blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273519 Posts in 66761 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 840 841 [842] 843 844 845 846 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6418255 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12615 on: April 09, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »

Before we move on from Aviation (I suppose I must), an oddity from the weekend.

I drove across to Southend on Saturday, in readiness for filming there on Sunday, & installed myself in a "boutique" hotel, "Maison Renouf",  which was really rather nice, with all manner of quirks. Except the WiFi did not work.

No internet for 2 days - I was so put out, what to do?

So, early Sunday morning, I embarked on a long walk, & had a mooch round the back of Southend Airport, so see what was there.

Lo & behold, parked in a deserted corner of the airfield, adjacent the Rochford road, was a Vulcan Bomber.....!

What on earth was that doing there? Why?, what?, & when, I needed to know.

And google was FULL of stuff about it. It's the last remaining Vulcan, reg XL426, that has the ability to "fast-taxi" (it cannot fly), & there is a "Save the Vulcan" website & all sorts.

You do se the strangest things in the oddest places - a Vulcan Bomber at Southend Airport! I really am curious as to the tale behind it being there in the first place. Anyone know?

I took a 'photo, but this one, from google, is better.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: April 09, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »

while you're still on planes, my brother has just bought one of these to get himself around

can't wait to go over and have a go, great plane

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Dino

View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »

Not the last Vulcan,This one was flying till recently.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: April 09, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

Rushed research = bad research.

In fact, I now gather there are THREE Vulcan's remaining in seviceable, or semi-seviceable, conditiion. This I assume excludes the one at Duxford.

I really must sort out that outing to Duxford. I seem to recall that Red, Ralph, Tonji, & a few others were all up for it. I'll have a gander at my Diary, I really want to do it. In fact, dammit, I'm gonna go next week if I can round up a few who are interested.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: April 09, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

In fact, I now gather there are THREE Vulcan's remaining in seviceable, or semi-seviceable, conditiion. This I assume excludes the one at Duxford.

I really must sort out that outing to Duxford. I seem to recall that Red, Ralph, Tonji, & a few others were all up for it. I'll have a gander at my Diary, I really want to do it. In fact, dammit, I'm gonna go next week if I can round up a few who are interested.

go the week after next ... kids will still be on hols next week.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12620 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

It'll be quieter during the school holidays, won't it? If a kid going to go to RAF Duxford it'll be a school trip, surely?
Ginger
Queen of Purple

View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

It'll be quieter during the school holidays, won't it? If a kid going to go to RAF Duxford it'll be a school trip, surely?

If there are kids out there that have families like mine.. no. They'll be touring the country visiting all these sorts of places.

Got to admit, I used to love it.

“Half a truth is often a great lie.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: April 09, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

NEXT week - be there!

Thursday?

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: April 09, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »

The only flying Vulcan is based just down the road from me at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire. I watched it fly overhead last summer on its way to an airshow - awe inspiring sight and sound.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: April 09, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

NEXT week - be there!

Thursday?

LOL ok, you got me.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

NEXT week - be there!

Thursday?

LOL ok, you got me.

OK, let's see who else is availble from the original "interested" list.

Just grown-ups mind, no shreddies. Wink

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: April 09, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

NEXT week - be there!

Thursday?

LOL ok, you got me.

[ ] The shreddies would just love this

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

NEXT week - be there!

Thursday?

LOL ok, you got me.

[ ] The shreddies would just love this

They would, too.....

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: April 09, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »

You dont really appreciate the size of the vulcan until you are up close to it.I was amazed when i took Charlie to http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/index.cfm in hendon and they have 1 on display in the Bomber hall, it is just huuuuuuge
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:30 PM »

A celebration of Success. Everyone loves to moan about them, but Ryanair rarely get it wrong. What a business! The Founder was a guy called Tony Ryan, and RyanAir lost money for years, but he was OK, he was the billy big-cock in GPA, (Guinness Peat Aviation) an Aircraft Leasing outfit in Shannon, SW Ireland. In those days, Aircraft Leasing was the sexy thing in the City, but Tony got way too greedy in a botched flotation attempt, & it all went tits up. This'd be in the 70's or 80's. RyanAir was so bad, it was gonna skint him, so he bought in a young man called Michael O'Leary. It took Michael a few years to turn RyanAir round, but the rest is history. Now it's so damn good that everyome moans & grons about Ryanair. A sure sign it's successdul.

Ryanair Takes Delivery Of Its 200th New Boeing 737-800 Aircraft

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (25th Mar) celebrated the delivery of its 200th brand new Boeing 737-800 Next Generation aircraft. This year Ryanair’s fleet will carry 67 million passengers as it continues to grow traffic with its guaranteed lowest fares, which now average just €34, as passengers save billions by switching to Ryanair from high cost fuel surcharging flag carrier airlines.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“We are delighted to take delivery of our 200th brand new Boeing aircraft. The total value of the Ryanair fleet is now over $12billion. We are proud to operate the youngest, greenest and most fuel efficient fleet of any major European airline.

Pages: 1 ... 838 839 840 841 [842] 843 844 845 846 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: