blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2920 2921 2922 2923 [2924] 2925 2926 2927 2928 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6333356 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #43845 on: December 09, 2015, 03:39:58 PM »

They are usually triple or even quadruple headed, with double bankers at the rear, & on occasion, paired booster locomotives in the middle.

Accepting that I may regret this question; how do they manage to get so many engines that are so far apart to work together?

Surely just the slightest difference in speed between any of the engine cars means they're acting against each other. Can't quite get my head around it for some reason.

If you, me and my grandson all push Tikay's car we get more push collectively.

But what if you and me push it whilst your grandson is at the front pulling it? That's what's happening with the train.

Assuming we push with more force than your grandson pulls we're effectively pushing him as well so some of our strength is being wasted.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #43846 on: December 09, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »

They are usually triple or even quadruple headed, with double bankers at the rear, & on occasion, paired booster locomotives in the middle.

Accepting that I may regret this question; how do they manage to get so many engines that are so far apart to work together?

Surely just the slightest difference in speed between any of the engine cars means they're acting against each other. Can't quite get my head around it for some reason.

If you, me and my grandson all push Tikay's car we get more push collectively.

But what if you and me push it whilst your grandson is at the front pulling it? That's what's happening with the train.

Assuming we push with more force than your grandson pulls we're effectively pushing him as well so some of our strength is being wasted.

I think we'd have you at the front.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43847 on: December 09, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »

Horses push a cart.

Cymru am byth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43848 on: December 09, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »

It's a WONDERFUL question Matthew, but I'm a little busy today.

So, for now.......

Alternatively, a push–pull train, especially a long one, may have a locomotive on both ends so that there is always one locomotive pushing and one locomotive pulling. In this case, caution must be used to make sure that the two locomotives do not put too much stress on the cars from uneven locomotives. It is usual to arrange matters so that the trailing locomotive supplies less power and that the locomotive at the front does more pulling than the locomotive at the rear does pushing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push%E2%80%93pull_train

Typically, a driver in the front locomotive, & his controls are "linked" to the rear locomotive so power, brakes etc are applied remotely in the trailing locomotive. 

You will have seen these in the UK, think of a typical Class 43 Service from Kings Cross or Paddington.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #43849 on: December 10, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »

Thought you might like this Tony.

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/david-fehertys-charmed-life-golfs-iconoclast-comes-clean-20151209

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43850 on: December 10, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »

Stop it Phil, stop it.

I'm flat to the boards with work - loving every moment right now - and I promised Longy & sonour I'd finish the Bushy ParkRun story, which is a bit time consuming, as I want to upload a bunch of photos.

I am trying to finish a blog I started 3 days ago, & my Bluff Column is due in tomorrow, too.

So I'm sorry, but no time to chat.

But.......
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:37:47 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43851 on: December 10, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »

What a wonderful piece that is.

You may well laugh, but I knew none of that stuff as to his previous addictions problems with drugs & alcohol, or of his bipolarity. (Is that a word?).

If you read this Diary from time to time, you know I have an odd affection for those that have somehow got to the other end of the drugs & alcohol tunnel, usually rock stars & the like. 

David is easily my favourite Golf commentator for regular (weekly) Golf Tourneys, we seem to share a belief that, from where we sit, nothing should be taken too seriously, & some of the commentators are a bit up their own arse. For Majors, of course, it has to be the likes of Alliss & Ken Brown, the latter is just perfect for good balance imo.

A genuinely lovely piece, & David gets elevated on my personal LIKE list. 

This was quite something, too.....

"What finally helped you get sober?

It was two things: My wife and Tom Watson. I was doing a TV thing in Canada with Jack Nicklaus and Tom, and at one point, Tom just put his hand over the camera and said, "You're not well, are you?" and I said, "No, I'm not." I asked him how he knew, and he said, "I can see it in your eyes." And I said, "What do you see?'" and he said, "My reflection.'"

And I didn't know that Tom had a problem at that point. Very few people did. He said, "You need to come with me when we're done here." And I'm trying to back out; we're on Prince Edward Island, and Tom's [lives in] Kansas City, so I said, "How am I going to get to Kansas City?" And I hear this voice behind me say, "I have a G5!" So I'm getting heckled by Jack Nicklaus, who sent me there with his G5, and I went with Tom and he looked after me for 2 or 3 days and I've been sober ever since."

Stunning stuff.

I never even knew Tom Watson had such issues.

What a wonderful game, & pursuit, golf is, it somehow has players that are a class above most sportspeople. Very little cheating in golf, especially compared to Football, Cycling & Athletics, these days. A bit of drug use here & there, yes, but generally, they are a fine bunch.

Anyway, thank you for that, really enjoyable read.

How is Conor (or is it Connor, God, I always forget) these days?

I was thinking about the possibilities of Vegas next year recently, & I cast my mind back to 2005. You won't se many odder THM's than this one.....

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=46606

By the bye, Thewy is working now - got a proper job & everything. He recognized that the poker fire in his belly was not burning quite so brightly, & that the game was starting to pass him by.

I've met some wonderful sorts in poker, I really have.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:39:34 PM by tikay » Logged

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43852 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »

because you need a distraction

heard about this?

"London to LA in three hours? Meet the 1350mph private jet

Airbus plans aircraft that can fly at twice the speed of Concorde"

Click to see full-size image.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/london-la-three-hours-meet-1350mph-private-jet

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #43853 on: December 13, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »

You may well laugh, but I knew none of that stuff as to his previous addictions problems with drugs & alcohol, or of his bipolarity. (Is that a word?).

If you read this Diary from time to time, you know I have an odd affection for those that have somehow got to the other end of the drugs & alcohol tunnel, usually rock stars & the like. 

David is easily my favourite Golf commentator for regular (weekly) Golf Tourneys, we seem to share a belief that, from where we sit, nothing should be taken too seriously, & some of the commentators are a bit up their own arse. For Majors, of course, it has to be the likes of Alliss & Ken Brown, the latter is just perfect for good balance imo.

It was two things: My wife and Tom Watson. I was doing a TV thing in Canada with Jack Nicklaus and Tom, and at one point, Tom just put his hand over the camera and said, "You're not well, are you?" and I said, "No, I'm not." I asked him how he knew, and he said, "I can see it in your eyes." And I said, "What do you see?'" and he said, "My reflection.'"

And I didn't know that Tom had a problem at that point. Very few people did. He said, "You need to come with me when we're done here." And I'm trying to back out; we're on Prince Edward Island, and Tom's [lives in] Kansas City, so I said, "How am I going to get to Kansas City?" And I hear this voice behind me say, "I have a G5!" So I'm getting heckled by Jack Nicklaus, who sent me there with his G5, and I went with Tom and he looked after me for 2 or 3 days and I've been sober ever since."

Stunning stuff.

What a wonderful game, & pursuit, golf is, it somehow has players that are a class above most sportspeople. Very little cheating in golf, especially compared to Football, Cycling & Athletics, these days. A bit of drug use here & there, yes, but generally, they are a fine bunch.

I was thinking about the possibilities of Vegas next year recently, & I cast my mind back to 2005. You won't se many odder THM's than this one.....

By the bye, Thewy is working now - got a proper job & everything. He recognized that the poker fire in his belly was not burning quite so brightly, & that the game was starting to pass him by.

Hi mate,

Well Julian certainly earned  his place as one of the best players and I'm pleased he has decided walk away when he wanted to. That result by John is still one of the best sporting events I've ever attended as a supporter. Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'

I do remember Tom winning a comp late in his PGA Tour career where he mentioned his putting yips had got better because he had stopped drinking whiskey and think that was his first 'coming out' and admitting he had a problem. Sounds like Feherty has had quite a time one way or another doesn't it.

Connor is good thanks, had some semi good news this week and he's in good form at the mo.

Hope you and Gill are having a great time and have good Christmas bud.

x

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #43854 on: December 15, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »

Train related question good sir, my sisters are thinking of going to Switzerland to watch the Gymastics European Championships and one of them has suggested getting a train there. Any views on this? Would you recommend it?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43855 on: December 16, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

because you need a distraction

heard about this?

"London to LA in three hours? Meet the 1350mph private jet

Airbus plans aircraft that can fly at twice the speed of Concorde"

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/london-la-three-hours-meet-1350mph-private-jet

Thanks Rich, but of course it's tosh.

Reminds me of the sort of stuff which used to feature in "Eagle" every week in the 50's.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43856 on: December 16, 2015, 05:49:29 PM »

Stunning stuff.

Hi mate,

Well Julian certainly earned  his place as one of the best players and I'm pleased he has decided walk away when he wanted to. That result by John is still one of the best sporting events I've ever attended as a supporter. Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'

I do remember Tom winning a comp late in his PGA Tour career where he mentioned his putting yips had got better because he had stopped drinking whiskey and think that was his first 'coming out' and admitting he had a problem. Sounds like Feherty has had quite a time one way or another doesn't it.

Connor is good thanks, had some semi good news this week and he's in good form at the mo.

x

Thanks Phil.

"......Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'...."

I vividly recall one moment that year, the Final was held at Binions, & in Binions there is that escalator that takes you to the upstairs area.

And as the Final proceeded, suddenly the guys in what looked like Sheriff's uniforms, each carrying a rifle of some sort, were guarding two Binions employees who were carrying a cardboard box, inside of which was the winners prize money in bundles of $100 bills. Scared the life out of me.

I just never knew any of the Feharty or Watson drinking stuff. Strange that I already admired them both anyway, especially Tom Watson. He should be given a Sir-hood or somesuch.

Good to hear about Connor. I've just found a way to remember how to spell his name - the (ex) racehorse was one "n", & Master Quayle is the opposite. It's similar to the method I use to remember which Boatman brother is which - Barny wears Bins, so Bins = Barny. (B & B).  Good to know I've got the senility under control.

Gill was down at the weekend, ran another 10k thing, & I've not got round to writing about the one before yet. I will, once I sort my time management issues. I often wish I did not need to sleep every night, it seems such a waste of time, & if I had 24/7, I could get caught up. Very busy Next Door at the mo, never enjoyed it so much.

Gill is big into Xmas. Please don't ask if we have a Christmas tree. I mean, for sure, if she asked, I'd put my foot down, like a boss. No way, not in my front room. Absolutely not.

Have a great Christmas, Phil, & stay in touch.

x   

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #43857 on: December 16, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »

Thought you might appreciate some good British engineering at it's best.

These 4 beauties are RR BR725 being assembled ready for testing. Unfortunately I couldn't get any closer with my phone without the risk of getting kicked out of the facility.

Ah! The element of surprise
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #43858 on: December 16, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »

Stunning stuff.

Hi mate,

x

Thanks Phil.

"......Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'...."

I vividly recall one moment that year, the Final was held at Binions, & in Binions there is that escalator that takes you to the upstairs area.

And as the Final proceeded, suddenly the guys in what looked like Sheriff's uniforms, each carrying a rifle of some sort, were guarding two Binions employees who were carrying a cardboard box, inside of which was the winners prize money in bundles of $100 bills. Scared the life out of me.

I just never knew any of the Feharty or Watson drinking stuff. Strange that I already admired them both anyway, especially Tom Watson. He should be given a Sir-hood or somesuch.

Good to hear about Connor. I've just found a way to remember how to spell his name - the (ex) racehorse was one "n", & Master Quayle is the opposite. It's similar to the method I use to remember which Boatman brother is which - Barny wears Bins, so Bins = Barny. (B & B).  Good to know I've got the senility under control.

Gill was down at the weekend, ran another 10k thing, & I've not got round to writing about the one before yet. I will, once I sort my time management issues. I often wish I did not need to sleep every night, it seems such a waste of time, & if I had 24/7, I could get caught up. Very busy Next Door at the mo, never enjoyed it so much.

Gill is big into Xmas. Please don't ask if we have a Christmas tree. I mean, for sure, if she asked, I'd put my foot down, like a boss. No way, not in my front room. Absolutely not.

Have a great Christmas, Phil, & stay in touch.

x   

Really looking forward to seeing a Christmas tree in your home.

Have a lovely Christmas both of you.  thumbs up

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43859 on: December 16, 2015, 06:01:12 PM »

Train related question good sir, my sisters are thinking of going to Switzerland to watch the Gymastics European Championships and one of them has suggested getting a train there. Any views on this? Would you recommend it?

Yo Matt.

When I saw your name, I immediately thought you were going to remind me again about that Winter Giveaway faux pas, "here's £2,000, but it's a secret how we share it" sorta thing. Sometimes I just have to suck it up, you know. 

Train to Switzerland? Highly recommended. Eurostar to Paris, then get the Paris Milan via SNCF to Geneva.

Trains in Switzerland are nothing short of brerathtakingly good. Modern stock, punctual, reliable, clean. We did a bit of it when we visited Geneva earlier this year - wonderful memories. I'll try & find some of the photos once things calm down a bit.

Why are your sisters (how many have you got) going all tat way to watch Gymnastics - are they gymnasts themselves?

How old are they? Names? Height, too, I SO want them to both be taller than you.

God to see your name in the UKPC lobby, see you in February. I wrote to Natterley & Adam earlier this week, as I've not seen either post anything (with one sad exception) since Punta Cana, but was pleased to hear back that both are hale & hearty.

Pages: 1 ... 2920 2921 2922 2923 [2924] 2925 2926 2927 2928 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: