blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:09:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 1547 1548 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334745 times)
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #23145 on: August 23, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »

Just seen the pledges, ty so very much. It will be spent wisely, well probs on another holiday for him to make up for the ones he missed out on whilst having to spend his first best part of 5 years in hossy  TYTY.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:26:56 PM by The_nun » Logged

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #23146 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:36 AM »

Only wear aftershave when going out...think the ladies prefer it rather than the men..apparently they prefer us to smell nice as opposed to a curry/kebab a la Celtic. Mind you he has now managed to find a burd who likes the aroma of a thousand take-aways .

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23147 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »

Today, google has seen fit to mark what would have been the 112th birthday of Jorge Luis Borges. Who?

I wiki-d the chap, & it's one of the longer personal wiki pages, seems he had a bit of a name as a writer, & attracted not a little controversy. He must have some outstanding merit to be a google pin-up, I assume.

The embarrassment to me is that I've never even heard of the chap. Strange how we all seem to live in insular little worlds, oblivious to what is happening outside. Or I do, anyway, & my ignorance is shameful.

If only I could go round the block again, I'd do so many things different. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Luis_Borges

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23148 on: August 24, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »

However, Sue Townsend is another matter, this one I do know, she was the author of the series of "Adrian Mole" books, & she was esily the best-selling author of fiction in the 1980's.

She was the equivelant, back in the day, of J K Rowling, she was a very big name.

She appeared on R4 last week, I'd never heard her speak before. Her story is remarkable, taking up writing quite late in life, but she just wrote as she thought, plain basic English.

As to personality, she came across on the radio as incredibly bright, cheerful, & optimistic about all things in life, & she works for any number of charities.

It was only at the end of the piece that the Presenter of the Show revealed that Sue is now blind (or almost so), & recently donated her kidney to her son.

The contrast between the tragedy of going blind, & her bright & bubbly demeanour was very emotive, I thought, especially when you see some of the attitude & moanage on social-networking sites.

I "culled" a Twitter follower last week who never stopped saying "I'm bored", "I'm SO effing bored". He is 19. Sue is 65, blind, but devotes her life to others.

God bless Sue for her infectious happiness & incurable optimism. I've never read any of her books - they are fiction - but I might just give them a spin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Townsend

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23149 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:10 AM »

This Diary is DEFFO never gonna feature much poetry, but after I commented that I wished I could go round the block again, (in the Borges Post) a special friend sent me this. Please try & read it, & absorb it - I'm sure it applies to 90% of us. It 100% applies to me, I know that.

Slow Dance

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round?
Or listened to the rain slapping on the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.
The music won't last.

Do you run through each day
On the fly?

When you ask "How are you?"
Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done
Do you lie in your bed

With the next hundred chores
Running through your head?

You'd better slow down
Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.
The music won't last.

Ever told a someone,
We'll do it tomorrow?

And in your haste,
Not see their sorrow?

Ever lost touch,
Let a good friendship die

Cause you never had time
To call and say,'Hi'

You'd better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.
The music won't last..

When you run
so fast to get somewhere

You miss half the fun of getting
there.

When you worry and hurry
through your day,

It is like an unopened gift....
Thrown away.

Life is not a race.
Do take it slower

Hear the music

Before the song is over.

The author? Well it was an authoress, actually. 16 years old, & terminally ill.

How about that?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23150 on: August 24, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »

It was my PTP last night, & I managed the pretty unusual trick, for me, of exiting on the very first hand of the Main Event.

Before I could finish typing "gl lads, bla bla" this comment appeared in the chat box.....

xxxxxxx - i fort yu wer sposed to be gud at pokr

The mind boggles.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #23151 on: August 24, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »

Thank you to your special friend.  A lovely poem and anyone who can honestly say it doesn't apply to them is very lucky indeed. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23152 on: August 24, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »

Applied for Media Creds for the WSOP-E yesterday, but it's hellish expensive to take 3 or 4 peeps there for a week, so not entirely sure we'll go. Cannes in October must be quite splendid, & the Venue is right on the front.

But I can't quite figure the schedule - see below - many of the Tourneys are described as "Cash". Is this a legal thing, to get round licencing laws?

http://www.wsop.com/pdfs/schedules/schedule_827.pdf

What, for example, is a "PLO CASH FREEZEOUT"?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:09:29 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23153 on: August 24, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »

3rd place last night in the "Thews @ Ten" Tourney was one "luther101".

Surely can't be the same phuqqing one?

The winner was "elsadog", known on here, I think, as Elsadog/Popdog, who is older than me, & a tribeca veteran who many of the old timers must know. He has also won the last TWO runnings of the Sky Roller.

"Elderly Gent in "Can Play" shocker".

He even does backraises.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #23154 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »

looks like wsope has 3 types of tourney, sats, cash and bracelet events. just seems like a really odd naming convention used to make it clear that most side events are cash prizes only, no bracelets

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23155 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »

looks like wsope has 3 types of tourney, sats, cash and bracelet events. just seems like a really odd naming convention used to make it clear that most side events are cash prizes only, no bracelets

Ahh, yes, I guess that sort of adds up. Seems a bit cumbersome, though.

Be nice to go, though, & we found a reasonably priced Hotel on Lastminute.com, "Hotel Splendid", which is only about £70 per night, & looks to be only just across the road from the venue, according to google Maps.

Flights go to Nice, then bus/coach/taxi transfer, though if we went, I'd take the train, the railway along that Coast must be one of the most beautiful train rides on earth.

I'd think it's 70/30 against going, though, the money soon adds up. It's so easy to spend money, but it takes a bit of earning.

MrDickie

View Profile
« Reply #23156 on: August 24, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »

xxxxxxx - i fort yu wer sposed to be gud at pokr
The mind boggles.
So funny. Thanks for sharing.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #23157 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »

However, Sue Townsend is another matter, this one I do know, she was the author of the series of "Adrian Mole" books, & she was esily the best-selling author of fiction in the 1980's.

She was the equivelant, back in the day, of J K Rowling, she was a very big name.

She appeared on R4 last week, I'd never heard her speak before. Her story is remarkable, taking up writing quite late in life, but she just wrote as she thought, plain basic English.

As to personality, she came across on the radio as incredibly bright, cheerful, & optimistic about all things in life, & she works for any number of charities.

It was only at the end of the piece that the Presenter of the Show revealed that Sue is now blind (or almost so), & recently donated her kidney to her son.

The contrast between the tragedy of going blind, & her bright & bubbly demeanour was very emotive, I thought, especially when you see some of the attitude & moanage on social-networking sites.

I "culled" a Twitter follower last week who never stopped saying "I'm bored", "I'm SO effing bored". He is 19. Sue is 65, blind, but devotes her life to others.

God bless Sue for her infectious happiness & incurable optimism. I've never read any of her books - they are fiction - but I might just give them a spin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Townsend

Very true Tikay.. If some of these people ever had a real problem they would prob be gibbering jellies...some of them need to take stock and realise how lucky they really are and what they perceive as some great drama in their life is really pretty pathetic when compared to what other people go through without a mention of it

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #23158 on: August 24, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »

Take a few days in Nice if you do go, there's a fantastic promenade that runs pretty much from the airport to Nice (several miles) and I think you'd love the old town. Has great ice cream too. And there are trams!

I recently got the last Adrian Mole book as part of a collection and I really enjoyed it. I had read all the other Adrian Mole books as a teenager and enjoyed them then but thought I would probably have grown out of them by now, but was surprised. Although I guess the content would have matured a bit with the character. One thing that struck me about the book was I thought it had an amazingly happy ending whereas several other people online had thought it a shame that the ending was so sad.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #23159 on: August 24, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »

This Diary is DEFFO never gonna feature much poetry, but after I commented that I wished I could go round the block again, (in the Borges Post) a special friend sent me this. Please try & read it, & absorb it - I'm sure it applies to 90% of us. It 100% applies to me, I know that.

Slow Dance

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round?
Or listened to the rain slapping on the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.
The music won't last.

Do you run through each day
On the fly?

When you ask "How are you?"
Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done
Do you lie in your bed

With the next hundred chores
Running through your head?

You'd better slow down
Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.
The music won't last.

Ever told a someone,
We'll do it tomorrow?

And in your haste,
Not see their sorrow?

Ever lost touch,
Let a good friendship die

Cause you never had time
To call and say,'Hi'

You'd better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.
The music won't last..

When you run
so fast to get somewhere

You miss half the fun of getting
there.

When you worry and hurry
through your day,

It is like an unopened gift....
Thrown away.

Life is not a race.
Do take it slower

Hear the music

Before the song is over.

The author? Well it was an authoress, actually. 16 years old, & terminally ill.

How about that?

Great Poem

Love My Poetry

Very Evocative offering and certainly made me think

Thanks for posting that and lets have some more please Tony
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 1547 1548 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: