blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2742 2743 2744 2745 [2746] 2747 2748 2749 2750 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334041 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41175 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »

Great Tattoo Rod, thanks for sharing your experiences. Tikay will wonder what's been going on when he comes back and find his diary has been taken over by us.

Ha!

I don't mind in the least, in fact I'm pleased.

Here's an illness which I'd barely heard of, & knew nothing of, one chap tells us his experience of it, & suddenly 2 more people come on & say they have had it, too.

More generally, talking about our illnesses, ails & woes is quite theraupautic I think.

Those of us who are blessed with good health should not take it for granted. I've not had any problems health wise in my entire life, never had a day off sick in 52 years that I can recall, I don't know what it is like to be ill. In some ways, it's good to be reminded that many have not been so lucky.

Trains, bridges & concrete will resume shortly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41176 on: February 11, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »

Oddly, in the same Tourney in Norway, I first met this man, too. Now he WAS a big star then, just about the biggest name in poker at the time.

I bet many of the new school lads don't even know who he is.

Not sure what he does these days. I heard he lived in Vegas, hustled on the golf course, & does a lot of sports betting. What a life. Last time I saw him he had the most gorgeous young lady in tow.

The boy did well. 

Had to double check that was who I thought it was. Fond of an additional pie or two these days it seems.

I can't find a recent photo of him, so will have to take your word for that.

Here's another huge name from that era, he had the poker world at his feet back in the day, had all the best sponsorship deals, the looks, the game, AND he got to chat with the delish Isabelle.

Click to see full-size image.

How was the Rugby, the result apart, did you enjoy it? I heard Prince Albert of Monaco was there. A fan of cute little Principalities, presumably.

Bengt Sonnert was a legend back in the day.  I went to Monte Carlo with him, Ben Grundy and Betfair back when I thought World domination was still a possibility.  One of his friends was at my table for much of day 2.  He was all 3 street bluffs with nothing and shown then he got called with the nuts.  I recognised him from the Betfair cash tables at the time, but can't remember his name now.  Bengt was above talking to the qualifiers back then, but it was a different era.

I think Bengt just kind of retired and lived off his money, I don't think he wanted the fame. 

I guess Ben Grundy still plays. but haven't seen him around for a long time.

There was a group of them that all used to play on Laddies, too. They names themselves 'The Swedish Santas', and they used to keep a blog about their exploits back in the day.

Some of the scandis I remember

Erik and Bengt, obviously

Sargon Ruya
Fuat Can
Daniel Larsson
Bo Sehlstedt

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41177 on: February 11, 2015, 01:09:44 PM »

Great Tattoo Rod, thanks for sharing your experiences. Tikay will wonder what's been going on when he comes back and find his diary has been taken over by us.

Ha!

I don't mind in the least, in fact I'm pleased.

Here's an illness which I'd barely heard of, & knew nothing of, one chap tells us his experience of it, & suddenly 2 more people come on & say they have had it, too.

More generally, talking about our illnesses, ails & woes is quite theraupautic I think.

Those of us who are blessed with good health should not take it for granted. I've not had any problems health wise in my entire life, never had a day off sick in 52 years that I can recall, I don't know what it is like to be ill. In some ways, it's good to be reminded that many have not been so lucky.

Trains, bridges & concrete will resume shortly.

Same as yourself, I'd only heard of it in passing, and had no idea it was such a serious condition.

Glad that all of you seem to have things under control, but I wouldn't mind a shot of Omm's tramadol, as I've heard that's not a bad one if you want a good nights kip Grin

Not sure I could handle no spicy food though!

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #41178 on: February 11, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »

From today's Racing Post Tony on an interesting problem at Kempton racecourse.

''' There are 24 swans residing in and around the lake at the course, all of which enjoy royal protection and Clifford liaises closely with the Queen's chief swan marker David Barber as part of his wider duties'''

Don't you think Chief Swan marker to the Queen sounds like a nice way to make a living?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41179 on: February 11, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »

''' There are 24 swans residing in and around the lake at the course, all of which enjoy royal protection and Clifford liaises closely with the Queen's chief swan marker David Barber as part of his wider duties'''

Don't you think Chief Swan marker to the Queen sounds like a nice way to make a living?

On my bucket list is poaching, preparing, roasting & eating of a swan. Just think it's wrong that all of a species is 'owned' by one person for the whole country. And they're just big white geese, and geese taste good!!

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41180 on: February 11, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »

Please. That's a very onerous responsibility, & is to be taken seriously.

Would you like to go to work every day wearing that hat?

He has to go to work by boat, too.

He has to deal with some very common sorts, too, from the lesser provinces, who seem to think they have a right to poach (or even roast) Her Majesty's Swans.

We need to remember one thing here Phil.

Her Majesty OWNS us. We must respect Her, & all that is Hers.

Can you BEGIN to imagine the outcome if "Marker of the Swans" David Barber (who, I hope, is a Sir or a Lord), had to deal with Rod Paradise, & David waved his feather at him, assaulted him with it, even? Rod would soon learn the error of his ways. Oh yes.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #41181 on: February 11, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »

Sargon Ruya
Fuat Can
Daniel Larsson
Bo Sehlstedt

Wow, some names there. Got me thinking of the very first 'name' I could remember on Ladbrokes - Dared - which led to this trip down memory lane: http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,1448494,00.html
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41182 on: February 11, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »

Please. That's a very onerous responsibility, & is to be taken seriously.

Would you like to go to work every day wearing that hat?

He has to go to work by boat, too.

He has to deal with some very common sorts, too, from the lesser provinces, who seem to think they have a right to poach (or even roast) Her Majesty's Swans.

We need to remember one thing here Phil.

Her Majesty OWNS us. We must respect Her, & all that is Hers.

Can you BEGIN to imagine the outcome if "Marker of the Swans" David Barber (who, I hope, is a Sir or a Lord), had to deal with Rod Paradise, & David waved his feather at him, assaulted him with it, even? Rod would soon learn the error of his ways. Oh yes.

He might enjoy where I shoved his feather....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41183 on: February 11, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »

Sargon Ruya
Fuat Can
Daniel Larsson
Bo Sehlstedt

Wow, some names there. Got me thinking of the very first 'name' I could remember on Ladbrokes - Dared - which led to this trip down memory lane: http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,1448494,00.html

Spencer finished 2nd to Eric on the first cruise. I didn't go, but my old man went...

Barry Craig - Batroot

I remember getting hammered with him and Marty Smyth at the Rio in 2008. Think that was the same night Marty Wilson was playing highstakes blackjack with John Magill, while I was getting more trollied with another Irish fella,  Ciaran something...

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41184 on: February 11, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »

On my bucket list is poaching, preparing, roasting & eating of a swan. Just think it's wrong that all of a species is 'owned' by one person for the whole country. And they're just big white geese, and geese taste good!!

Can't ever remember having 'goose', so will have to ensure that I do so when I next see it on the menu.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41185 on: February 11, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

Running close to the edge with tattoo's as they re suspiciously close to art. As we know, that sort of guff goes in the other so called Diary.

Cymru am byth
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #41186 on: February 11, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »

I had the privilege and pleasure to meet Eric Dalby when working for Betfair and in attendance at the WSOPE 2008 (?) where he made a run at the PLO (?) event.

What can I say but what a phenomenal man. I got on with him really rather well, and it was fantastic to chat to him on breaks. On the FT he made one play where he simply had to have it. I asked him on break, and with a conspiratorial wink he said "you mustn't tell them Ed, but I had nothing at all. I just knew he didn't either".

What a nice man.

Oh, and I've just remembered. I think he cashed for about £40k - he couldn't get a cab when he bust, so he and his friend took the night bus home.

EDIT: £85k!! http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=32266
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:14:53 PM by edgascoigne » Logged

Allez!!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41187 on: February 12, 2015, 01:13:14 AM »

Oddly, in the same Tourney in Norway, I first met this man, too. Now he WAS a big star then, just about the biggest name in poker at the time.

I bet many of the new school lads don't even know who he is.

Not sure what he does these days. I heard he lived in Vegas, hustled on the golf course, & does a lot of sports betting. What a life. Last time I saw him he had the most gorgeous young lady in tow.

The boy did well. 

Had to double check that was who I thought it was. Fond of an additional pie or two these days it seems.

I can't find a recent photo of him, so will have to take your word for that.

Here's another huge name from that era, he had the poker world at his feet back in the day, had all the best sponsorship deals, the looks, the game, AND he got to chat with the delish Isabelle.

How was the Rugby, the result apart, did you enjoy it? I heard Prince Albert of Monaco was there. A fan of cute little Principalities, presumably.

Bengt Sonnert was a legend back in the day.  I went to Monte Carlo with him, Ben Grundy and Betfair back when I thought World domination was still a possibility.  One of his friends was at my table for much of day 2.  He was all 3 street bluffs with nothing and shown then he got called with the nuts.  I recognised him from the Betfair cash tables at the time, but can't remember his name now.  Bengt was above talking to the qualifiers back then, but it was a different era.

I think Bengt just kind of retired and lived off his money, I don't think he wanted the fame. 

I guess Ben Grundy still plays. but haven't seen him around for a long time.

There was a group of them that all used to play on Laddies, too. They names themselves 'The Swedish Santas', and they used to keep a blog about their exploits back in the day.

Sargon Ruya
Fuat Can
Daniel Larsson
Bo Sehlstedt

Got him

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=51402. Seems to have gone completely, he was so aggro back then.   Such a high attrition rate even amongst those that shone very brightly back then.  Not even sure how I survived that day, even had Patrik Antinous on my table for a couple of hours, and he was utterly terrifying at the time.

It is weird looking back at the live update and so many names have disappeared that I had long forgotten.  tillerman, Ash Hussain, and I remember playing a lot on kirderf and he seems to have disappeared not long after.

Funny how I remember it now, Andy Black was in my hotel and I was all "wow, Andy Black".  Can't imagine doing that now.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41188 on: February 12, 2015, 01:39:40 AM »

I had the privilege and pleasure to meet Eric Dalby when working for Betfair and in attendance at the WSOPE 2008 (?) where he made a run at the PLO (?) event.

What can I say but what a phenomenal man. I got on with him really rather well, and it was fantastic to chat to him on breaks. On the FT he made one play where he simply had to have it. I asked him on break, and with a conspiratorial wink he said "you mustn't tell them Ed, but I had nothing at all. I just knew he didn't either".

What a nice man.

Oh, and I've just remembered. I think he cashed for about £40k - he couldn't get a cab when he bust, so he and his friend took the night bus home.

EDIT: £85k!! http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=32266

My old man used to run 'Laddies' tourneys at his club between 2004-6, and a fair few of the regs from that time used to come down to Dorchester for a £30rebuy. Skalie used to come down with a load of lads from the NW, and I even had a couple mates fly over from Sweden/Tenerife.

Eric used to travel down for them, and his demeanour definitely wasn't representative of his play. Lovely guy, and one that definitely loves the game!

Had to check with the old man, but he still had his alias on a spreadsheet 'Lowball'

Got him

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=51402. Seems to have gone completely, he was so aggro back then.   Such a high attrition rate even amongst those that shone very brightly back then.  Not even sure how I survived that day, even had Patrik Antinous on my table for a couple of hours, and he was utterly terrifying at the time.

It is weird looking back at the live update and so many names have disappeared that I had long forgotten.  tillerman, Ash Hussain, and I remember playing a lot on kirderf and he seems to have disappeared not long after.

Funny how I remember it now, Andy Black was in my hotel and I was all "wow, Andy Black".  Can't imagine doing that now.

Haha, I was quite friendly with Kristian back when I was playing a lot ~2006

Pokerkong1 was his nickname, and Kris85 on Prima.

Another one who zoomed up from 50nl  to 40knl in hardly any time at all.

He was coming over to the Vic for a week, so that he, LuckyULSA, and another Norwegian lad could play the European Classic. He asked me if it was ok to transfer funds to me on Laddies, to save him cashing out and changing it up. Another good service they did 'highhand', where you could transfer money between players via support.

I didn't realise he was going to send me $10k, which the buyinl for all 3 of them. Luckily those were the days when Laddies were happy enough to let you draw whatever you wanted out, with a bit of notice.

I haven't spoken to him for a few years now, but he was still playing when I last spoke to him, although I'm not sure if he was still driving the Lambo from his website...

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #41189 on: February 12, 2015, 01:41:47 AM »

3rd
Ambjorn Haga     

I met this Norwegian guy at the battle of malta last year he claimed to be a big ladbrokes player in the day
Bizarrely works on a salmon farm now nice guy tho , first night there he won €5 k and packed up after losing a 3 k pot
Dunno if anybody knows him
Pages: 1 ... 2742 2743 2744 2745 [2746] 2747 2748 2749 2750 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: