blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2744 2745 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 2751 2752 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6333833 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #41205 on: February 12, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »

I had the privilege and pleasure to meet Eric Dalby when working for Betfair and in attendance at the WSOPE 2008 (?) where he made a run at the PLO (?) event.

What can I say but what a phenomenal man. I got on with him really rather well, and it was fantastic to chat to him on breaks. On the FT he made one play where he simply had to have it. I asked him on break, and with a conspiratorial wink he said "you mustn't tell them Ed, but I had nothing at all. I just knew he didn't either".

What a nice man.

Oh, and I've just remembered. I think he cashed for about £40k - he couldn't get a cab when he bust, so he and his friend took the night bus home.

EDIT: £85k!! http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=32266

Ahh, God bless Eric, used to own the PLO8 games on Ladbrokes.

First met him on a Ladbrokes cruise, & we shared tables in one event, He was scrupulously "correct" in all things, & very censorious towards mistakes by others or the dealer, I said to him "you seem a bit like a school Headmaster", & it turned out that had been his actual vocation in life.

I sat with him in a Live PLO8 Event at The Vic two or three years back, & Albert Sapiano was on the same table.

Well you know Albert, he can't pass any two in NLH, so imagine what a station he was in PLO8, he turned up at showdown with all sorts.

Eric's face was a perfect picture, looking at Albert as if he had gone out.

I respected him very much, on & off the table, but for balance, Eric could be, at times, a bit of a moany-woany sort. We can forgive him that, though, as he must be in his eighties now, & as we know, all old people are miserable sods. 

I do hope he's OK, not seen him for a goodly while.

Here's a bit of old & new, Eric & some random kid.

He played as "Lowball" on Laddies way back when.

I played quite a lot of PLO8 with him for a while and any table he was on was always full of action and had plenty of banter in the chatbox.

I'm not sure that he "owned" those games though I may be mistaken.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41206 on: February 12, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »

3rd
Ambjorn Haga     

I met this Norwegian guy at the battle of malta last year he claimed to be a big ladbrokes player in the day
Bizarrely works on a salmon farm now nice guy tho , first night there he won €5 k and packed up after losing a 3 k pot
Dunno if anybody knows him

'Ambi'

I remember him from Estonia, and the 2006 Laddies cruise. Stocky lad with a jet black ponytail.

Conor Tate always spoke very highly of him and his play.

What is Conor doing these days?

Most impressive guy, very bright indeed, had his finger in all sorts of poker & gaming pies as I recall.

Someone told me he had moved overseas - Canada? - but I've no idea if that was true.

Yeah, he's a very clever chap, and one of the nicest people I've met through poker. Think he only had his finger in the one poker pie, and his family business along with it. Printed money at mid/high stakes for years, too.

He moved from Manchester to Marbella, but didn't really like it much out there, and then moved on to Canada, which he loved.

I'll have to check with dad, because he spoke to him not long back, but nothing has changed, as far as I am aware.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #41207 on: February 12, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »

From today's Racing Post Tony on an interesting problem at Kempton racecourse.

''' There are 24 swans residing in and around the lake at the course, all of which enjoy royal protection and Clifford liaises closely with the Queen's chief swan marker David Barber as part of his wider duties'''

Don't you think Chief Swan marker to the Queen sounds like a nice way to make a living?

On my bucket list is poaching, preparing, roasting & eating of a swan. Just think it's wrong that all of a species is 'owned' by one person for the whole country. And they're just big white geese, and geese taste good!!

Can't ever remember having 'goose', so will have to ensure that I do so when I next see it on the menu.
Lidls occiaissionally have frozen goose crowns - ie just the breasts, They are great roasted - use the grease that comes out of them to roast the spuds in. Like  alighter roast beef - and makes great sandwiches from the leftovers.

Sounds great, and I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for it!

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41208 on: February 13, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »

congratulations on Viva Las Vegas

I know these things are tough to finalise, all downhill from here...

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41209 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:44 AM »

I had no input to it, but yes, quite a thing - 35 Vegas WSOP packages, which is quite something.

Meanwhile, I'm heading up to the UKPC shortly, & will be there every day for trhe duration, except this Sunday, when I am doing the TV show.

It's all happening Next Door.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41210 on: February 13, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »

I had no input to it, but yes, quite a thing - 35 Vegas WSOP packages, which is quite something.

Meanwhile, I'm heading up to the UKPC shortly, & will be there every day for trhe duration, except this Sunday, when I am doing the TV show.

35 packages is bonkers in today's market. Respec

30 side event packages too.

Bet you'll have some logistical nightmares with that one.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41211 on: February 13, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »

5 main event packages no? 35 in total including side events?

Confused by this. Thought it was illegal to advertise foreign gambling in the UK.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #41212 on: February 13, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »

Good luck with your Skypoker comp Tony.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #41213 on: February 13, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »

Confused by this. Thought it was illegal to advertise foreign gambling in the UK.

This is quite unbelievable really, I just read the announcement and expected it to be 5 packages max, when I saw 35 I nearly fell off the sofa, Great great news and a proper chunky amount of people going to benefit. Well done to all concerned.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #41214 on: February 13, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/17/contents

number 3

bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #41215 on: February 14, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »

Did you bring your allotment with you to Dtd last night ?

Looks like your cultivating is paying off  Wink

I didn't have a drink last night but I am sure I saw your double , even with the same attire including
matching scarf. Mind , he looked a few years younger , more Ralph's age probably.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #41216 on: February 14, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »

I've always said that Jamie was a very perceptive chap.

No pics of gramps' doppelganger?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #41217 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »

I've always said that Jamie was a very perceptive chap.

No pics of gramps' doppelganger?

I nearly asked the chap for a photo shoot with Tony , he was the spitting image .

Actually , has TK got any kids he doesn't know about ?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41218 on: February 14, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

Did you bring your allotment with you to Dtd last night ?
Looks like your cultivating is paying off  Wink

I didn't have a drink last night but I am sure I saw your double , even with the same attire including
matching scarf. Mind , he looked a few years younger , more Ralph's age probably.

You are in the right area, yes. I mainly use a dibbler this time of year, for sowing runner beans & swet peas.

Unfortunately, the evening was soured, as I fell out with Posh Alex.

I have a bit of a beard thing going on - VERY fetching, some might say I ooze sex appeal - but Alex - YOUNG Alex, who claims to have his posh little finger on the fashion pulse, thought it looked a bit poo.

Gascoigne Senior thought I looked sauve.

Good to see you Jim, & well done on qualifying, I gather you made it through, though I left moments before play ended. Well, several moments before. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:40:52 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #41219 on: February 14, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »

I do hope that this "beard thing" is blond a la Abel Xavier.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=abel+xavier+beard&biw=1024&bih=585&tbm=isch&tbo=u

Pages: 1 ... 2744 2745 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 2751 2752 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: