blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Level 1 - Stars 180 tourney
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Level 1 - Stars 180 tourney  (Read 2532 times)
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 12:04:37 AM »

Knowing all that do i really want to put my whole tourney on the line in level 1 to calling an all in.  unless i am the aggressor and have fold equity there is a strong case for folding?

If this was not a $20 180 tourney on stars but the 1st level of a €4000 EPT at the Vic would your answer still be call?  Am i not better off waiting for better opportunities?  A double up doesnt even mean i am gonna make the final able at this stage!

Really appreciate everyone's views.

Thanks

No, there are often so many idiots early on, if you don't take there chips they they'll go to someone who can actually play and it'll be a lot harder to accumulate. Here I'd guess the chance of Matey already having the flush to be incredibly low. Secondly, you don't necessarily 'know' you'll get a better situation, you've played here to hit your set, stick it in man!! Wink

bundle

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 12:33:01 AM »

you've played here to hit your set, stick it in man!! Wink

I disagree with this, yes he has hit his set, but it’s now possible it’s up against a royal draw a straight, and already made flush a draw to a flush. I don’t disagree with the call, just the willy nilly way it’s been said to call.

If you like to gamble then go ahead and make the call, but for me in this spot I look at how much I have invested first,. How many hands beat mine, am I ahead maybe.

I have very little invested with a reasonable size stack left, you will find better spots to put your chips in, It’s a tourney ffs not a race. You show me someone that keeps putting his chips in on a maybe, and I’ll show you someone that don’t make many finals…
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 12:55:26 AM »

you've played here to hit your set, stick it in man!! Wink

I disagree with this, yes he has hit his set, but it’s now possible it’s up against a royal draw a straight, and already made flush a draw to a flush. I don’t disagree with the call, just the willy nilly way it’s been said to call.

If you like to gamble then go ahead and make the call, but for me in this spot I look at how much I have invested first,. How many hands beat mine, am I ahead maybe.

I have very little invested with a reasonable size stack left, you will find better spots to put your chips in, It’s a tourney ffs not a race. You show me someone that keeps putting his chips in on a maybe, and I’ll show you someone that don’t make many finals…

I call here 100% of the time, and so do every single one of my friends, and we certainly make more then our fair share (by a pretty huge margin) of finals

I assert that anyone who thinks their advantage over the field is so immense that they can throw away a set in this tourney against that bet, is deluding themselves.

If you want more knowledgable opinions, you can search google for posts from Raymer/Sklansky/Paul Phillips who have all asserted many times that they would call on the first hand of a $10k tourney if they had a 55% shot. If its good enough for them, then it certainly is good enough for anyone on this board.

bundle

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 01:07:10 AM »

OK LMAO
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 01:11:59 AM »

OK LMAO

your lucid and reasoned response has swayed me. If you dont believe me, please do search the google archives and see what they say. Its not like the information is hidden

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 01:32:44 AM by totalise » Logged
bundle

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 03:09:50 AM »

Stop being so condescending and opinionated.
If you Raymer and all your mates wanna take an early bath claiming +EV that’s fine I never said it was a bad call.
But if anyone chooses to fold and play a bit more poker, then there’s nothing wrong with a fold also.

Incase you didn’t know this analysis board is for peoples opinions, not the law set in stone.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 03:42:08 AM »

Ok so you have invested 180 chips and have 1250 back and are faced with a call for the rest of your chips with trips on a horrible board.
You have 7 outs if you are behind to the flush (not likely given the allin) and your oppo has 8 outs assuming he has a heart (hard to see how he can push without a heart).

So for me you are favourite unless he's open ended too (i would push if i were).

So firstly i ask myself am i in front?  Yes i think i am.
Secondly what are his chances of outdrawing me?  Quite high actually.
Thirdly do i want to risk my chips this early on?  For this buyin and this comp yes, i do it all the time.
I am happy to take on these situations early on in these comps, but there is no way on earth i would do it in a bigger comp (EPT, WPT etc.) simply because i am so marginal against a drawing hand and once you factor in the chance of him having made his hand or that he has a lot more outs it simply isn't worth the risk!

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 10:17:21 AM »

You can call all day long here, resting assured that you're caning a pusher's range on this board.

The only pushing hand i can see ahead of you here is a baby flush but much more likely he has 2 pair, top pair with flush draw, some sort of combination draw with the flush or another flush draw.

You've got a pretty significatn edge over all these hands bar the small made flush which is perhaps the least likely hand.

If you fold , you're just giving up chips, but it might be worth it if you have a last longer bet with someone.

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
RobS

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »

Agree with everything Totalise has said in this thread. Folding here would be nothing short of insanity!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: