blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:48:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 720 721 [722] 723 724 725 726 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1281827 times)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #10815 on: August 16, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »

liverpool are in a state now.

a few years back they could get players into the club just because people wanted to play for liverpool - even being out of the champions league wasnt insurmountable tp bringing in talent.

now they are a cup side. and a selling club. not long now before you can say it is 30 years since a league title and 1 european cup victory in 35 years. to put that into context when liverpool last won the league you could have said it was 30 years since burnley had last won the league.

take coutinho, when he was twelve chelsea were just starting to dominate the premier league. liverpool havent won the league in his liifetime. soon there will be players playing whose parents wont be able to remember when liverpool last won the league. their best players over the last few years have been: mascherano, gerrard, alonso, torres, sturridge, sterling, suarez and coutinho. all except gerrard and sturridge left for bigger clubs. and even mr liverpoool steve gerrard was as close as it gets to leaving for chelsea.  if sturridge had been fully fit with 25+ goals a season he'd likely be elsewhere. now coutinho is going. there's not much a mid-tier cup fixated selling club can do to keep genuine talent. they are to man city, chelsea, barca etc what southampton are to liverpool.

its a new era for the young generations. liverpool arent seen as a domestic powerhouse, much less a big club internationally.

They've always got their istry to fall back on.

So much istry.

This jibe is just about acceptable from United and Arsenal fans towards Liverpool.

But for City and Chelsea fans to use it is completely LOL.

Both of these teams would be languishing in L1 if it wasn't for dodgy billionaires randomly choosing to pumps squillions into their clubs.

Pipe down and hope to God your respective owners aren't arrested and your teams aren't pushed into liquidation before you start jibing at a club far far bigger than yours will ever be.

Didn't know you were a closet dipper..... Wink

Just so you know, it's not the 80s anymore. Whilst Liverpool will always have a large, expansive fan base, the club aren't particularly relevant these days, certainly not as much as they used to be. There is a reason why all their best players have moved on in the last 10 years or so.

Seems even the fabled Liverpool istry wasn't enough to keep hold of Suarez, Torres, Sterling, Alonso, Mascherano etc and probably won't be enough to keep hold of Countinho either.

Best Bitter.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:08 PM »

Torres was absolutely dogsh!t for six months before Chelski bought him - one of the biggest ripoff sales in EPL history  Cheesy

The rest were clearly top drawer, but once Barca or Madrid come knocking, all the U.K. clubs are knackered.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: August 16, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »

We've seen a similar slide recently.

Everton were a  domestic force in the eighties and were threatening Europe. They attracked the world cup golden boot and englands best striker and could compete on any front. They had been in the top flight longer than any club bar arsenal i think.

At beginning of the 80s Everton had won the same number of league titles as Manchester  united. By the time Alex Ferguson took over Everton moved two titles ahead.

It would be hard to argue that Chelsea were a bigger club than Everton in the 80s. It's equally as hard to make the reverse argument now.

Things change
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: August 17, 2017, 12:54:39 AM »

liverpool are in a state now.

a few years back they could get players into the club just because people wanted to play for liverpool - even being out of the champions league wasnt insurmountable tp bringing in talent.

now they are a cup side. and a selling club. not long now before you can say it is 30 years since a league title and 1 european cup victory in 35 years. to put that into context when liverpool last won the league you could have said it was 30 years since burnley had last won the league.

take coutinho, when he was twelve chelsea were just starting to dominate the premier league. liverpool havent won the league in his liifetime. soon there will be players playing whose parents wont be able to remember when liverpool last won the league. their best players over the last few years have been: mascherano, gerrard, alonso, torres, sturridge, sterling, suarez and coutinho. all except gerrard and sturridge left for bigger clubs. and even mr liverpoool steve gerrard was as close as it gets to leaving for chelsea.  if sturridge had been fully fit with 25+ goals a season he'd likely be elsewhere. now coutinho is going. there's not much a mid-tier cup fixated selling club can do to keep genuine talent. they are to man city, chelsea, barca etc what southampton are to liverpool.

its a new era for the young generations. liverpool arent seen as a domestic powerhouse, much less a big club internationally.

They've always got their istry to fall back on.

So much istry.

Nice troll post, must of been following the Stoke thread recently  Wink

Only fans who you ever hear going on about history is fans of teams other than Liverpool

City have just bought a title, other than that only thing I ever remember of them is relegating United.
In terms of Europe, Manure, Chelsea and Arsenal have been fucking awful considering many times they been in Champions league.

As for players being sold Suarez and Coutinho wanted the moves, everyone knows South American players want to be at Barca/Real and nothing is stopping that.
Mascherano was nowhere near the best player, Torres was fucking awful by the time Liverpool sold him and got a ridic fee way above his value.
Sterling was over-rated and hasn't been missed at all.
Alonso was a massive fucking loss, but was caused by Benitez being a shit man manager
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: August 17, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »

as a much bigger club than city and chelsea why not try to poach aguero to replace coutinho, or kante to sure up the midfield? you know you arent big enough to make that happen. football hasnt changed, the flow of players still goes from smalller clubs to bigger clubs. its just the pecking order of domestic and international football has changed. you claim not to miss sterling yet the kop doesn't get bored of booing his every touch. i'd say its because his move was a concrete example of the times a changing, and they do not like it one bit; as you say, he hasnt been missed in footballing terms...

it doesnt matter that city have bought the title: football success has always been correlated to money spent. not being able to attract the best players is a big problem for liverpool, whose role in football now seems to be developing talent to sell on at an inflated fee to bigger clubs.

and thats the debate we are having. are liverpool a bigger club than chelsea or man city. well they cant compete with them in footballing terms. they cant compete finacially. they cant compete for the best players, indeed they lose their best players to those clubs.

so on what metric can liverpool compete? its not chelsea or city fans bringing up history or making cod-latin banners with five gold stars on them.

lievrpool are a biigger club only in the hearts of the fans who have grown up with them being a bigger club. i'm one of them. its hard for me to say chelsea are a bigger club, it goes against what i emotionally 'know' about football.

but, i keep going back the the point of how tomorrow's generation will view liverpool. the children of today's teenagers will only hear about liverpool being dominant off their grandparents. the only footage will be of players - a few pixels of grainy resolution each - playing on muddy pitches and liverpool playing with and against overweight journeymen. its much like us seeing pathe footage of teams like blackpool and preston trade cup wins on black and white footage taken at pitch level, commentated on in the pencil-moustached clipped tones of 1950s BBC english and featuring players jogging with an absurdly upright gait and booting a ball featuring fook off stitches on the side. its hardly resembles the same sport. and no matter how much by grandad used to talk about mathews being the best winger its not going to get past me seeing giggs waltz through arsenals Famous Back Four, or bale making italian defenders appear like they are running through swamp mud whilst he powers past them.

people arent going to remember liverpool being dominant. chelseas recent success and potentially man city's is going to leave liverpool behind in the hearts of tommorows players. its already happened to today's players, except older brothers and dad's might have passed on some idea of liverpool being a bigger club than those two. but who wants to like the same thing as their grandad?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:26:21 AM by teddybloat » Logged
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10820 on: August 17, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »

Why on Earth does it matter who the "biggest club" is?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »

Teddy put it better than I ever could.

Liverpool just aren't particularly relevant anymore, and haven't been for a long time. I know this might be hard for Liverpool fans to accept, given all they have won in the past, but in todays football climate this doesn't count for much. The pecking order has changed, the football landscape is very different now than what it was just 10 years ago. It will be different in another 10 years. This is the challenge that all the top clubs face in the ever evolving sport.

I'm sure Liverpool fans would turn their nose up at ''buying the league'', but that's the only way you'll ever win the title again. Oh, and obv not selling all your best players too helps.

Best Bitter.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: August 17, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »

Why on Earth does it matter who the "biggest club" is?

It matters when Liverpool in the recent past have been able to trade of status to make up for lack of wages, league winners medals and champions league football in competing and holding on to players. It harms their club to lose that cache.

Some Liverpool fans get incredibly twitchy when people say Chelsea are a bigger club, also.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »

Liverpool reject £114m Barcelona offer for Philippe Coutinho

this is getting a bit silly isn't it?

take the bid, reinvest.£114m!!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: August 19, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »

The £114 depends on him winning the ballon d'or - it's actually £80M+addons

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »

The £80M is over 5 years as well.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10826 on: August 20, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »

The £80M is over 5 years as well.

They force PSG to pay the Neymar fee in cash up front then demand to buy players in installments - lol

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: August 22, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »

stat alert

LFC average 2.17 points per game (82pts) in games started by Sadio Mane

Would average 2.45PPG (93pts) in those games at the point he was subbed

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: August 24, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

who do you want?

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: August 24, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »

Not really fussed tbh
Plenty of teams in pots 1 and 2 will not want to draw us.

Pot 2 much stronger than pot 1
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 720 721 [722] 723 724 725 726 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: