blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 11:17:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 163596 times)
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 01, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »

thanks bolt, found it elsewhere - didn't even think to check youtube!!!

lol at the early stoppage, ref couldn't wait to jump in.  i think kimbo was away to finish him though, one more punch would have done.

did u score both the first and second for Thompson? I think I did so Kimbo needed the KO.

poor performance against an opponent he should have blown out looking at his recent record.

I'm undecided about the first one, 50/50 really, if pushed i'd say kimbo, but he def lost the second one and i think he's flurry in the first 30 secs of the last round was sort of a last stand, i think he's conditioning let him down again, i just cannot see that he would've lasted another 4+ mins, especially after expending whatever little energy he had left on a last attack.

lol at the commentator in the second saying: "he's best chance is to pop he's cauliflower ear open" and he comes out the next round and does it.

he looked exactly the same at the end of the second round as he did in the gannon fight which would suggest his conditioning hasn't really improved at all, he couldn't defend himself and i think if he got taken down in the third it would've been all over.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 01, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »

Not so sure I agree that his conditioning hasn't improved, I think it has, just that he exerted a hell of a lot in the opening two rounds.  It sure has to improve, along with most aspects of his fighting.  He'd struggle against anyone half decent on that showing.

Brett Rogers called him out at the press conference and made reference to the supposed tapout in 2nd round.  Rogers KO'd Thompson in the 1st round earlier this year.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 01, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »

great first round for thompson. shame he couldn't cinch that key lock in the last minute. Thompson clear round winner

clumsy looking takedown attempts by thompson round 2. Only Kimbo's inexperience gave thompson top position. both gased 2 mins into round 2, which is pretty poor. if Steve Mazagatti was ref it'd have been stopped when the repeated unsanswered elbows were being dropped by thompson. If he was in better condition he could of droped them so much heavier and got the stoppage. Thompson nicjked it at the end.

urgh. never seen a cauliflower ear go before. got to stop it. shame because thompson was winning, but over the next 5 mins it could of come right off.

WOODSEY, haven't got time now, but leave it with me. I've just watched UFC 1 - 19 back to back. I'll let you know the best ones when I get chance, probably tomorrow lunch time.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »

Not so sure I agree that his conditioning hasn't improved, I think it has, just that he exerted a hell of a lot in the opening two rounds.  It sure has to improve, along with most aspects of his fighting.  He'd struggle against anyone half decent on that showing.

Brett Rogers called him out at the press conference and made reference to the supposed tapout in 2nd round.  Rogers KO'd Thompson in the 1st round earlier this year.

did he def tap out in the second, i didnt see it, was it during the ground and pound?

I think kimbos getting a bit carried away with trying to prove to everyone that he's a complete MMA competitor and that he has a strong ground game, he should really be looking to stand up as much as possible but he seems all too happy to go to the ground which makes me think he's trying to prove something to people, probably cost him eventually.

He should be looking to knock he's opponents out and get the job done as quickly as possible and if it goes to the ground then it's good to have as a back up but i think that because a lot of people are doubting him as a pure MMA fighter he's getting sidetracked with the technical side of it, really if you can punch like kimbo why would you give a shit what anyone said if you had 10 first round knockouts? he says he just fights for the money but i think he's got a bit of a chip on he's shoulder and he's probably not as good a complete fighter as he thinks he is.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 01, 2008, 02:06:01 PM »

did he def tap out in the second, i didnt see it, was it during the ground and pound?

no, I certainly didn't see it but it was allegedly during the g+p.

he was taken down far too easily imo, and as you said he seemed too willing to go to ground.

brawl FTW
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »

James Thompson is as good a fighter as Kimbo will ever beat. I think he's working very hard at being a true MMA fighter, but can you imagine him against any of the top names in the sport?

The hype will be good for a few reasonable paydays, and good luck to him, but he'll never break into the top 10 heavyweights in MMA.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »

or even top 25
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 01, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »

or even top 25

Yeah, I think he'd struggle against any heavyweight in the top 25 in the world
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

great first round for thompson. shame he couldn't cinch that key lock in the last minute. Thompson clear round winner

clumsy looking takedown attempts by thompson round 2. Only Kimbo's inexperience gave thompson top position. both gased 2 mins into round 2, which is pretty poor. if Steve Mazagatti was ref it'd have been stopped when the repeated unsanswered elbows were being dropped by thompson. If he was in better condition he could of droped them so much heavier and got the stoppage. Thompson nicjked it at the end.

urgh. never seen a cauliflower ear go before. got to stop it. shame because thompson was winning, but over the next 5 mins it could of come right off.

WOODSEY, haven't got time now, but leave it with me. I've just watched UFC 1 - 19 back to back. I'll let you know the best ones when I get chance, probably tomorrow lunch time.

Cheers mate been watching plenty of random ones, but there are plenty of lessr known names I probably won't download unless I'm told otherwise.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 01, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »

Woodsey, fights worth watching from the early UFC

Anything with Royce gracie UFC 1,2 & 4 dont watch the super fight with ken shamrock
UFC 3 Kieth Hackney v Emmanuel Yarborough (400 lb weight difference)
UFC 4 Keith Hackney v Joe Son (will make your eyes water)
any Dan Severn except against Taktarov and Shamrock
any Tank Abbott except Severn and Taktarov
UFC 7 Paul Varlans v Marco Ruas. slow in the middle of the fight but a great end.
UFC 8 Paul Herrara v Gary Goodridge
Any Don Frye except v Coleman and
UFC 9 Mark Hall (189 lb) v Koji Kitau (390 lb)
ALL Vitor Belfort starting with
UFC 12 Vitor Belfort v Tre Telligman
UFC 12 Vitor Belfot v Scott Ferrozzo
UFC 13 Vitor Belfot v Tank Abbott
UFC 13 Tito Ortiz v Guy Mezger
UFC 19 Tito Ottiz v Guy Mezger rematch
UFC 13 Randy Couture v Tony Halme
UFC 13 Randy Couture v Steve Graham
In fact, watch all Randy's fights
UFC 17 Carlos Newton v Dan Henderson (tell me what you think of the decision)
Any other Carlos Newton
UFC 18 Evan Tanner v Darrell Gholar (Evan Tanner fights are usually worth watching)
Any Bas Rutten
Any Chuck Liddell

that should get you started

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 04, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »

UFC 85 picks
Alves to beat Hughes TKO round 2
Bisping to beat Day TKO round 2
Davies to beat Swick Late TKO or decision, but I expect a war
Marquart to beat Leites decision
Werdum to beat Vera TKO round 3
Rivera to beat Kampmann by decision
Tavares to beat Wiman by decision or late submission
Lambert to beat Cane TKO round 3
Liaudin to beat Taylor submission round 3 after a stand up war.
Sanchez to beat Hordonk by decision
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:05:12 PM by AdamM » Logged
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »

I fancied Vera there - early stoppage imo.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 07, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »

all ufc's on setanta from now on?
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »

all ufc's on setanta from now on?

I think so - which is sweet for me.  Also means we get them live.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2008, 09:38:27 PM »

Nasty hole in Davis' face. Pretty good fight - deserved win for Swick.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: