blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 04:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 687 688 [689] 690 691 692 693 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1298716 times)
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10320 on: September 20, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »

oioi, Desmond in the house.

Things are grim on the Liverpool front Mr K.  Very.  We go week to week awaiting the mythical 'click' (a sound not heard west of the peak district since Paul McCartney's ex had a run in with an Uber or some such).  

There's a bright side though...I'm sure there is.

DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10321 on: September 20, 2015, 07:43:49 PM »

I drove 24hrs round trip to watch my club vs Bordeaux on Thursday, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat - but after today, enough is enough.

Unless Rodgers goes, nothing will change. Not expecting Klopp anymore, but anything but this situ

Disagree Waz....ours is not to wonder, it is to support, and to be honest we get as much value from the pain as we used to get from 2nd and 3rd tier cup wins.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: September 20, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »

I drove 24hrs round trip to watch my club vs Bordeaux on Thursday, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat - but after today, enough is enough.

Unless Rodgers goes, nothing will change. Not expecting Klopp anymore, but anything but this situ

Disagree Waz....ours is not to wonder, it is to support, and to be honest we get as much value from the pain as we used to get from 2nd and 3rd tier cup wins.

Enough is enough for Rodgers I was meaning Des, not the club. Never the club.  That is why I put my Bordeuax comment to confirm my unwaivering support for the club. But Rodgers, enough is enough

Carpe Diem
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10323 on: September 20, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »

I remember as a kid, from the age of about ten, harassing my father to give me a lift to the other side of town every time a big Liverpool game was being played.  There were very few games on Irish TV back in those days - the FA Cup final may have been it.  

I vaguely knew a guy who lived in a tough-ish estate, who was a passionate Liverpool fan.  He was about ten to fifteen years older than me...so it's fair to say we didn't share the same circle.  

But if the Reds were playing, then he'd be guaranteed to be stood outside his house with an old AM radio, angled against a telegraph pole, surrounded by Reds supporters.  A signal just couldn't be found anywhere else.  And it didn't matter how old you were or what type of bike or car you arrived in, we were as one stood in the dark listening to the tinny commentary, often through bouts of static.  The credits music for European football can still make the hair on the back of my neck stand!

So I suppose I look at our management situation differently.  

I can link many of my 'remember where you were' days (good and bad) to Liverpool football club.  And every time we change a manager I feel I become a step further removed from those experiences.  I don't want a manager there who just wants a job.  I want somebody in there who understands what that club means to me, as I believe Rodgers does.

I completely accept that I'm in the minority on Rodgers atm, but I feel he's as qualified to break through as anyone else, so we should give him 100% support.  And remember, it's only a game of football, not life or death.  Wink
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: September 20, 2015, 08:30:02 PM »

your favourite all time liverpool xi please Des, that you have seen

so thats 1960-to date

thanks

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: September 20, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »

Rodgers was very very lucky on his cv to land such a good job

He has been even luckier to keep it so long and he would not be still there at most other clubs
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: September 20, 2015, 08:36:48 PM »

I remember as a kid, from the age of about ten, harassing my father to give me a lift to the other side of town every time a big Liverpool game was being played.  There were very few games on Irish TV back in those days - the FA Cup final may have been it.  

I vaguely knew a guy who lived in a tough-ish estate, who was a passionate Liverpool fan.  He was about ten to fifteen years older than me...so it's fair to say we didn't share the same circle.  

But if the Reds were playing, then he'd be guaranteed to be stood outside his house with an old AM radio, angled against a telegraph pole, surrounded by Reds supporters.  A signal just couldn't be found anywhere else.  And it didn't matter how old you were or what type of bike or car you arrived in, we were as one stood in the dark listening to the tinny commentary, often through bouts of static.  The credits music for European football can still make the hair on the back of my neck stand!

I can link many of my 'remember where you were' days (good and bad) to Liverpool football club.  And every time we change a manager I feel I become a step further removed from those experiences.  I don't want a manager there who just wants a job.  I want somebody in there who understands what that club means to me, as I believe Rodgers does.

I completely accept that I'm in the minority on Rodgers atm, but I feel he's as qualified to break through as anyone else, so we should give him 100% support.  And remember, it's only a game of football, not life or death.  Wink

All very true Sir, and I also believe he "gets" the club more than others have. That is what hurts the most, as he seems to have forgotten that.

It is the lack of passion, consistency, energy and fight. No direction, no purpose to our play. Where is the plan. Death by football. High intensity, pace, pressing game. All disappeared! Why? That was his 3 year plan. Why he got the job. His identity, that he is so proud of. Yet he seems to have forgotten about it and our history in playing that way.

Carpe Diem
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10327 on: September 20, 2015, 09:18:09 PM »

your favourite all time liverpool xi please Des, that you have seen

so thats 1960-to date

thanks

lol @ 1960s!  I vaguely remember '77 so I guess I was a glory years child, benefiting from the shiniest of silver spoons, football wise.

The team that I'd most identify as my favourite team would be:-

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal    Phil Thompson    Alan Hansen     Alan Kennedy

Jimmy Case    Graeme Souness    Terry McDermott    Ray Kennedy

Kenny Dalglish    Ian Rush

Dalglish was an absolute hero, as indeed Ian Rush was.  As I mentioned above, in my early years as a fan, a lot of my match experience came from rich BBC radio commentaries - that allowed you to picture players almost as giants.  You never 'saw' the misplaced layoff or failure to make a run, so these guys became almost gladiatorial in my mind.  

I had a soft spot for Phil Neal also, as I played right back in junior teams myself.  I met him at Sky once and found him to be a thoroughly nice chap. I often thought afterwards that I should have thanked him for all the great days he'd given me, but we just talked generally for ten or fifteen minutes.  That Graham Taylor documentary did Phil Neal no favours and I felt it flavoured my discussion with him at the time.  Shame.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:20:14 PM by DesD » Logged
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10328 on: September 20, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »

All very true Sir, and I also believe he "gets" the club more than others have. That is what hurts the most, as he seems to have forgotten that.

It is the lack of passion, consistency, energy and fight. No direction, no purpose to our play. Where is the plan. Death by football. High intensity, pace, pressing game. All disappeared! Why? That was his 3 year plan. Why he got the job. His identity, that he is so proud of. Yet he seems to have forgotten about it and our history in playing that way.

Yep, I understand all of this and that's why it's really difficult for me to explain my position.  It's an emotional response as opposed to an analytical one.  And believe me, I doubt anyone shouts at the TV as much as I do when a Liverpool game is on, and I fully understand the inconsistency in the team, the players, the formation, the approach, etc.  I get all of that, trust me I do.  That's why I'm generally happy to sit away from this discussion when I see it on FB, because I can't easily justify my position.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: September 20, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

Yep, I understand all of this and that's why it's really difficult for me to explain my position.  It's an emotional response as opposed to an analytical one.  And believe me, I doubt anyone shouts at the TV as much as I do when a Liverpool game is on, and I fully understand the inconsistency in the team, the players, the formation, the approach, etc.  I get all of that, trust me I do.  That's why I'm generally happy to sit away from this discussion when I see it on FB, because I can't easily justify my position.

All about opinions Des! Why we hate to love it and love to hate it sometimes

Carpe Diem
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: September 22, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »

Just wanted to say what a wonderful post that was Des, would grace any thread on any forum. You were in fine form on Sunday night.

Thank you.

As to Mr Rodgers, we armchair critics are way too quick to dismiss the ability of others these days I'm afraid.  

Rodgers has been called everything from a pig to a dog. That's so wrong, he is a good man, & a good Manager, for sure.

Whether he is good enough for Liverpool, of course, is another matter altogether.

I was reading today at the names listed to succeed SAF a few years back. Names on the list included Mourinho, Ancelotti & Klopp. That's the expectation Liverpool should have, & with due respect to Rodgers, his CV does not suggest he is anywhere near that class.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: September 22, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »

Just as long as it wasn't the PM who called him a pig..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: September 22, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »

Just as long as it wasn't the PM who called him a pig..

Poor David is getting a right battering, all thanks to that nasty Lord Ashcroft.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: September 23, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »

Liverpool have denied making an approach to Carlo Ancelotti.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: September 23, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »

Liverpool have denied making an approach to Carlo Ancelotti.

No surprise there. The article in the italian press says their Staff have got info of our approach to his people, so it isn't concrete really.  However can only expect rumours to be rife given current situ.

I would be amazed if we don't sound people out.

Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 687 688 [689] 690 691 692 693 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: