blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:05:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 163646 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »

best pound for pound fighter in the world.

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2007, 12:58:07 AM »

Yes you're right, repeatedly elbowing a downed opponent is pretty dangerous, which is why it's no longer allowed

All through TUF 6 you could hear the coaches shouting "elbow" when they went to ground.

Tons of elbows on the ground in this fight. The commentator actually says "he's doing a good job of landing those elbows."

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23637112
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2007, 08:29:39 AM »

sorry, it's elbowing the fighter on his back thats against the rules. there was some very early fights in the sport where the guy on top would be dropping elbows on the guy on his back and doing pretty heavy damage.

From the top fighters may not use the point on their elbows. forearms are fine.

J-Rocks elbows from the bottom were fantastic in this fight and would have really hurt War Machine but other than splitting the skin, no serious damage would have been done.

Fighting shouldn't be a 'sweet science.' It's brutal and ugly. UFC is safe in respect of serious injury but it's a real fight and some blood and bruising is to be expected.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »

ah, I see now thanks. there seems to be a pretty fine line between a forearm and an elbow tho Smiley

someone said Couture will fight Fedor as soon as he is out of his UFC contract. Fedor has never been beaten I think? Couture seems quite a boring although obv very effective fighter to me. Watched a few clips of Fedor on youtube and he looks pretty good for a fat guy!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »

I agree the forearm / elbow thing is a bit of a grey area.

Couture v Fedor. I'd have loved to have seen that in the UFC cage.
There's this odd thing where some people want to be seen as truer MMA fans by hating UFC and it's fighters and instead hero worshipping fighters from other association, especially Pride. These people have had mixed success with their non UFC fighters when they've stepped into the Octagon, since UFC bought Pride.
Rampage has yet to lose and is reigning Light heavyweight champ and set to be a TUF7 coach.
Anderson Silva is probably the best P4P fighter in the world and will have the Middleweight belt as long as he wants it.
Mauricio Rua was supposed to be the best Light Heavyweight in the world but Forrest Griffin beat him up in the cage.
Cro Cop has been very disappointing.
Henderson will have to move to Middleweight to have an impact.

Fedor v Couture would have been another of these UFC v the world fights. Fedor has certainl;y beat the best Pride had to offer, like Herring, Noguera, and Cro cop which means the Pride hero worshippers have a LOT invested in the guy. He's beat all their hero's and they hate UFC so Fedor MUST walk through Couture. In the UFC cage, no one walks through Randy Couture and I'd have been backing him to cause an upset. In a ring, or in another association, who knows. Shame UFC couldn't make it happen.

Dana White has previously said "You don't resign from a contract. You retire." He insists that Randy is under contract to UFC and that if he fights again, it'll be in the UFC. That looks unlikely now but if Couture fights elsewhere, I expect UFC to sue. I've been a big fan of Randy Couture martial artist in repsect of his technique AND his character, but I have to say, IMO he's not behaved well through this whole thing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:32:30 PM by AdamM » Logged
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2007, 12:47:21 AM »

they showed this clip from UFC 8 on TV tonight, totally brutal, the first blow seems to knock him out, but that's only the first of 8 elbows to the head. The fighters are obv a lot better and the rules have been tightened up a lot but wasn't this type of stuff better for the purists? It used to be people from different martial arts coming together to see who was the best right? Like the film Bloodsport. Now everybody does the same stuff, Muay, BJJ and wrestling. It would be great if some 80 year old monk came down from a mountain and pwned everyone in UFC.

http://myvideofight.com/video/ufc/ufc-8-gary-goodridge-vs-paul-herrera/index.html
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2007, 01:30:50 AM »

lol they've got UFC 1 on that site, those guys wouldn't last a minute these days.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2007, 01:33:06 AM »

they showed this clip from UFC 8 on TV tonight, totally brutal, the first blow seems to knock him out, but that's only the first of 8 elbows to the head. The fighters are obv a lot better and the rules have been tightened up a lot but wasn't this type of stuff better for the purists? It used to be people from different martial arts coming together to see who was the best right? Like the film Bloodsport. Now everybody does the same stuff, Muay, BJJ and wrestling. It would be great if some 80 year old monk came down from a mountain and pwned everyone in UFC.

http://myvideofight.com/video/ufc/ufc-8-gary-goodridge-vs-paul-herrera/index.html

Jesus, Big John could have been in a bit quicker there!!!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »

The early UFC taught us what we needed to know. Pure traditional matrial arts systems and pure boxing DON'T work in a real fight. Brazilian Ju-Jitsu dominated, but as strikers began working on their grappling the BJJ guys started getting a pounding too.

Bruce Lee was trying to get people to embrase cross training in the late 60's / early 70's but it took UFC to give people the kick up the arse they needed. Anyone training in traditional arts, thinking they are preparing themselves for real fighting were, and still are deluding themselves.

The Goodridge fight was the one I was thinking of with the repeat elbows to the downed opponent. That would have killed someone eventually, which is why it needed changing.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:36 PM »

Probably the new best pound for pound fighter in the world (watch out AdamM):

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:43:25 PM by Horneris » Logged

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2007, 11:31:28 PM »

Also, in the build up to the big fight..........

(the credit has to go to ChipRich here im afraid)

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/index.php?module=see&lang=uk&code=98f121d1975c5cd4c3aa3c98a15aee50

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »

what big fight is that?
ChipRich

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2007, 01:46:17 AM »

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »

Didn't think so.

Any hoo

UFC 79
Chuck Liddell is even money on betfair against Wanderlai Silva at the minute.
My head says Silva will win but my heart is pulling for Chuck so a little flutter is in order.
I'd back GSP to beat Hughes too, but he's odds-on and I'm reludtant to back odds- on favourites in a two horse race.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »

Another bet that might be worth tracking on betfair is Frank Mir v Brock Lesnar UFC 81.

I've watched some of Lesnars college wrestling 'highlights' and as much of the WWE ballet as I could stand, as well as his first MMA fight (which was ok). Over all, not particularly impressed. Frank Mir has never been a favourite fighter of mine, but in his prime, he was pretty useful. His submissions are world class. After his motorbike crash a few years ago he's struggled to break back into the big time, but in his last undercard fight at UFC 74 he looked very slick.

As he's not up against a skilled striker in Lesnar, I think an early submission is quite likely and if the hype machine kicks in, I think Lesnar might go favourite on the book. I've laid Lesnar at 1.6 to see if I can get the ball rolling but I'll be tracking it between now and fight time February 2nd.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: