. I can't begin to imagine the lives it's saved over the years but it will be countless millions. I don't demonise plastic and I use a lot of it including a lot of single use plastic.

Absolutely the problem is disposal but if we use a little bit less then surely there is less to dispose of (or set fire to).....?

There's an argument that burying plastic is actually better than burning it. If you burn it you create CO2 which isn't ideal. If you bury it you've captured that CO2 pretty much forever. Even if you don't bury it the CO2 is captured within the plastic for hundreds of years as it won't decompose.

We do see a lot of unnecessary plastic package though don't we? Bananas and oranges packed in plastic bags. Why? Just not necessary.

And absolutely you should pat yourself on the back for 'doing your bit'. Just don't get on a high horse thinking you're better than everyone else because you own a cotton bag for life. The energy it takes to produce one of those compared to plastic bags is frightening.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: