blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:20:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272711 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 609360 times)
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: May 07, 2017, 09:26:53 PM »

5 entries. United straight through to the group stage
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2656 on: May 07, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »

So top 4 are fine. Do we lose a Europa entry?

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 07, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »

It always makes me laugh when people talk about the top 4 finish.  You are not gtd a CL group stage place.  You have to qualify (albeit any EPL side should be a decent fav to do so) but it isn't 100% certain.  Jose has done exactly the right thing and gone all out to win the Europa League and get a group stage pass.  If he had tried to win both and destroy the limited squad he has rest wise he would end up with nothing more likely than not.  Do people not remember Everton finishing 4th and being busto'd in qualifying and not making the CL group stage?
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 07, 2017, 09:33:56 PM »

Not sure. Spain only had 2 europa entries this year after Sevilla shipped it to get CL. I would think they normally have 3 entries like England and other top countries so I'm tentatively saying yes.
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2659 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »

Not sure. Spain only had 2 europa entries this year after Sevilla shipped it to get CL. I would think they normally have 3 entries like England and other top countries so I'm tentatively saying yes.

That was my thinking, usually when an English club gets anywhere near winning a European trophy the media are banging on about how it means that X team will miss out on X competition. My thinking is that we'd lose a Europa place for league finish, but probably dependent on where Utd finish. So if they win Europa and finish 5th, then only 6th and FA Cup would make Europa? But if Arsenal are 6th and win FA Cup then 7th as well... ? Does that make sense?

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 07, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »

I think you're right. All I know for sure is that Arsenal are a lock for the Europa. Which I'm perfectly happy with as I'm hoping for some interesting aways to go to next season!
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 08, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »

That was my thinking, usually when an English club gets anywhere near winning a European trophy the media are banging on about how it means that X team will miss out on X competition. My thinking is that we'd lose a Europa place for league finish, but probably dependent on where Utd finish. So if they win Europa and finish 5th, then only 6th and FA Cup would make Europa? But if Arsenal are 6th and win FA Cup then 7th as well... ? Does that make sense?

7th go into the Euro League qualifiers for the EL group stages. So Everton are confirmed as being in Europe next season.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 08, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »

I can't believe that I'm the only one so impressed by Rob Holding's play and potential.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 08, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »

I can't believe that I'm the only one so impressed by Rob Holding's play and potential.

Not at all, he's done very well, it's just whether or not he'll get the game time.  He shouldn't have been dropped for the sp*rs game but had to sit it out.  Would be good to see him play the last few games of the season and the cup final. Hopefully he won't end up getting farmed out on loan never to be seen again.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 09, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »

Arsenal director of football target Michael Zorc sounded out over Premier League job

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/08/arsenal-director-football-target-michael-zorc-sounded-premier/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 10, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

football supporter catnip

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 10, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »

this was interesting

Arsene Wenger worries for football if teams who don't dominate possession like LCFC and CFC keep winning the title

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/09/arsene-wenger-chelsea-follow-trend-set-leicester-avoid-seizing/

not sureits exactly the style Atleti, dortmund,juve adopt successfully across europe

thoughts?

My eyes are open wide
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 10, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »

this was interesting

Arsene Wenger worries for football if teams who don't dominate possession like LCFC and CFC keep winning the title

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/09/arsene-wenger-chelsea-follow-trend-set-leicester-avoid-seizing/

not sureits exactly the style Atleti, dortmund,juve adopt successfully across europe

thoughts?

I guess it depends on your priorities as a football fan.

Would you rather be watching the beautiful game or winning at all costs with something more pragmatic.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 10, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »

this was interesting

thoughts?

Would you rather be watching the beautiful game or winning at all costs with something more pragmatic.

well there is something rather beautiful about playing on the counter-attack, sweeping forward and transitioning quickly one end to the other?

there's a place for possession based and the other to me.

neither is long ball/ hoof ball win at all costs.different strokes for different squads depending on talent level/tactics/managerialstyle etc

Someone like Diego Simeone (oft mooted as a potential Arsenal manager). Watching his Atleti team in person defend brilliantly and counter the other week,it was poetry.

My eyes are open wide
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 10, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »

this was interesting

thoughts?

well there is something rather beautiful about playing on the counter-attack, sweeping forward and transitioning quickly one end to the other?

there's a place for possession based and the other to me.

neither is long ball/ hoof ball win at all costs.different strokes for different squads depending on talent level/tactics/managerialstyle etc

Someone like Diego Simeone (oft mooted as a potential Arsenal manager). Watching his Atleti team in person defend brilliantly and counter the other week,it was poetry.

There undoubtedly is something to be said for a swift counter-attack - I'd simply prefer it not to be my team's plan A.

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: