blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:58:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 162009 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »

right, so UFC 68 is tonight but we get it tomorrow on Bravo 9pm.

I'm going to stick my neck out with some predictions
Mark Hamill to beat Rex Holman TKO 1st round
Babalu to beat Jason Lambert TKO 2nd round
Rich Franklin to beat Jason Macdonald on the judges cards.
Chris Lytle to beat Matt Hughes KO 1st round (definitely betting against the odds here)
Randy Couture to beat Tim Sylvia 3rd round TKO / Cuts stoppage. either that or an early Submission

any other predictions?

4 fights televised
Babalu v Lambert
round 1 went as expected, Babalu dominating on the ground. last 30 secs of round Lambert got to his feet and landed a couple of shots. came out 2nd round and put Babalu to sleep with a monster left hook. Fair enough.

Hughes v Lytle
Hughes abandoned his quest to become respected as a striker and went back to his wrestling. An ugly three rounds of smothering and an easy points win for Hughes. Chris Lytle couldn't evade the take downs and did his best to resist on his back but a one sided fight.

Franklin v MacDonald.
MacDonald make easy work of Ed Herman and Chris Lieban in his last two fights. Last night showed the gulf in class between Herman/Lieban and Franklin. MacDonald had enough by the end of round 2 so a solid win for Franklin. He looked good but I don't see any improvement that would make him any more likely to win a rematch with Anderson Silva.

MAIN EVENT
Randy Couture v Tim Silvia.
One Randy Couture
There's only one Randy Couture...

Awesome performance by Randy. Surprisingly, Randy knocked Tim on his ass with the first overhand right he threw, despite a 7" height disadvantage. Round one was a stalemate on the ground. Randy got Tims back but couldn't develop it. rest of the fight he had Tim Silvia in all kinds of trouble. out striking the big man, taking him down and pounded him. some good submission attempts.

Just a totally dominant performance. Not pretty, but then Randy Couture fights rarely are.

Unfortunately I don't see Randy having the same success striking with Mirko Cro Cop, infact he could get Knocked clean out. However without the reach disadvantage I expect he'll go straight for the take down and if he succeeds,  Randy will breeze through a ground fight. 

Not a vintage night of UFC but Randy Couture winning makes it a great nights viewing
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 01:47:42 PM »

seems I got Matt Hamill v Rex Holman right, though it was TKO 2nd round rather than 1st round
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=21021.msg425965#msg425965
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »

some of my students have mentioned Tony Jaa. just had a look. although 95% of whats in the youtube clips is film stunt work rather than real martial arts, the 5% that's actual Muay Thai basics look pretty good. Keeps the kids coming to Kickboxing clubs which is a good thing but trouble is you spend half the time explaining why jumping spinning back kicks are no use if you're getting mugged down a Nottingham side street.

that said, if Tony Jaa,  Jackie Chan, et al were to get mugged, they wouldn't do any of the flashy film stuff either. It'd be best thigh kick and 10 punches to the noggin.

If Van Damme got mugged, he'd just get mugged
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:16:09 PM by AdamM » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

WOW

you are not going to believe Tito Ortiz's next fight

http://sports.bostonherald.com/ufc/view.bg?articleid=187736
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »

Fair play to White. Mind you how much did they want Tito back? "I'll come back if you'll step into the boxing ring with me" - OK says the boss  Shocked >:?

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »

some of my students have mentioned Tony Jaa. just had a look. although 95% of whats in the youtube clips is film stunt work rather than real martial arts, the 5% that's actual Muay Thai basics look pretty good. Keeps the kids coming to Kickboxing clubs which is a good thing but trouble is you spend half the time explaining why jumping spinning back kicks are no use if you're getting mugged down a Nottingham side street.

that said, if Tony Jaa,  Jackie Chan, et al were to get mugged, they wouldn't do any of the flashy film stuff either. It'd be best thigh kick and 10 punches to the noggin.

If Van Damme got mugged, he'd just get mugged

Yeah, fair one.

My old master in Notts used to say Bruce Lee was better becuase 90% of what he used on film was useable in real life.

From what I've heard though Tony Jaa is also harder than a coffin nail. Jet Li was the Wu-Shu All China champion for his age at 11 - he even went to the White House. I've heard stories from Jackie Chan's youth about how good he was from ancient masters in documentaries etc. (Look out for Jackie's cameo in Tony Jaa's "Warrior King")

There are so many good martial artists in the far east you have to be pretty good to get to the level where you're doing films that "make it" in the west.

Whilst some of it is, as you say, not real, I wouldn't go picking a fight with any of them in the street!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »

who did you train with in Nottingham? was it the Kickfit guys across from the bus station?

I've been to a couple of Richard Bustillo Seminars organised by the Nottingham JKD guys, including one in an underground carpark. scarey night

worth googling Richard Bustillo. one of the all time greats
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 01:27:35 PM by AdamM » Logged
dealerFROMhell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »

What does everyone think about Wanderlei Silva?

Personally, I think they guys the most exciting fighter ever to grace The Octagon, or the Pride ring. If you watch some of his early Vale Tudo bare-knuckle videos, he really does make a mess of people. You just simply cannot beat the guy for out and out aggresion, and the "psychopath" factor. The fights he had with sakuraba were great, when he booted him in the floor and Saks nose exploded... TAXI!

It was a shame to see him lose to Mirko and Henderson. What I admire most about the fella though is the way he took the defeats. At the post-match interview, he said that he has nothing but respect for his fellow fighters, and he wished them good luck for the future. A true warrior.

Mind you, when he took apart Jackson with his knees, he was actually smiling in his face...

"Any raise?............ HELLO?"
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 11:03:24 PM »

Some more cage fighting coming up.

Monday 9th on Bravo there's programme on Mike Bisping at 9 followed by UFC 69

George St-Pierre Vs Matt Serra 
GSP should be too much for Serra who's more comfortable fighting at 155lb than 170lb

Diego Sanchez Vs Josh Koscheck
Sanchez will submit him early I think

Yushin Okami Vs Mike Swick
Swick KO late

Alan Belcher Vs Kendall Grove
Kendall Grove suprised me in the final of UF3. Expect him to get a KO

Thales Leites Vs Pete 'Drago' Sell
Drago by KO early.

Marcus Davis Vs Pete Spratt
Pete Spratt, another quick KO

Josh Haynes Vs Luke Cummo
Cummo easily

made the predictions as I went but looking at how many KOs I picked, hopefuly it'll be a great show.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:05:56 PM by AdamM » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

Also, Incidentally, UFC have bought Pride so there could be some big unification fights in the future.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 11:06:52 PM »

Also, Incidentally, UFC have bought Pride so there could be some big unification fights in the future.

Gay fights ?         

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 11:09:26 PM »

they do get VERY close come to think of it
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 08:25:23 AM »

Some more cage fighting coming up.

Monday 9th on Bravo there's programme on Mike Bisping at 9 followed by UFC 69

George St-Pierre Vs Matt Serra 
GSP should be too much for Serra who's more comfortable fighting at 155lb than 170lb

Diego Sanchez Vs Josh Koscheck
Sanchez will submit him early I think

Yushin Okami Vs Mike Swick
Swick KO late

Alan Belcher Vs Kendall Grove
Kendall Grove suprised me in the final of UF3. Expect him to get a KO

Thales Leites Vs Pete 'Drago' Sell
Drago by KO early.

Marcus Davis Vs Pete Spratt
Pete Spratt, another quick KO

Josh Haynes Vs Luke Cummo
Cummo easily

made the predictions as I went but looking at how many KOs I picked, hopefuly it'll be a great show.

2 out of 7. shows what I know

some great fights though
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: