blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 02:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272968 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 1544 1545 [1546] 1547 1548 1549 1550 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6394696 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23175 on: September 02, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »

Meanwhile, in China, they do these things bigger. MUCH bigger.

So big, in fact, that they celebrate theirs, & even have a Festival, everyone goes & watches it, & it's called the "Qiantank Tidal Bore Festival" I think.

To me, the fascination in these photos is not so much the bore itself, amazing as it is, but the people, who seem to value their lives so cheaply. It's a wonder they are not washed away, & drowned. Of course, if it were in the UK, the Authorities would close the whole area down & place a 100 mile exclusion area around it, in case they got sued for negligence. I suppose there is a happy medium somewhere betwen the 2 bizarre extremes, both of which are daft.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #23176 on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

When a known nipper walks towards you, open the conversation with "ahh, glad I bumped into you, bit short atm, could I borrow a one-er?"

Even the most hardened nipper is going to have trouble trying their luck after that.

A+

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #23177 on: September 02, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »

That's not A+ at all. The top 5 nippers would never let you get in first.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23178 on: September 02, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »

That's not A+ at all. The top 5 nippers would never let you get in first.

Tend to agree.

They always get in first, play on the front foot, so to speak.

The moment of most vulnerability is when you cash up after a Cash Game session, for example. You slide the tray across, wait for the girl to count out your money, & then you feel a tap on the shoulder...... that's the real awkward moment, you are almost always gg'd then.

Ironside got tapped up one day while he was at the ATM in DTD. Quality timing that, Sir.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #23179 on: September 02, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »

ha the only time I got properly nipped was cashing in at the cash desk after a decent win, didn't realise it at the time but obvious tactic. Nippers never walk towards u do can't get the first word in, they're more like a suprise predator who waits for u to walk past and emerges from the crowd with their opening gambit
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #23180 on: September 02, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »

you are almost always gg'd then.

That's when you roll up the notes, slide them in your pocket, look them in the eye and say "sorry, I don't have any cash on me."

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23181 on: September 02, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »

Ooh, questions about "Top 5" players in GUKPT's 5 yeats back, & now. Hmm, that may be interesting. OK, I'll think about that whilst I am on the Motorway today.

Questions about top 5 nippers 5 years ago, lol, bless, you wanna get me in even worse doo-doo than I already am, Jim? Not sure it would be wise to answer that, & anyway, I think everyone knows who they were. If we asked 100 circuit regulars of that era the same question, I bet 90% of them would come up with the same 5 names, so it would not tell us anything we don't already know.

What WOULD be more interesting is the anti-nipping procedures I use these days, & what steps others do to avoid the serial nippers. I'll give my answer tomorrow, but I'd be curious what measures others use. Sadly, in my line of work, "eff off" is not exactly on message.

Meanwhile.....

Not expecting you to name names, i was more interested to see if any had survived the times, i can think of 3 that would be on my list both then and now.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #23182 on: September 02, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

Saw this video with some crazy weather today - don't think I'd like to experience it first hand:

I've obv never been nipped because I'm assuming the best defence would be saying no

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #23183 on: September 02, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

When you arrive at the cash desk with the nippers gathering all around pull out your mobile and have a heated debate with a dead phone. Continue the debate until you are safely in your car. It's surprising how even the most hardened nipper wont interupt a serious telephone convo. You just gotta hope the phone doesn't ring while your doing it.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #23184 on: September 02, 2011, 04:25:02 PM »

When you arrive at the cash desk with the nippers gathering all around pull out your mobile and have a heated debate with a dead phone. Continue the debate until you are safely in your car. It's surprising how even the most hardened nipper wont interupt a serious telephone convo. You just gotta hope the phone doesn't ring while your doing it.

put it on silent first?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #23185 on: September 02, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »

you say that like a guy who's ever needed to go to the cash desk to be paid.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23186 on: September 03, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »

Played the £300 @ DTD yesterday, the less said the better. Was hopeless, cardless, luckless (good or bad) & imaginationless. Took me 7 levels to get above my starting stack, started to change gear, but engaged reverse instead. Most pleasing table company though, in the main. Left there @ 1am, & was back in London just after 3am, & slept like a baby. An old baby.

Had THE most wonderful thrill yesterday. Was driving north, had exited the M1 in Northamptonshire as the traffic was so shite, & was pootling up the back lanes when I spotted a bunch of Red Kites. Stopped the car, & watched them for over an hour, what a thrill.

They have a wingspan of almost 2 yards, & seem to hang in the air for ages without barely moving their wings.

They were nigh on extinct a century ago in the UK, but have staged a remarkable recovery, & are now plentiful.

In the nest, the bigger chicks will kill the smaller chicks quite often, to ensure enough food supply, greedy buggers.

I read somewhere that if the chicks are on the ground, & a predator approaches - a fox, say - then the mother & the chicks "play dead" until the predator passes by. Sounds a bit of a tall story to me, but maybe it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Kite

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23187 on: September 03, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

If yesterday's Red Kites were not enough for one weekend, I spotted more big flying things today.

British Airways have an "Open Weekend" round by their massive maintenance hanger @ Heathrow, outside of whiich, & free for the public to view, were a 747, a Concorde, & dwarfing everything, quite the most monstrously big flying thing you could ever imagine, an A380.

So I wasted another 2 hours ogling, oohing, & arring at these.

Awesome.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #23188 on: September 03, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »

That's a big plane

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
doogan

View Profile
« Reply #23189 on: September 03, 2011, 10:11:53 PM »

jealous i missed the open day but got tickets for this one    http://www.cvent.com/events/british-airways-open-day/event-summary-2d4f7694f1444f339a951a6368744895.aspx?i=b1d4d9a2-1b24-4407-8148-af692b56cc60     but no idea what it is

<--------------- prick
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 1544 1545 [1546] 1547 1548 1549 1550 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: