blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:00:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Help - Q-Q misplayed yet again!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help - Q-Q misplayed yet again!  (Read 2193 times)
I, Zimbra
Fallen Astronaut

"the wind in my heart, the dust in my head"

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2006, 07:38:59 PM »

OK guys..

Q1: What do I do next when this happens?

Q2: Was I supposed to move all-in pre-flop?

Seat 1: Zimbra (1700 in chips)
Seat 2: xxxxx1 (3210 in chips)
Seat 7: mateyboy (2950 in chips)
Seat 8: xxxxx2 (3090 in chips)
Seat 9: xxxxx3 (2550 in chips)
rebel0226: posts small blind 100
mateyboy: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Zimbra [ ]
xxxxx2: folds
xxxxx3: folds
Zimbra: raises 300 to 500
xxxxx1: folds
mateyboy: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [ ]
mateyboy: checks
Zimbra: ?

Q-Q, I swear, is the hand I misplay with the greatest frequency...

gadji beri bimba clandridi
lauli lonni cadori gadjam
a bim beri glassala glandride
e glassala tuffm i zimbra
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »

No need to move in perflop here, QQ is a strong hand and you want people to call with anything below AA,KK AK. You have to lead on the flop in my opinion a decent sized bet of half the pot, this will win you the pot right now or let you know where you stnad if you are reraised . You will be short if you do have to fold but you will still be in.
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:52:18 PM »

If you have AJ or A10, what would you do preflop? when you have 8.5* the BB, you should be consistent with all your hands, be it AA or w/e. Moving in as a stock move in this chip position is much better then raising small when you have a big hand and raising big when you just want to take the blinds, because it generally signals your hand strength.. which leads to exploitability.. which is bad.

As played, I dont really mind checking behind on this flop. You are either dead to his A, or you have him drawing almost dead, so wait til the turn and get busy. At least that way you give him a chance to bluff you out, so you lose to an Ace and get money from a bluff, rather then betting the flop and losing money to an ace and getting money from nothing.

temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:47:55 PM »

i think the initial raise is pretty good. he could be calling with a suited connector here. in which case maybe he's checking to hit a straight?
i'd check along and see what he does on the turn. if it's a complete blank and he moves all-in you can be sure he's trying to push you off thinking you have KJ or something. if not remain caucious and you may take a small pot. you have plenty of BB left anyway.
I, Zimbra
Fallen Astronaut

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »

Very interesting... three responses, all different!

Any more?

(I need all the help I can get...  thumbs up )

SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 12:22:55 AM »

Mateyboy is in the blind right?

He is most likely checking because he thinks you have raised with an ace. You need to either bet the minimum to find out where you are (as totalise says) or lump it all in. I think it is player dependent. If you think he is capable of throwing away A-10(say) on a flop like this then you should lump it in and represent a strong ace, if you think he is going to call/raise you with any ace then you have to bet around 500 to find out.

Personally i would opt for lumping it all in and praying he doesn't have two pair. I think he preflop call is weak and he would have reraised with the lilkes of A-K etc.
dan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 12:36:51 AM »

i think i may lead out and represent the ace here as i raised preflop. if you are raised you can get away from it and if he fllat calls with the ace he will probably check the turn hoping you bet out again then i would check behind him and you see the river card for free and quite cheaply overall.

if you did check behind him on the flop and he then checks the turn i would then bet.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:18:22 PM »

with 1700 chips, 8.5x bb, I am all in pre flop with any raising hand, completely disguises whether its a monster or something like A rag to an opponent, assuming you do it several times and don't get called. Then you have a greater chance of getting the caller you need for the double up when you have the goods
Post flop, I lead out...if I get raised I probably fold

if i get called hope for check check on the turn, get to river cheap if at all possible.

If he checks turn and river then fire it in. Maybe.  Cool

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 02:12:44 AM »

1700 chips right?

So how does he bet here representing the ace without pot committing himself?!

He raised 500 preflop, leaving himself with 1200. (12 BB's)

Pot is now 1000+

All in preflop for me
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 09:49:38 AM »

Yes you're right my mistake. I thought he had 1700 post flop. I think i would stick it in and hope he didn't have it, unless he's a serial bluffer and then i would have to check and call his turn bet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 04:11:54 PM by SupaMonkey » Logged
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 03:00:37 PM »

I would raise the same preflop (i don't get QQ often enough to just stick it in preflop, i have to try and get value) on the flop i push and turn of my monitor!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
I, Zimbra
Fallen Astronaut

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »

I would raise the same preflop (i don't get QQ often enough to just stick it in preflop, i have to try and get value) on the flop i push and turn of my monitor!
lol

I, Zimbra
Fallen Astronaut

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »

Actually, I just realised why that last one struck me so funny - that's pretty much what I did, only for the fellow to insta-call with A-8 offsuit.

It's even worse than M3 suggests, 1200 is just six big blinds - so I can't bet and pass this time (Bet half the pot and I would only have 3 BBs left...) So I figured I had to hit it and hope.

There is some tilt backstory to this one, as well - I'd had K-K a few hands earlier, done the same thing - and the ace came on the flop that time, too. I bet out to see where I was, got raised all-in by my caller and had to ditch it, leaving myself pretty short.

This time, I had postion, was checked to, and was not really in the mood for ditching again!

Sorta silly really, I suppose - any ace calls, anything else folds...  at least if I'd just moved in pre-flop, it would have been an annoying 70-30 beat rather than a steam-powered, full-on, drag-down, knock-out
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 11:42:17 AM by I, Zimbra » Logged

OffTheRadar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:56 AM »

I don't really feel I'm in a position to be giving advice but here's my opinion for what it's worth.

I think I'd be prepared to check this one right down to the river with a view to calling any bet he may make on the turn or river providing a K or running straight cards don't come. Make the first move and you only get a call if you're beat (and I think any A would call in this spot) whereas checking and calling any future bets gives you the chance of doubling up against a lower PP or outright bluff. You're leaving yourself open to being outdrawn but I think that's a chance I'd be prepared to take.

Like others though, I'm pretty sure I'd be pushing pre-flop.
RobS

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 03:15:43 AM »

I don't really feel I'm in a position to be giving advice but here's my opinion for what it's worth.

I think I'd be prepared to check this one right down to the river with a view to calling any bet he may make on the turn or river providing a K or running straight cards don't come. Make the first move and you only get a call if you're beat (and I think any A would call in this spot) whereas checking and calling any future bets gives you the chance of doubling up against a lower PP or outright bluff. You're leaving yourself open to being outdrawn but I think that's a chance I'd be prepared to take.

Like others though, I'm pretty sure I'd be pushing pre-flop.

This basically what I was going to write. Apart from the pushing preflop bit. The preflop raise I think is ok, particularly if you think your opponents aren't paying attention tov what you are doing and won't necessarily read you for a monster.

If you make any size of bet on the flop he isn't folding an ace, but will fold a worse hand than QQ. If you check, this may induce him to bluff the turn or river, and also if he has ace-rag there is a chance that he will read your flop check as a trap with an ace and a big kicker and he then may check the hand down.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: