blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:43:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Monster draw in a multiway pot.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monster draw in a multiway pot.  (Read 2944 times)
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2007, 11:26:30 PM »

$200k on UB, 1 hour in. Quality of the table is pretty good.

BudmansCom is at seat 0 with 2265.
     JohnnyBax is at seat 1 with 2855.
     BossMenlo is at seat 2 with 2760.
     jjjucifer is at seat 3 with 4900.
     JonnyG426 is at seat 4 with 3420.
     Foaming_Homer is at seat 5 with 3730.
     cybo is at seat 6 with 2435.
     smokeyal is at seat 7 with 5715.
     need2speed02 is at seat 8 with 2800.
     SirSTEAMSaloT is at seat 9 with 2800.
     The button is at seat 3.

JonnyG426 posts the small blind of 20.
     Foaming_Homer posts the big blind of 40.

BudmansCom:  -- --
     JohnnyBax:  -- --
     BossMenlo:  -- --
     jjjucifer:  -- --
     JonnyG426:  -- --
     Foaming_Homer: 
     cybo:  -- --
     smokeyal:  -- --
     need2speed02:  -- --
     SirSTEAMSaloT:  -- --

Pre-flop:

cybo raises to 140.   smokeyal folds.   need2speed02
          calls.   SirSTEAMSaloT calls.   BudmansCom folds. 
          JohnnyBax calls.   BossMenlo calls.   jjjucifer folds.
           JonnyG426 folds.   Foaming_Homer calls.   

Flop (board: ):

I call because I'm fairly comfortable with chips and the 7.6-1 odds I'm getting to call. I've hit the flop pretty hard, but someone could have hit a bigger flush draw here, or there could be a made straight or trips too. Plus UTG is unlikely to go away from the pot if he has an overpair to the board. What do people think the optimum play is here? Is it too lead out and be prepared to go all the way? Or see how the action develops in front of you bearing in mind there are 6 people in the pot?

temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:37:07 PM »

if you call with that. you gotta lead with it. a check-raise would look too much like a draw on that board i think.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »

First..I don't like the call pre-flop even on pot odds but some would argue that it's fair enough I guess, however it seems that you didn't think ahead as to what you wanted to hit. You have a straight draw which is a split to anyone with an 8 and a flush draw which is nowhere near the nuts.

You've essentially hit the flop well enough. I would consider check raising but curse myself for playing with shyte in the first place and definetly would consider a fold.

I would MUCH rather hit 2 pair on a rainbow flop than anything this bad and that is what I would be looking for pre-flop when I tell myself that on pot odds I have to call. I don't want a shitty straight draw and a poor flush draw I want to hit in such a way that I am almost certainly ahead. That's why I fold this rubbish pre-flop.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »

you called with 8h4h to hit that flop, when u hit it u carnt pass it or dont play it,  imo pre-flop u are calling to try hit a lucky 2 pair a flush or a strait draw,   when u hit a flush and a strait draw u carnt pass, i refer to my previous point, if ur going to call with it u got to play it when u hit it or dont call in the 1st place

bluesq : archclub vc : ericuk DTD : pokerstu pokerstars : pokerstu1
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:07:23 AM »

if you call with that. you gotta lead with it. a check-raise would look too much like a draw on that board i think.

I lead with it too, but...................
I dont mind it looking like a draw. Im all-in here if the action gets heavy. Bear in mind the number of players you have to beat, that means getting a lot of chips off strong players. Gamboooooooooooooool
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:33:43 AM »

First, I would not call your draw monster with 5 other players in the pot.  Wink

Bet to decrease number of the opponents and see where you are.  I am not so sure that going all the way on this kind of draw against so many opponents is a good idea. But I have not been playing for a while so what do I know.

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »

see where you are.

You have 8 high, you are behind......not much 'defining' needed here.

I am going for the check raise here myself, it looks a lot stronger (setesque) and you win a bigger pot, you also don't have to worry about the common situation of UTG giving up with his AK and everyone checking behind as we get our free shot at this hand.

Check and hope its checked around, if its not tank the lot in.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »

see where you are.

I am going for the check raise here myself, it looks a lot stronger (setesque) and you win a bigger pot, you also don't have to worry about the common situation of UTG giving up with his AK and everyone checking behind as we get our free shot at this hand.

Yep that is by far the strongest play. Betting out with 5 other players in the piot is suicide.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:08:02 PM »

UTG raise then 4 callers - i pass 8 high preflop.

You've hit a double belly buster and flush draw but even if you hit any of your draws you are not sitting on the nuts, as their is a possible straight already on board as someone could easily be playing 89 suited then your low end of the double belly buster may already be a dead draw. If you hit your flush there is every possibility that one of the other 5 players has a higher flush.

You have over 90 big blinds, there is no need to get involved with hands like this at this stage of the tourney.

sponsored by Fyffes
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »

You've hit a double belly buster and flush draw but even if you hit any of your draws you are not sitting on the nuts, as their is a possible straight already on board as someone could easily be playing 89 suited then your low end of the double belly buster may already be a dead draw. If you hit your flush there is every possibility that one of the other 5 players has a higher flush.

You have over 90 big blinds, there is no need to get involved with hands like this at this stage of the tourney.

This is the UB200, a notoriously difficult tournament to win. Situations and flops like this dont come up all that oten imho. Make the most of it. I like flushies check raising shit.
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:01:34 PM »

see where you are.

Yep

HI HELEN!
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »

oy!, shouldnt you be in a strip club getting lagered up?
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »

This is the UB200, a notoriously difficult tournament to win. Situations and flops like this dont come up all that oten imho. Make the most of it. I like flushies check raising shit.

Situations and flops like what? You've hit nothing but a draw which could potentially be a dead draw as you are up against 5 opponents. With over 90 big blinds at this early stage why put yourself in a position where you have no idea where you stand?

Suited connectors or 1-gap connectors i think are playable in this spot because you can make nut hands from them - in the case of 3-gap connectors any flush or straight draw you hit will never be the nuts (unless in this case the flop comes 5,6,7 all hearts).

There will be better opportunity to be calling out of position than with a hand that will only win less than 10% of the time in a 6-way pot, this is why i much prefer a pre-flop pass.

sponsored by Fyffes
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »

oy!, shouldnt you be in a strip club getting lagered up?

Lol, why's that?

HI HELEN!
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 03:39:02 PM »

Foaming_Homer checks.   cybo bets 860.   need2speed02
          folds.   SirSTEAMSaloT folds.   JohnnyBax folds. 
          BossMenlo folds.   Foaming_Homer raises to 3440.   cybo
          goes all-in for 2295.   Foaming_Homer is returned 1145
          (uncalled).   

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

Foaming_Homer shows .
               cybo shows .

Turn (board: ):

(no action in this round)

River (board: ):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

Foaming_Homer has : flush, ten high.