blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2419 2420 2421 2422 [2423] 2424 2425 2426 2427 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6333553 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36330 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »

Really interesting Show on PBS last night about Elevators. (Lifts to you & me).

Arguably, THE safest form of transport (transport?) in the world, with billions of daily "trips". 90% of fatalaties in Elevators in the USA involve the Engineers who install & service them. Maybe 4 or 5 fatalaties per year, though the stats exclude 9/11 & the WTC, understandably.

It was mostly quite interesting. If you think about it, life as we know it in most major connurbations could not exist without lifts/elevators, as High-Rise offices & Residences are necessary these days, & nobody is going to walk up to the 50th floor or whatever. New York or Vegas without lifts? Ain't gonna happen.   

The dumbed down part of the Show was the central running theme - "TRAPPED IN AN ELEVATOR".

Geezer gets trapped in an elevator in his New York Office at 11pm on Friday night, & because Security failed to monitor the CCTV, or answer the emergency phone, it was Sunday afternoon before he got out, some 43 hours later.

Before they showed his plight, they interviewed him. "Worst 2 days of my life" he says.

What?, I'm thinking?

2 days stuck in a lift is the worst 2 days of your life? You ain't lived, sunny boy.

He had really straggly long hair too, another reason not to like him. Long hair, ffs, they'll be having tattoos next.

Anyway, there was a CCTV in the lift, so we got to see him stuck in the lift for 2 days. Stand up, sit down, stand up, lay down, pick his nose, scratch his arse, prise the doors open & piss down the lift shaft, the lot.

When it was all over, he sued the Building Managers, & was awarded........$200,000.

HOW MUCH?

For 2 days stuck in a lift? $100,000 per day?

Wish I could get $100,000 a day for time-wasters. Might apply for a week, actually.

And he can afford to get his hair cut now.   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:01:22 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36331 on: January 07, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »

how about escalators

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36332 on: January 07, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »

how about escalators

Brilliant!

That really is top class.

I actually know someone who is petrified of escalators, just as many are scared of flying.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #36333 on: January 07, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »

It's hard work you know!! the missus always wakes me up when she leaves to take Amelie to nursery in the morning before she goes to work, then I actually have to go offline and leave the house at 5pm to pick her up!! Then it's a whole 2hrs before she is back in bed!!

July time I could be a full time SAHD and even be expected to do some house work on top. That's when I will "realise how tough it is", apparently..

You won't have time for all those apostrophes when she is at home.   Was wondering how the heck you managed to watch 7 films in a day.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #36334 on: January 08, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »

It's hard work you know!! the missus always wakes me up when she leaves to take Amelie to nursery in the morning before she goes to work, then I actually have to go offline and leave the house at 5pm to pick her up!! Then it's a whole 2hrs before she is back in bed!!

July time I could be a full time SAHD and even be expected to do some house work on top. That's when I will "realise how tough it is", apparently..

You won't have time for all those apostrophes when she is at home.   Was wondering how the heck you managed to watch 7 films in a day.

Only the 1 film per day now that I am a full time grindbot.. Sad Capt Phillips last night and saving Mr banks the night before. Highly recommend both.

Truth be told I am looking forward to it, I know it will be tough at times but highly enjoyable. Everyday at 'Daddy day care'  is an adventure.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36335 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »

2,400 +, pages & a million views in, Vegas & the Aftermath, after majoring for 7 years on such fascinating subjects as railways, bridges & concrete, as well as Level 7 analysis of poker, becomes a meeting place for the SAHD Support Group.

Here's Doobs & Millinit yesterday afternoon.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36336 on: January 08, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »

2,400 +, pages & a million views in, Vegas & the Aftermath, after majoring for 7 years on such fascinating subjects as railways, bridges & concrete, as well as Level 7 analysis of poker, becomes a meeting place for the SAHD Support Group.

How do those stats compare to the Caravan Clubs diary?

Cymru am byth
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36337 on: January 08, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »

Thought you might like this

The facade of the public library in Kansas City

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36338 on: January 08, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »

Thought you might like this

The facade of the public library in Kansas City

Ooh, love it!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36339 on: January 08, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »

How do those stats compare to the Caravan Clubs diary?

He appeals to a different audience, they prefer to discuss the finer points of farting & that sort of thing.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36340 on: January 08, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »

Excellent stuff.

Took me a good few hours, much of it was pretty depressing to be honest.

The underlying theme seems to be death in one shape or another. What we don't ordinarily think about is that evey one of those deaths is a tragedy for so many others, especially family.

I could discuss some of those photos for hours on end, but I've selected two that especially caught my eye, as they demonstrate, in very different ways, "scale".

The 2nd one, in particular, staggered me.

In the first one, we see the tragedy of one death, but there are so many others if those graves are anything to go by. Every one is a tragedy in it's own right, but barely a sidebar in the local news.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:12:12 PM by tikay » Logged

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #36341 on: January 11, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »

I had this show up on my facebook wall from an old teacher, thought it might interested you. Enjoy Smiley

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/198876/rare-color-film-shows-what-london-looked-like-in-1927/

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36342 on: January 12, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »

I had this show up on my facebook wall from an old teacher, thought it might interested you. Enjoy Smiley

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/198876/rare-color-film-shows-what-london-looked-like-in-1927/

Loved that Dan, thank you, though I had to turn the sound off, that bloody music did my head in. I wonder if silence will ever come back into fashion?

So many of those views of London remain identical to this day, over 80 years on. Much of The Embankment street furniture, & of course the gates of Buck Pal, & Whitehall, are as beautiful today as they were then. On London Bridge, the granite kerbs are still there, crisp & sharp as always.

The footage in Petticoat Lane (4.19 onwards) was remarkable, every man bar one was wearing a hat. The one hatless guy was, I'm pretty sure, Karabiner. 

Thanks very much.

PS - Good luck tonight with the Doobs stake. It'd be remarkable if he could win it again, but stranger things have happened.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36343 on: January 12, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »

After viewing that thing Dan Posted, this one came up, London in the 1950's. Again, even though the music (Debussy) is beautiful, best turn it off, I want to look at the visions, not listen to bloody music, if I want to listen to music I'll get my Walkman out.

This is London exactly as I recall it as a young boy. Enchanting, emotional, evocative.

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #36344 on: January 12, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »

Cheers  Dan and TK they were both superb, got to love youtube
Pages: 1 ... 2419 2420 2421 2422 [2423] 2424 2425 2426 2427 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: