blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 11:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1592 1593 1594 1595 [1596] 1597 1598 1599 1600 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6388069 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #23925 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »

The dogs thing, there's no real rules, however wherever the servicemen go there's always someone adopts a stray. I posted a long piece before regards me taking my dog with us on a trip to bandit country in NI.

Can have great benefits, sense things/people long before we would, especially in the dark of night, great wee sentries.

And of course the company/comradeship from a dog well loved is unbeatable.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23926 on: November 22, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »

That's logical Captain, but enjoying a win at poker is not analagous with watching mug punters do their poke

Whyever not, Major?

In truth, it matters not which side of the counter I have been - & I've been both, remember - I've never felt sympathy for any form of gamblers who lose, & that includes me, & I've done plenty!

Anyone who can afford to gamble has nothing in life to complain about, it is a total luxury. "Running bad"? I think not. If we can afford to punt, or play poker, we are in easy street. Without losers, there are no wnners.

If people cannot afford to feed or look after their family, yes, I feel bad for them.

But if they gamble, & cannot afford to feed or look after their family, too bad, nil sympthy, zero, zilch. Nobody is forced to gamble.

You can call me Spock or a number of things but not major - I am an ethical investor, I avoid tobacco, alcohol and gambling stocks.

I take some of your ticket but I think that people who gamble way above their means deserve help & sympathy as they are actually ill. You only have to look at them to know this.

I hope advertising for gambling sites will be banned by some puritans soon

SOME may be ill, yes. The majority are just greedy, & want something for nothing, money without having to work for it. Quite a different thing.

I admire your stance on ethical investing, but it must put you in some awkward dilemmas. You avoid alcohol & gambling stocks, but use their products? And you have been a member of blonde, & used it a lot, for 6 years - blonde being founded, & run, to advertise gaming products, the attraction to the sponsors being the quantity of Members.

Not in any way belittling your stance, but you must find yourself in some very odd spots. Bit like those "green" protestors who use Civil Aviation to get around.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #23927 on: November 22, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

Last year on a trip to NI, I visited the memorial to this man in Newtonards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Mayne

An amazing man, and although Stirling took the majority of the credit, many reckon this man to be just as important to the success of the SAS.

Take a look at what he achieved through his short life............he was only 40 when he killed himself in a car crash

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23928 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »

Last year on a trip to NI, I visited the memorial to this man in Newtonards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Mayne

An amazing man, and although Stirling took the majority of the credit, many reckon this man to be just as important to the success of the SAS.

Take a look at what he achieved through his short life............he was only 40 when he killed himself in a car crash

Geo

There really are some folks round who have lived extraordinary lives, in this case, it seems, one mired in controversy.

Got to be envious when the opening para of your wiki page says.....

was a Northern Irish soldier, solicitor, Ireland rugby union international, amateur boxer, polar explorer and a founding member of the Special Air Service

Busy, or what?

However, I thought the section "after the war" was rather sad.

I love reading about all these semi-anon characters, who have achieved so much, thanks Geo.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23929 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »

Like football fans, bookies are also fickle.

Tonight, they mostly love the two Manchester Teams. Just a bit......

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #23930 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »

That's logical Captain, but enjoying a win at poker is not analagous with watching mug punters do their poke

Whyever not, Major?

In truth, it matters not which side of the counter I have been - & I've been both, remember - I've never felt sympathy for any form of gamblers who lose, & that includes me, & I've done plenty!

Anyone who can afford to gamble has nothing in life to complain about, it is a total luxury. "Running bad"? I think not. If we can afford to punt, or play poker, we are in easy street. Without losers, there are no wnners.

If people cannot afford to feed or look after their family, yes, I feel bad for them.

But if they gamble, & cannot afford to feed or look after their family, too bad, nil sympthy, zero, zilch. Nobody is forced to gamble.

You can call me Spock or a number of things but not major - I am an ethical investor, I avoid tobacco, alcohol and gambling stocks.

I take some of your ticket but I think that people who gamble way above their means deserve help & sympathy as they are actually ill. You only have to look at them to know this.

SOME may be ill, yes. The majority are just greedy, & want something for nothing, money without having to work for it. Quite a different thing.

I admire your stance on ethical investing, but it must put you in some awkward dilemmas. You avoid alcohol & gambling stocks, but use their products? And you have been a member of blonde, & used it a lot, for 6 years - blonde being founded, & run, to advertise gaming products, the attraction to the sponsors being the quantity of Members.

Not in any way belittling your stance, but you must find yourself in some very odd spots. Bit like those "green" protestors who use Civil Aviation to get around.

This feels like a logic failure to me.  This kind of logic would lead me to believe that I can only support the spread of FOBTs if I play poker, or that I am a firm believer in the heroin trade as I drink the occasional beer.

The reality is that I do recycle things despite travelling way too much and I often find myself working for companies which behave in ways I wouldn't choose to behave myself.  I can do this as I don't keep a list of all the decisions I have made in my left to ensure ethical consistency throughout.

I smoked for more than half my life and have invested in shares for many years.  Despite this I have never directly bought a tobacco share and can't see me ever doing so.   Plenty of nicer ways to make money in the World.

And the market is frequently wrong btw, the FTSE peaked in 2000, and the nikkei in 1989. I don't think Warren would ever advocate following the market, still I guess there is a good chance it is right on Thomas Cook.

Good night

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23931 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »

Oh my - lucky fella to escape from this.......

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/pilot-doing-fine-after-viaduct-helicopter-crash-4560847

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23932 on: November 23, 2011, 12:40:11 AM »

Whyever not, Major?

This feels like a logic failure to me.  This kind of logic would lead me to believe that I can only support the spread of FOBTs if I play poker, or that I am a firm believer in the heroin trade as I drink the occasional beer.

The reality is that I do recycle things despite travelling way too much and I often find myself working for companies which behave in ways I wouldn't choose to behave myself.  I can do this as I don't keep a list of all the decisions I have made in my left to ensure ethical consistency throughout.

I smoked for more than half my life and have invested in shares for many years.  Despite this I have never directly bought a tobacco share and can't see me ever doing so.   Plenty of nicer ways to make money in the World.

And the market is frequently wrong btw, the FTSE peaked in 2000, and the nikkei in 1989. I don't think Warren would ever advocate following the market, still I guess there is a good chance it is right on Thomas Cook.

Good night

Well yes - that was almost the point - being, or trying to be, "ethical" really does cause us to be in some awkward spots. As in, for example, supporting blondepker, which earns it's income from the promotion of Gaming products. Because I own a piece of it, does that make me less ethical than a user of it? It may, in fact, but I think it's a thin line.

Warren follow the market? Never, almost the exact opposite. Whilst the dot.com explosion was taking place, he was buying shoe shops, candy stores, razor manufacturers, chewing gum makers, & later, even a Railroad. Who ever purchased a railway & turned a profit? He did.

The Market does get it wrong sometimes, yes. Mostly not, but sometimes yes. Again, like the bookies.

To be fair, I'm a little perplexed by the whole subject, & don't speak with much conviction. Can we discuss concrete?

And a very good night to you too, Mr Doobs.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:42:13 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23933 on: November 23, 2011, 01:02:35 AM »

Dear snoopy, bless him, must be the king punster, he loves puns.

In his write up for the Black Belt High-Roller, won by Ben Vinson in an absolute star studded Final Table, snoops wrote "Vinson, lose some".

Not his finest pun, but the boy sure tries his best. Lord Channing must really appreciate him.

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #23934 on: November 23, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »

I don't think Warren would ever advocate following the market

Bad Beat

View Profile
« Reply #23935 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »

He's worse in the office.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23936 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »

He's worse in the office.

Get him one of these, he'll crap himself.

Did he ever tell you the SnoopOstyOst tale?

PS - Congrats on what was, I gather, a very successful weekend in Nottingham. And just how well organized are DTD, compared to most?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23937 on: November 23, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »

Frozen Planet -  BBC1 - 9pm tonight. Highlight of the TV week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmjMcYtz40

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #23938 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:45 PM »

Frozen Planet -  BBC1 - 9pm tonight. Highlight of the TV week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmjMcYtz40

Yay, caught up with they other one's over the last few days, what a legend he is.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23939 on: November 23, 2011, 09:27:21 PM »

Fed up with the tosh music on Red's Diary?

No prob, let's have some proper music.

Culture ftw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkt8E2Ul-Xw

Pages: 1 ... 1592 1593 1594 1595 [1596] 1597 1598 1599 1600 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: