blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272885 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 163552 times)
masterjackblack

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2007, 12:36:32 PM »

Calzaghe v Kessler, should be a good match up Calzaghe at 1.77 Kessler at 2.5 at the min. I'm backing Joe by decision at 2.52
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »

I just wish they could persuade a big boxing name to give it a go. I'd love to see a boxer get pwned in the octagon.

No boxer in their right mind would give it a go as they would lose.  Similarly any top boxer would beat any mma fighter under the marquess of queensbury rules.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »

Calzaghe v Kessler, should be a good match up Calzaghe at 1.77 Kessler at 2.5 at the min. I'm backing Joe by decision at 2.52

Max bet for me on Britains best boxer.  I expectd him to be a lot shorter.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »

Britains best boxer isnt fighting until 8th December.

Britains second best boxer should win inside the distance Saturday.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2007, 02:59:19 PM »

I just wish they could persuade a big boxing name to give it a go. I'd love to see a boxer get pwned in the octagon.

No boxer in their right mind would give it a go as they would lose.  Similarly any top boxer would beat any mma fighter under the marquess of queensbury rules.

not necessarily. Many MMA fighters can Box to a very high standard.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2007, 03:18:42 PM »

not necessarily. Many MMA fighters can Box to a very high standard.

I would lay any MMA fighter against a top boxer until the cows come home if it ever happened (not that it ever will).
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »

and given the right MMA fighter, I may well take it.

Big name boxers like Oscar De La Hoya and Shane Mosely have already started training with / coaching UFC fighters and increasingly, the best strikers in the UFC can throw hands as well as most boxers.

I'd still rather see the fight take place in the cage because I prefer the test of all round fighting skills, rather than one aspect only.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2007, 02:20:01 PM »

I've got another tip

UFC 80 top of the bill is Matt Serra v Matt Hughes.
Matt Serra to win.

Hughes was a dominant champion in the welterweight division 2001 - 2006, with only one loss to BJ Penn in that time, which he later avenged.
Then in 2006 George St Pierre destroyed him. I mean it wasn't even close, he just hammered him. He's had only one fight since. A three round war against Chris Lytle who, although a great fighter to watch, is no more than a UFC Journeyman. Talking to his team on the current TUF season he admitted to them he was nearly done in the UFC and had maybe one or two fights left in him.

Serra WAS a UFC journeyman with losses to BJ Penn, Karo Parision and Din Thomas (all of which were questionable decisions in my opinion). He reinvented himself in the last TUF season and and showed himself to be head and shoulders above the other contenders (figuratively speaking, he's a short arse). He also won a 3 round war with Chris Lytle in the finale. He then went on to Knock George St Pierre out in the Welterweight title fight.

There are a few reasons I'm backing Serra. Hughes' Wrestling is top draw but recently he's been trying to man it out by standing and striking with his opponents. Lytle gave him a hard time and GSP battered him standing.
Serra beat Lytle and GSP standing and I think has a decent edge if it stays upright.
On The ground, Hughes of old would of had a significant advantage. today I think it's a lot closer.

The main reason I think Serra will win though is that his team in TUF is destroying Hughes' team. The title will likely be won by a team Serra fighter and Hughes is REALLY pissed about it all. Serra is confident and Hughes is effectively ON TILT. you know what that does to your poker game. Imagine the results in a cage.

SERRA IS TRADING AT 3.55. That's crazy value for me and it might even go higher.

Also, If you're not already on Bisping to beat Evans in UFC 79, watch the price. He's at 2.84 at the minute but you can get over 3 if you ask for it. I've some on spread between 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 02:23:37 PM by AdamM » Logged
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2007, 05:11:29 PM »

Carl Froch said in an interview with the BBC the other day that people would prefer a British showdown with him and Joe Calzaghe.  In what World would anyone ever want this more than Calzaghe against Bernard Hopkins ?

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2007, 08:43:15 PM »

Carl Froch said in an interview with the BBC the other day that people would prefer a British showdown with him and Joe Calzaghe.  In what World would anyone ever want this more than Calzaghe against Bernard Hopkins ?

Carl Froch is using Calzaghes name to build a higher profile for himself.  Its easy to call a man out when you know there is not a hope in hell of the fight actually happening.  I actually think Froch is a very classy fighter but is doing himslef no favours by calling out Calzaghe every time he opens his mouth.  If he is serious about making his way to the top of the division he should be looking to fights omeone like Lacy, Bute or Kessler. 
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2007, 07:15:56 PM »

Former streetfighter Kimbo Slice had his 2nd MMA fight this past weekend.  Seemed to be a pathetic opponent, over in 19 seconds and I couldn't see a true hit.

Found the video: http://www.ufc-forums.com/showthread.php?t=261

Really looking forward to the Hatton fight now!!!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »

thanks for that scott.

fight was supposed to be Tank Abbott. Don't think Tank would have backed off and gone down to one elbow.

I think MMA Kimbo would easily beat Tank.
Street fight Kimbo of two years ago would have lost to tank, but he's starting to look like a reasonable MMA fighter.
I hope someone gives him a shot at a name fighter soon.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2007, 08:14:48 PM »

This fight was actually meant to be against Mike Bourke, but pulled out with an injury.  Cantrell replaced Bourke at quite short notice I bleieve.

The Tank Abbot fight was scheduled for October 12th-ish but was cancelled when the company had promotion problems.  The Cantrell fight was with EliteXC.

Really looking forward to Slice fighting someone decent.
Benny Brox

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »

Former streetfighter Kimbo Slice had his 2nd MMA fight this past weekend.  Seemed to be a pathetic opponent, over in 19 seconds and I couldn't see a true hit.

Found the video: http://www.ufc-forums.com/showthread.php?t=261

Really looking forward to the Hatton fight now!!!

I hate to see that in a fight, he browned his shorts before the fight even began and then tapped out before he needed to!

I've noticed as well, especially in Ultimate Fighter 6, that there's more to being a fighter than just being an athlete and in good shape, which I think these guys are learning on the show - the number of them shitting themselves and pussying out is quite shocking. MMA is definitely 25% physical 25% skill and 50% mental.

A few good fights/events coming up - Bisping/Evans, Liddell/Silva, Serra/Hughes but the fight that's got the potential to be great is Guida Vs Huerta. Huerta's on a role at the minute, destroying everyone but I don't see him doing this to Guida - very accomplished and comfortable in the cage. Can't remember who he got beat off at one of the UFC events in the UK, maybe Tyson Griffin but it was a shocking decision but great fight.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2007, 08:38:49 AM »

Huerta's very entertaining.

nice to see him getting top billing for the first time.

Title shot as soon as the 155 division mess is sorted out
(Sherks positive steroid test & Penn v Stevenson interim title)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: