blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Mansion misery... A coinflip from the WSOP...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mansion misery... A coinflip from the WSOP...  (Read 1731 times)
Moskvich

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:35:49 AM »

Mainly just to get it off my chest...

Just went out tenth in Mansion's WSOP tournie (8 seats awarded). Feeling a leeeeetle gutted about it.

And also now wondering if I might have done the wrong thing (maybe this is more for PHA, dunno, not too bothered about such details at the moment!).

Blinds at 6000-12000, antes 400 on two tables of 5. I've got about 84k or something. One other on similar stack, one slightly lower, most others substantially more (average is 139k). And no-one in much trouble on the other table.

I get the (for me anyway) dreaded AJ in the cutoff and shove. Button (who's effectively out if he loses) calls with 88. My pleas to the poker gods of "Just this one time and I'll be good for ever" go unheeded and I miss.

In his position, don't think I'd be calling this with 88. But in a sat like this should I have passed? If I win then I'm at the final table and all but safe. If I pass and take the blinds I'm in danger of losing a lot of potential fold equity. Obviously now I wish I'd passed, and maybe I did have more time. I'm not really sure about any of it - except that I'm really pissed off lol.
Moorman1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:44:06 AM »

i shove aj there and fold 88 in the bb.... not sure about the maths of it but seems fine to me... vul mate

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:56:21 AM »

100% shove but not an easy pass with 88 TBH.

Unlucky bud.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:02:35 AM »

Thanks for the reassurance about the shove. Maybe now I can get some sleep (and dream of the WSOP 2008...)
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:43:43 AM »

So many times ive bubbled pushing with AJ AQ AK and they never bloody hit, everytime there is someone with a small pp
that holds

I just dont know anymore

I think if I were in your position I would not have got involved, AJ is a pretty hand but you had enough chips to pass with only 2 left, to make the cut it really wasnt a strong enough.

I am folding into the $$
maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 05:16:35 AM »

You did nowt wrong. You got your money in first and the 88 call is horrible (never call of in a sat!).

And i know how u feel, absolutely gut wrenchng so close yet so far.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 05:22:38 AM »

My mate came 9th in that very same sat, AA vs J5o! Pretty sick hand which if he wins locks him up for 12.5k

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:48 AM »

I'd have done exactly the same as you...for me a loose call with 88 in a sat, maybe not in a cash tourne - I passed QQ in a similar situation in a WSOP sat live at the Rio in 2005.

Unlucky mate
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 02:59:29 PM »

easy push marginal call

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
portfolio

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »

AUTOfold.

its a sat ,where 8th is the same holy grail as 1st !!!

u will only EVER get called in that situation by a better hand,which did call(badly too imo),

all you can do istore the experience for your next shot.

gl
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »

AUTOfold.

u will only EVER get called in that situation by a better hand,which did call(badly too imo),

gl

Im with Porty on this one
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »

AUTOfold.

gl

I don't agree...ussually I'm fine with sitting back and all that but you're one of the three shortstacks with 3 players left to go out. You only have 6 BB's 5 handed..you simply have to stay somewhat active or you're screwed in 3 rounds time. AJ is a hand you have to keep playing. With it still being 2 tables you lose 18k every 5 hands...if that happens for one more round you are likely to be the shortstack everyone will be gunning for at the final table. If you had an average stack you could fold this hand but not when you're shortie.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:26:33 PM »

Thanks for the discussion. Obviously I take your point Portfolio, and understood it at the time. But as Boldie says, am I not just in danger of getting eaten up here? It's actually 20k every 5 hands with the antes, so if noone else goes out I've got about 20 hands before I'm blinded out, and maybe no more than 10 or 12 hands before I'm in danger of getting called, and maybe ganged up on, by the big stacks if I push with say 40k. If one player goes out and I get to the final table then maybe I win more time, but that depends on where I get seated relative to the blinds. I realise I don't really want a call here with AJ, but if I pick up the blinds then I probably do win myself more time (especially if I then get to the final 9 where the blinds come round slower), and it also puts the pressure on someone else to make a move rather than just wait for me to get into trouble. Add to that the "what ifs" if I'd passed AJ here and then got blinded down and knocked out...

I've only very rarely played any sats like this and never come this close, so any more opinions much appreciated. Cheers.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:07:30 AM »

AUTOfold.

gl

I dont agree, looks like you still need blinds to eat imo and you only have a few hands to get through. Its a clear shove and a poor call. Infact, in a sat, that call is horrendous.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 02:21:13 AM »

Everyone seems to think the call is bad but why?
He knows you're short and are gonna do this with a very wide range especially as it's a sat and the bigger stacks are not gonna get involved without a hand.
Why wouldn't he think he is miles ahead??

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: