blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:53:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2740 2741 2742 2743 [2744] 2745 2746 2747 2748 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6366635 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41145 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »

Oddly, in the same Tourney in Norway, I first met this man, too. Now he WAS a big star then, just about the biggest name in poker at the time.

I bet many of the new school lads don't even know who he is.

Not sure what he does these days. I heard he lived in Vegas, hustled on the golf course, & does a lot of sports betting. What a life. Last time I saw him he had the most gorgeous young lady in tow.

The boy did well. 

Had to double check that was who I thought it was. Fond of an additional pie or two these days it seems.

I can't find a recent photo of him, so will have to take your word for that.

Here's another huge name from that era, he had the poker world at his feet back in the day, had all the best sponsorship deals, the looks, the game, AND he got to chat with the delish Isabelle.

Click to see full-size image.

How was the Rugby, the result apart, did you enjoy it? I heard Prince Albert of Monaco was there. A fan of cute little Principalities, presumably.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:57:41 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41146 on: February 10, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »

This is fun, 'name that scandi'

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41147 on: February 10, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »

No I meant he looked a bit chubbier in that photo than I remembered. Tall lanky lad wasn't he?

Rugby was good, but always disheartening when your team under performs. Was a weird feeling as normally losing to England is utterly depressing. This time around less so. Not sure why. Maybeit was because England had to be 10/10 just to beat us. No idea. Perhaps it's because us Welshers don't like being favourites and it felt comfy to resort to underdog status. *shrugs*
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41148 on: February 10, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »

10 x better than a regular UK hotel?  Suppose if you only ever stay in the Travelodge it might be true.
I don't think the food us that bad, the dim sum place is pretty solid for instance.  The curry place is no more than ok and isn't that cheap.  The buffet is ok, but nothing like the Wynn.   Starbucks is Starbucks.  I don't really mind the poker kitchen, definitely better than it was.   

There is a bit of a stale cigarette smell about the place from memory, but guess Tikay wouldn't notice.

Never really had much of an issue taxi from the Wynn, Venetian or City center, to the Rio.  Am never ever leaving 5 minutes before kick off though.  You don't travel enough if that journey is a ballache.   

Can definitely see the advantage with just been able to go to your room for dinner.  Break feels too long to hang around and too short to get back to the strip and eat.    Surely just got to go shot or bust first 4 levels tho?  Probably not so hard now they have messed with the structures. 

Maybe not "10", but certainly close to it, £ for £.

Having spent half my working life in UK B & B's &, latterly, Hotels, Vegas Hotels are better by a considerable magnitude. I'm talking "working mens" hotels of course, Travelodge, Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Days Inn, that sort of thing.

In Vegas, we get shops, eateries, entertainment, shows, bars, Starbys, huge cardrooms, 24/7, all sorts, without even leaving the front door, don't see that in many Travelodges.

I know The Rio is not Vegas's swankiest or newest by any means, but when lads tell me it's "shite", it makes me a bit cross, they've not lived if they think that is not jolly good.

A night in The Rio - or most Vegas regular hotels - is no more expensive than a night in many Travelodges, either. There's no comparision, imo. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41149 on: February 10, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »

The one that lives in Vegas was a right fish when I used to play on Ladbrokes Wink

pkrbt and the 'Swedish Santas' Cheesy

This is fun, 'name that scandi'

Nebu didn't do too badly post poker, with his Kopparberg investment...

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41150 on: February 10, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »

No I meant he looked a bit chubbier in that photo than I remembered. Tall lanky lad wasn't he?

Rugby was good, but always disheartening when your team under performs. Was a weird feeling as normally losing to England is utterly depressing. This time around less so. Not sure why. Maybeit was because England had to be 10/10 just to beat us. No idea. Perhaps it's because us Welshers don't like being favourites and it felt comfy to resort to underdog status. *shrugs*

Oh I see, & yes, he was.

Big "goldfish" eyes, too.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41151 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »

A night in The Rio - or most Vegas regular hotels - is no more expensive than a night in many Travelodges, either. There's no comparision, imo. 

I spent a week at the Rio in 2006, and thought it was great. That said, it was my first trip to Vegas, and I would probably have been alright if they made me sleep outside Cheesy

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41152 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »

Oddly, in the same Tourney in Norway, I first met this man, too. Now he WAS a big star then, just about the biggest name in poker at the time.

Not sure what he does these days. I heard he lived in Vegas, hustled on the golf course, & does a lot of sports betting. What a life. Last time I saw him he had the most gorgeous young lady in tow.

The boy did well.  

Had a lot of back problems which meant it was very uncomfortable for him to play much live poker. Top bloke away from the tables.

Something about "Sleeper Trains" is quite magical.

That is so true. As my father was an employee of British Rail we used to receive free travel passes as far as the Spanish border. We used to take advantage of these a couple of times a year and the whole sleeping on a train experience was wonderful.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41153 on: February 10, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

Happy 8th Birthday next door Pops , never had you down as a man with stamina,well done.

Thanks David.

Amazing, really, I've been there 8 years 4 months now, & my original deal was for 3 months.

After a while, they gave me a 2 year deal, then it reduced to 1 year, & now, for a goodly while, it's been a rolling 6 month thing. It'll end soon I guess, & that'll be that, I'll shuffle off quietly & reasonably happily I suppose. I have given them my all, & a bit more, so in that respect, no regrets.

Amazing how well that Business has done, too. They have to endure all the insults, daily, all over the internet, about how bad it is, & yet is it increasing traffic at an amazing rate, even right now, with numbers way up (double digit) on last year. Few Rooms can say that these days. And its mainly because they tend to recognize the recreationals are the key to the poker economy.  

Strange company - very strange - to work for, & I get unbelievably frustrated sometimes about some matters, & how long the decision making process can take even for (what seems) the simplest of things. The fact is though, it works, they are still expanding, & they make a lot of money, so it's hard to knock it. In truth, I don't fit very well in big orgsanisations, I'm more used to small companies.  

It does not help that I'm London-based, & all the Team are in Leeds, so I'm an "outsider" by definition before I start. The Team are all very very young & bright, Uni Grads, "Executives" by title, & so interference from the grumpy, doddery old bastard who thinks he knows more about poker is not much welcomed as a rule. There had been discussion about me working from the Leeds office, which would help in some ways. 

I've had some wonderful times there, & a good few dark days, too, especially when the haters were in full flow, & I had to face 3 or 4 legal inquiries & challenges, they were really awful experiences being grilled by my own colleagues. I still think about that every day, those scars will never heal, but it's all in the past now & I'm still plodding away.

Be a major surprise if I survive there much longer, but you never know, & what will be will be.

Made some lovely friends - & a few enemies - along the way.

I really enjoy looking back, with the bonus of perspective, & time, which sharpens the picture.

That may seem an overly long answer, but I could write pages & pages.  

I've had to change the focus of this Diary, as blonde is flagging, & so I'm putting stuff elsewhere on blonde these days, & so the Diary, if it continues, will be more "personal" from here on in.

How is your health these days, anyway? Tom keeps asking me about your motorbike.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:39:43 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41154 on: February 10, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »

The boy did well.  

Had a lot of back problems which meant it was very uncomfortable for him to play much live poker. Top bloke away from the tables.

Something about "Sleeper Trains" is quite magical.

That is so true. As my father was an employee of British Rail we used to receive free travel passes as far as the Spanish border. We used to take advantage of these a couple of times a year and the whole sleeping on a train experience was wonderful.

Oh my, I never knew that. Amazing how many people love trains.

In the 50's & 60's, for a kd to go near a steam loco, or even get on the footplate, was a dream come true.

All railway employees & immediate family had what used to be called "Privelege Tickets", "privs" for short. It was about one third the single fare for a return to anywhere. We used to go all over the place, as Privs made it so cheap, even the Ferries to Isle of Wight, Channel Islands, France, you could book all those with a "priv".

In addition to the Privs, we got three Free Passes evey year, these allowed tavel right across the Continent. Amazing value, really. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:41:22 PM by tikay » Logged

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41155 on: February 10, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »

Happy 8th Birthday next door Pops , never had you down as a man with stamina,well done.

Thanks David.

Amazing, really, I've been there 8 years 4 months now, & my original deal was for 3 months.

After a while, they gave me a 2 year deal, then it reduced to 1 year, & now, for a goodly while, it's been a rolling 6 month thing. It'll end soon I guess, & that'll be that, I'll shuffle off quietly & reasonably happily I suppose. I have given them my all, & a bit more, so in that respect, no regrets.

Amazing how well that Business has done, too. They have to endure all the insults, daily, all over the internet, about how bad it is, & yet is it increasing traffic at an amazing rate, even right now, with numbers way up (double digit) on last year. Few Rooms can say that these days. And its mainly because they tend to recognize the recreationals are the key to the poker economy.  

Strange company - very strange - to work for, & I get unbelievably frustrated sometimes about some matters, & how long the decision making process can take even for (what seems) the simplest of things. The fact is though, it works, they are still expanding, & they make a lot of money, so it's hard to knock it. In truth, I don't fit very well in big orgsanisations, I'm more used to small companies.  

I've had some wonderful times there, & a good few dark days, too, especially when the haters were in full flow, & I had to face 3 or 4 legal inquiries & chalenges, they were really awful experiences being grilled by my own colleagues. I still think about that every day, those scars will never heal, but it's all in the past now & I'm still plodding away.

Be a major surprise if I survive there much longer, but you never know, & what will be will be.

Made some lovely friends - & a few enemies - along the way.

I rerally enjoy looking back, with the bonus of perspective, & time, which sharpens the picture.

That may seem an overly long answer, but I could write pages & pages.  

I've had to change the focus of this Diary, as blonde is flagging, & so I'm putting stuff elsewhere on blonde these days, & so the Diary, if it continues, will be more "personal" from here on in.

How is your health these days, anyway? Tom keeps asking me about your motorbike.

Still a bit of life left in you yet , can't see them letting go of you just yet.

I'm in good health thanks , although the waistline has expanded since i gave up smoking (17 weeks). Warmer weather is on the way so i will be able to shed some pounds on my salad diet.

Hoping to have a few trips on the bike this summer before it gets handed over.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41156 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »

One more thing for today, then I need to go & try & pen my next Bluff Europe piece.

I mentioned I'd achieved a little "Bucket List" tick over the weekend.

Weirdest thing.

I've always wanted to try & do what the poker pros & so-called "regs" describe as a "grind" (poker version).  I loathe the expression, actually, but thats another story.

Anyway, with a rare free weekend, a a "Double Points" offer on Next Door, I decided to have a whole online poker weekend, "grinding" the SNG's.

And that's exactly what I did, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, 5 or 6 hours each day. Turned the phone & TV off, & just pokered.

Loved it.

I suppose it helped that I set some targets as to "Points earned" & met them, & the other target was not to lose money & I managed that, too.

So I made a fortune? Well no, not exactly. Total profit from all those hours was around £125, plus about £23 in Reward Points money, so £150 in total.

Cost-effective? Abso not.

Satisfying? Yes, very.

I only play small-ball stuff, £3.30, £5.50 & £11 a go, & they are PLO8 DYM's, so half the field of 6 get paid. Not exactly hard to get paid, but it's not as easy as it sounds to keep repeating the trick.

Anyway, I won around 60%, over a sample size of around 140 DYM's, & ended about £150 up. Roughly £1 profit per game, which is great, ker-ching, ker-ching, a dripping tap soon fills a bath sorta thing. 

It originated as a challenge to turn £200 into £1,000, about 18 months ago, & I'm on just over £1,800 now. Taken me long enough, mind, yikes. 

It pleases me a whole lot that, at my age, I can still consistently make a profit at poker, even if it is small ball. 

MTT's? Well yes, they have a great buzz, & much bigger money at stake, but I don't like the disappointment of losing most of the time, the pain does not seem worth the pleasure. You know, all that "I hate Sundays" nonsense.

I can play for 2 or 3 hours every night, don't need staking, & rarely win or lose more than £30.

Lovely job.

Poker is a wonderful game, & I doubt I've ever enjoyed it as much as I do these days. It saddens me a tad that many take it for granted.

So, a little Bucket List tick sorted.

Next case.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #41157 on: February 10, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »

As an outsider looking in at skybet/poker i always get the impression they focus on margin over volume much better than the vast majority of online gaming firms.  So many have tried to keep up with the nonsense price driven promos month after month going top price everything but refusing to lay any sort of bet at these mythical prices yet Skybet just seem to bob along avoiding all the price competition and focus on the margins.  I have never met anyone who has worked for skybet/poker at any stage of my time in this game (yourself excluded).  Do they retain their staff well as i don't hear loads of their former staff working for other firms?

I find it incredible that skybet is valued after the recent sale on a par with the 'world's biggest bookmaker' - Lolbrokes even though ladbrokes have 10000 fobts printing money every day in shops that skybet doesn't have.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:17:48 PM by arbboy » Logged
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #41158 on: February 10, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

Obviously Jedi Tikay is a popular chap and no doubt all of his potential action has been taken but if u have a spare 1% I'll take it. If not no worries and good luck when u go. Hopefully I'll be going for the first time later in the year, health and wealth all being ok.

Of course, delighted Mr Omm.

There'll be plenty spare, no danger there.

How is your health these days, if I may ask, I know you've had quite a torrid time? Just don't reply if it's awkward, or the question is overly intrusive.

Will be updating the list very shortly, you'll be on it.

Hi Tikay,

I don't mind talking about, if only to help raise awareness of what a terrible illness Pancretitus is. I'm still having quite a tough time, take large amounts of Tramodol and Morphine  on a daily basis just so I can carry on with everyday life and this is 2 years after my first (and main) attack. The ilness is such that it affects different people in different ways and although I haven't had an "attack" in about 3 months my daily life is very much a grind as I feel about 90 not 36. The great news is that my wife is an absolute superstar and has stuck by me even when I have been the biggest ass in the world , she has been my nurse, my councillor and my rock, I owe her my life as without her I may not have got through this. Sorry to get so deep and depressing but this is how it is.

My Pancretitus was caused by Gallstones caught in the pancreatic duct, however the biggest cause of this illness in the country/world is alcohol, as such I can never drink alcohol again (unless I want the same to happen). I just think there should be more awareness of the dangers of alcohol if drunk to excess over a long period of time. Doctors reckon that Pancretitus is the worse pain the human body can go through and can take years to recover from properly. It certainly is a life changer, at least I'm alive to see my kids grow up and hopefully get well enough to live a normal life in the future. I've been through the worse period of my life (hopefully) which has even affected my parents (as I bought our family home years ago and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage they ended up losing their home, which u can imagine was an absolute nightmare for them and a great burden for me). Bet your glad u asked now?  Grin as I'm able to function better of a night than in the morning I can still play poker and if anything I focus more at the tables than ever before and am actually quite profitable now more than ever, silver linings and all that.
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #41159 on: February 10, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »

1% of the Vegas action pls!

BOOM!

Thanks Nick.

See you at the Sky Poker UKPC, I hope?

Yes of course, wouldn't miss that one. See you there!
Pages: 1 ... 2740 2741 2742 2743 [2744] 2745 2746 2747 2748 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: