blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  AA cash hand - i'm a tournament player - did i f*** up?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AA cash hand - i'm a tournament player - did i f*** up?  (Read 2156 times)
temp0r

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2007, 04:26:15 AM »

$100 NL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, February 27, 23:11:15 ET 2007
Table Table  127118 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: soepi ( $115.09 )
Seat 2: bebia ( $34.25 )
Seat 4: KiwiFreedom ( $111.10 )
Seat 5: pN671 ( $98.50 )
Seat 3: temp0r2k ( $96.25 )
Seat 6: lubbelito1 ( $90.86 )
soepi posts small blind [$0.50].
bebia posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to temp0r2k [  As ]
temp0r2k raises [$4]
KiwiFreedom did not respond in time
KiwiFreedom folds
pN671 calls [$4]
lubbelito1 calls [$4]
soepi folds
bebia calls [$3]
** Dealing Flop ** [ , , two hearts ]

bebia checks
temp0r2k bets [$11]
pN671 folds
lubbelito1 calls [$11]
bebia is all-In  [$30.25]

whats your move?
do you want to keep lubbelito1 involved or is this always an all-in?

READS
lubbelito is weak-passive. babia is aggressove post-flop but hasn't pushed like this for a while.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:40:53 AM by thetank » Logged
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:55:02 AM »

The first step to becoming a successful cash player is learning how to playing AA/KK.

Generally you should play fairly passively with AA post-flop with three or more callers. Sometimes you have to risk giving good drawing odds to players because the alternative is the far worse sin of giving great implied odds pre-flop to players with PPs.

A possible scenario here is that one is drawing and one has a set. An all-in would most likely prove very costly if it's lubbelito with the set.

I would probably just call and see what lubbelito's move is. If he moves all-in then that almost certainly means he has a set, and I'd fold despite what I already have invested in the pot.

----

I will always bet the flop with AA, but will often check the turn, and bet out again on the river. Generally this avoids paying the correct implied odds a PP needs to call your pre-flop raise, and also pays you more from someone with a PP (who hasn't hit) because they often see the river bet as a bluff with a missed AK.

Never be disappointed if you only pick up the blinds with AA, or if you take the pot down on the flop. The main reason cash tables can prove so profitable is because so many players are unable to laydown down their AA/KK hands post-flop.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:31:25 AM »

The first step to becoming a successful cash player is learning how to playing AA/KK.

Generally you should play fairly passively with AA post-flop with three or more callers. Sometimes you have to risk giving good drawing odds to players because the alternative is the far worse sin of giving great implied odds pre-flop to players with PPs.

A possible scenario here is that one is drawing and one has a set. An all-in would most likely prove very costly if it's lubbelito with the set.

I would probably just call and see what lubbelito's move is. If he moves all-in then that almost certainly means he has a set, and I'd fold despite what I already have invested in the pot.

----

I will always bet the flop with AA, but will often check the turn, and bet out again on the river. Generally this avoids paying the correct implied odds a PP needs to call your pre-flop raise, and also pays you more from someone with a PP (who hasn't hit) because they often see the river bet as a bluff with a missed AK.

Never be disappointed if you only pick up the blinds with AA, or if you take the pot down on the flop. The main reason cash tables can prove so profitable is because so many players are unable to laydown down their AA/KK hands post-flop.

On the money with this post m8.

Bold 1.
Also, depending on the strength of your opponents, try denying correct implied odds preflop. For example. If you and opponent are both playing $100 and he raises to $4 preflop, making it $15 to play means he isnt getting the correct implied odds with a smaller pocket pair.

7.5*$15 = 112.5
$100/7.5 = $13.3

This can be uselful when heavy multitabling when you dont have the time to make decisions.

Bold 2

Couldnt agree more. Overpairs post-flop in Deepstack NL holdem should always be played very slowly unless opponent is a known mug. Never worry about folding AA/KK postflop, marrying these hands can cost you a fortune.
Controlling the pot size is the key with marginal hands like these, keep them small and dont pay off big bets.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:16:47 PM »

Bold 1.
Also, depending on the strength of your opponents, try denying correct implied odds preflop. For example. If you and opponent are both playing $100 and he raises to $4 preflop, making it $15 to play means he isnt getting the correct implied odds with a smaller pocket pair.

7.5*$15 = 112.5
$100/7.5 = $13.3

This can be uselful when heavy multitabling when you dont have the time to make decisions.

Absolutely Alex. Just a small point, but I would recommend the implied odds required for playing a lower PP is closer to 10/1. It's 7.5/1 to flop a set, but that doesn't mean you've won the pot of course. It's around 10/1 to flop a set and for the AA/KK player to not hit a set at any stage of the hand.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »

Regarding the hand i with smart money here call the all in, its not a case of souly keeping the player in. It is a case of finding where we are with as little risk as possible. If you push all in, you only get called by a better hand most of the time.

As for the implied odds for a set i would recommend about double the chance of hitting about 15 to 1. This is due to the horrible set over set situations and the fact that your opponent will often miss and you won't get paid. Or he is good enough to get away from an overpair.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »

Regarding the hand i with smart money here call the all in, its not a case of souly keeping the player in. It is a case of finding where we are with as little risk as possible. If you push all in, you only get called by a better hand most of the time.

As for the implied odds for a set i would recommend about double the chance of hitting about 15 to 1. This is due to the horrible set over set situations and the fact that your opponent will often miss and you won't get paid. Or he is good enough to get away from an overpair.

Unless your opponent is Royal Flush - as he will call you in a heartbeat with an overpair!!
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »

[
Unless your opponent is Royal Flush - as he will call you in a heartbeat with  any pair!!

FYP

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »

Unless your opponent is Royal Flush - as he will call you in a heartbeat with  King high

FYP

FYP

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:26:44 PM »

Agree with most of the stuff written already about AA post flop.

What I would say is that in this position I would most likely look to limp reraise when im out of position with Aces.  It gives me a chance to define my hand and get a read on others.  More often than not this would take me to the flop with just one caller, at other times im taking down the pot preflop, which in fairness I do see as a good profitable move over the long run.  If someone calls with just top pr top kicker on the flop its difficult to get a read on what they have out of position, especially if they just call.  By rerasing preflop you are minimising the range of hands that can call and thus making your post flop decisions more informed.

King of the river check-raise
WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »

What I would say is that in this position I would most likely look to limp reraise when im out of position with Aces. It gives me a chance to define my hand to everyone else and get a read on others.  More often than not this would take me to the flop with just one caller, at other times im taking down the pot preflop, which in fairness I do see as a good profitable move over the long run.  If someone calls with just top pr top kicker on the flop its difficult to get a read on what they have out of position, especially if they just call.  By reraising preflop you are minimising the range of hands that can call and thus making your post flop decisions more informed, if you are shallow stacked then fair enough, but if you're deepstacked then you'll get called with a far wider range of hands looking to hit the flop hard and stack you as they believe you have AA.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »

Seriously, and this isnt a dig max. Why would you ever want to define your hand?

I thought poker was a game of misinformation.
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »

Seriously, and this isnt a dig max. Why would you ever want to define your hand?

I know what your saying and maybe i phrased it wrongly. My point about limp raising was that with say two callers and a raiser behind you have the opportunity to see how well they value their hands, then by limp raising from early you can reduce the filee to a number that plays well against aces i.e 1/2.  By raising early there is the chance that the player behind calls and so the remaining players have increasingly strong pot odds to call.  The suggestion of defining my hand was more a move to thin the field rather than actually disclsoe what you have, if that makes sense

King of the river check-raise
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »

You need to find out if you are ahead....

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 08:29:10 PM »

What I would say is that in this position I would most likely look to limp reraise when im out of position with Aces.  It gives me a chance to define my hand and get a read on others.  More often than not this would take me to the flop with just one caller, at other times im taking down the pot preflop, which in fairness I do see as a good profitable move over the long run.  If someone calls with just top pr top kicker on the flop its difficult to get a read on what they have out of position, especially if they just call.  By rerasing preflop you are minimising the range of hands that can call and thus making your post flop decisions more informed.

There's nothing wrong with mixing up your play and limping UTG with aces occasionally in cash, however generally you should be building a pot by raising an amount dependent on position and action beforehand that sees you going to a flop with one or two players max.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: