blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Edin 110£ freezeout
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Edin 110£ freezeout  (Read 1663 times)
chckndik
Probation

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »

I also was the tournament last night....here's my bad beat story and also if anyone could give their opinions on how i played this hand i'd appreciate it....The blinds were 200/400 with the 25 ante...i had about 12K...it was folded to me on the button and i made it 1800 to go with  ....the BB, who i had played a few pots with and seemed to be ana gressive player...paused then reraised another 4K....he had about 5.5 K left and i had him covered...my first instinct was to fold but then i weighed up the info i had...1.he was aggressive 2. i thought he put me on a button steal 3.he was trying to stare me out which i thought was a sign of weakness 4. his bet led me to believe he didnt want to get called 5. he left himself enough chips to be able to fold and the idea i had was that 80 plus players were left the blind structure was fast, i'm here to win and i put him on a medium pair and thought this was a good time to try and get some chips. I reraised him all in thinking he might even fold. He thinks, looks frustrated and calls with K6! and of course hits his 6, and has this smug look that made me wish poker was a contact sport!I'm crippled and gone. I didnt have to do what i did but went with my read and was right. Any thoughts guys and girls?
GrannyDee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »

Very much a read dependant situation. You say he has been aggressive and of course you believe he could make this move with a wide range of hands however there is absolutely no shame in folding this hand given the chip counts. If you push allin he has the odds to call with a lot of hands and it wouldn't want to risk a lot of my chips on just King high. He could have an Ace high/med pair in which case he is a slight favorite. Surely I could find a better spot to stuck your chips in.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:18:34 AM »

It's 200-400 you have a good hand on the button, it's a hand that does well seeing flops and so i would never raise more than standard (1200ish) why did you make such a big raise with KQ? In situations where you have 30 BB you shouldn't really be open raising for more than the pot.

Your oppo now re-raises 4k, so he makes it 5.8k to go, leaving 5.5k. This now becomes a fairly standard pass for me, he has commited himself to the hand, you said you think he will pass but i can't see how he will be getting 3-1 for his money, he is calling with any 2 cards. Now the question is do we think KQ is ahead against his range, we have 3 things to consider here:

He is an aggresive opponent (is he capable of a re-steal)

Our table image (i am guessing from your 1800 raise that you don't like to get involved with flops too often, he probably has you down as a TAG, the question is does he think you are weak as well, will you be passing too many hands in this spot.

Physical reads, the least important aspect, we should only use physical reads when decisions are very marginal. They are too easy to fake/miss read.

It looks like a re-steal is possible here but its improbable, the blinds are only 200-400 and you have made an over bet pre flop. The physical read is not enough for me to go on (he could be making this move with AT/77 and look just the same) there is not enough of a chance that he is making a move for me to call here, a pass and kick yourself for pricing yourself out with the over-raise.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
chckndik
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »

Looking back i agree...i didnt mean to raise that much. To be honest i've never played in a tourney with antes before so i tried to add the sum of the antes to my raise which was meant to be 4X the BB. I dont know what to make of the whole thing, my read was spot on, but as you guys point out i had no business putting in my whole stack on KQ...I suppose i was just another victim of trying to be a hero syndrome and got a horrible beat to teach me a lesson!
cheers guys
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »

my read was spot on

This part worries me.

You are just going on a physical read that you think he is weak, that is never enough to commit yourself to a pot, do it over and over and you will go broke pretty fast!

VOC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:42:34 PM by Royal Flush » Logged

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »

Think your play was fine......in that you took time to assess the situation, weighed up all the factors, and made a decision based on how you saw it.
(The only thing I would question is that if you read him for a medium PP you have little or no fold equity, and are therefore calling behind - if only marginally)

The fact that the decision was right is a bonus, and the fact that you lost is just an occupational (or recreational) hazard.

Personally, I probably would have folded, in that there aren't many hands you are miles ahead of and he should call every time you push.

Jak.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »

I demand 50p. Send it in to Kevs blonde pissup fund.
You did everything right and analysed the situation well. I thinsk a smaller preflop raise is the order of the day.
With regards to reads, some of us play a with a more mathematical approach and others with a more read dependant one. I dont know if either is better, but i think a little of both is probably the most effective.
Flushy saying its the least important factor is his personal opinion. Each to their own. Paul Parker laid down a set of nines on an A9X flop in Bolton and he is renowned as a phenomenal player. He read his opponent for a set of aces.
Personally i think reads and psychology play a big part.

GL next time. Remember, all you can do is get ur chips in as a favourite.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »

You did everything right and analysed the situation well. I thinsk a smaller preflop raise is the order of the day.
With regards to reads, some of us play a with a more mathematical approach and others with a more read dependant one. I dont know if either is better, but i think a little of both is probably the most effective.
Flushy saying its the least important factor is his personal opinion. Each to their own. Paul Parker laid down a set of nines on an A9X flop in Bolton and he is renowned as a phenomenal player. He read his opponent for a set of aces.

He read his oppo for AAA based on the betting pattern, not by looking into the guys soul....

VOC

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »

He read his oppo for AAA based on the betting pattern, not by looking into the guys soul....

VOC

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »

lol. ok i couldnt think of an example of a big "read" so threw that in.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 11:41:59 PM »

ok, a better example of how using a physical read telegraphs opponents strngth/weakness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5IAsoajEs

Jennifer Harman v Sammi Farha
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »

ok, a better example of how using a physical read telegraphs opponents strngth/weakness.

PMSL. That pass has nothing to do with a physical read, she has 3 bet the flop into 2 players on a K74 flop, what does she have that Farha beats?

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 12:14:34 AM »

PMSL. That pass has nothing to do with a physical read, she has 3 bet the flop into 2 players on a K74 flop, what does she have that Farha beats?

Bollox. Its to do with the fact that she's gone from being totally engrossed in her bit of paper to wanting to ship all in. ANYONE ELSE NOT SEE THIS AS A BLATANT TELL>??
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:27 AM »

Bollox. Its to do with the fact that she's gone from being totally engrossed in her bit of paper to wanting to ship all in. ANYONE ELSE NOT SEE THIS AS A BLATANT TELL>??

the tell is that she throws all her chips in the middle essentially screaming "I'VE GOT A SET!!" Poor play by Jennifer.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »

You dont think that her feigning disinterest when the flop arrives helps Sammy's decision. And ur right, as a side note her play was shite. Why is she so afrai to give a free card?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: