blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2921 2922 2923 2924 [2925] 2926 2927 2928 2929 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332209 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43860 on: December 16, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

What a wonderful piece that is.

You may well laugh, but I knew none of that stuff as to his previous addictions problems with drugs & alcohol, or of his bipolarity. (Is that a word?).

If you read this Diary from time to time, you know I have an odd affection for those that have somehow got to the other end of the drugs & alcohol tunnel, usually rock stars & the like. 

David is easily my favourite Golf commentator for regular (weekly) Golf Tourneys, we seem to share a belief that, from where we sit, nothing should be taken too seriously, & some of the commentators are a bit up their own arse. For Majors, of course, it has to be the likes of Alliss & Ken Brown, the latter is just perfect for good balance imo.

A genuinely lovely piece, & David gets elevated on my personal LIKE list. 

This was quite something, too.....

"What finally helped you get sober?

It was two things: My wife and Tom Watson. I was doing a TV thing in Canada with Jack Nicklaus and Tom, and at one point, Tom just put his hand over the camera and said, "You're not well, are you?" and I said, "No, I'm not." I asked him how he knew, and he said, "I can see it in your eyes." And I said, "What do you see?'" and he said, "My reflection.'"

And I didn't know that Tom had a problem at that point. Very few people did. He said, "You need to come with me when we're done here." And I'm trying to back out; we're on Prince Edward Island, and Tom's [lives in] Kansas City, so I said, "How am I going to get to Kansas City?" And I hear this voice behind me say, "I have a G5!" So I'm getting heckled by Jack Nicklaus, who sent me there with his G5, and I went with Tom and he looked after me for 2 or 3 days and I've been sober ever since."

Stunning stuff.

I never even knew Tom Watson had such issues.

What a wonderful game, & pursuit, golf is, it somehow has players that are a class above most sportspeople. Very little cheating in golf, especially compared to Football, Cycling & Athletics, these days. A bit of drug use here & there, yes, but generally, they are a fine bunch.

Anyway, thank you for that, really enjoyable read.

How is Conor (or is it Connor, God, I always forget) these days?

I was thinking about the possibilities of Vegas next year recently, & I cast my mind back to 2005. You won't se many odder THM's than this one.....

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=46606

By the bye, Thewy is working now - got a proper job & everything. He recognized that the poker fire in his belly was not burning quite so brightly, & that the game was starting to pass him by.

I've met some wonderful sorts in poker, I really have.

Hi mate,

Well Julian certainly earned  his place as one of the best players and I'm pleased he has decided walk away when he wanted to. That result by John is still one of the best sporting events I've ever attended as a supporter. Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'

I do remember Tom winning a comp late in his PGA Tour career where he mentioned his putting yips had got better because he had stopped drinking whiskey and think that was his first 'coming out' and admitting he had a problem. Sounds like Feherty has had quite a time one way or another doesn't it.

Connor is good thanks, had some semi good news this week and he's in good form at the mo.

Hope you and Gill are having a great time and have good Christmas bud.

x

Thanks Phil.

"......Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'...."

I vividly recall one moment that year, the Final was held at Binions, & in Binions there is that escalator that takes you to the upstairs area.

And as the Final proceeded, suddenly the guys in what looked like Sheriff's uniforms, each carrying a rifle of some sort, were guarding two Binions employees who were carrying a cardboard box, inside of which was the winners prize money in bundles of $100 bills. Scared the life out of me.

I just never knew any of the Feharty or Watson drinking stuff. Strange that I already admired them both anyway, especially Tom Watson. He should be given a Sir-hood or somesuch.

Good to hear about Connor. I've just found a way to remember how to spell his name - the (ex) racehorse was one "n", & Master Quayle is the opposite. It's similar to the method I use to remember which Boatman brother is which - Barny wears Bins, so Bins = Barny. (B & B).  Good to know I've got the senility under control.

Gill was down at the weekend, ran another 10k thing, & I've not got round to writing about the one before yet. I will, once I sort my time management issues. I often wish I did not need to sleep every night, it seems such a waste of time, & if I had 24/7, I could get caught up. Very busy Next Door at the mo, never enjoyed it so much.

Gill is big into Xmas. Please don't ask if we have a Christmas tree. I mean, for sure, if she asked, I'd put my foot down, like a boss. No way, not in my front room. Absolutely not.

Have a great Christmas, Phil, & stay in touch.

x   

Really looking forward to seeing a Christmas tree in your home.

Have a lovely Christmas both of you.  thumbs up

Err, what part of "no way" & "absolutely not" did you not understand, Kev?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43861 on: December 16, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »

Gotta go, & will reply to Uncle Greek tomorrow. Love RR stuff, me.

But first......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #43862 on: December 16, 2015, 06:07:01 PM »

What a wonderful piece that is.

You may well laugh, but I knew none of that stuff as to his previous addictions problems with drugs & alcohol, or of his bipolarity. (Is that a word?).

If you read this Diary from time to time, you know I have an odd affection for those that have somehow got to the other end of the drugs & alcohol tunnel, usually rock stars & the like.  

David is easily my favourite Golf commentator for regular (weekly) Golf Tourneys, we seem to share a belief that, from where we sit, nothing should be taken too seriously, & some of the commentators are a bit up their own arse. For Majors, of course, it has to be the likes of Alliss & Ken Brown, the latter is just perfect for good balance imo.

A genuinely lovely piece, & David gets elevated on my personal LIKE list.  

This was quite something, too.....

"What finally helped you get sober?

It was two things: My wife and Tom Watson. I was doing a TV thing in Canada with Jack Nicklaus and Tom, and at one point, Tom just put his hand over the camera and said, "You're not well, are you?" and I said, "No, I'm not." I asked him how he knew, and he said, "I can see it in your eyes." And I said, "What do you see?'" and he said, "My reflection.'"

And I didn't know that Tom had a problem at that point. Very few people did. He said, "You need to come with me when we're done here." And I'm trying to back out; we're on Prince Edward Island, and Tom's [lives in] Kansas City, so I said, "How am I going to get to Kansas City?" And I hear this voice behind me say, "I have a G5!" So I'm getting heckled by Jack Nicklaus, who sent me there with his G5, and I went with Tom and he looked after me for 2 or 3 days and I've been sober ever since."

Stunning stuff.

I never even knew Tom Watson had such issues.

What a wonderful game, & pursuit, golf is, it somehow has players that are a class above most sportspeople. Very little cheating in golf, especially compared to Football, Cycling & Athletics, these days. A bit of drug use here & there, yes, but generally, they are a fine bunch.

Anyway, thank you for that, really enjoyable read.

How is Conor (or is it Connor, God, I always forget) these days?

I was thinking about the possibilities of Vegas next year recently, & I cast my mind back to 2005. You won't se many odder THM's than this one.....

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=46606

By the bye, Thewy is working now - got a proper job & everything. He recognized that the poker fire in his belly was not burning quite so brightly, & that the game was starting to pass him by.

I've met some wonderful sorts in poker, I really have.

Hi mate,

Well Julian certainly earned  his place as one of the best players and I'm pleased he has decided walk away when he wanted to. That result by John is still one of the best sporting events I've ever attended as a supporter. Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'

I do remember Tom winning a comp late in his PGA Tour career where he mentioned his putting yips had got better because he had stopped drinking whiskey and think that was his first 'coming out' and admitting he had a problem. Sounds like Feherty has had quite a time one way or another doesn't it.

Connor is good thanks, had some semi good news this week and he's in good form at the mo.

Hope you and Gill are having a great time and have good Christmas bud.

x

Thanks Phil.

"......Tho deffo the only one where the ref announced heads up that 'anyone around the table that isn't carrying a share of the $12 million or a shotgun needs to take a step back now'...."

I vividly recall one moment that year, the Final was held at Binions, & in Binions there is that escalator that takes you to the upstairs area.

And as the Final proceeded, suddenly the guys in what looked like Sheriff's uniforms, each carrying a rifle of some sort, were guarding two Binions employees who were carrying a cardboard box, inside of which was the winners prize money in bundles of $100 bills. Scared the life out of me.

I just never knew any of the Feharty or Watson drinking stuff. Strange that I already admired them both anyway, especially Tom Watson. He should be given a Sir-hood or somesuch.

Good to hear about Connor. I've just found a way to remember how to spell his name - the (ex) racehorse was one "n", & Master Quayle is the opposite. It's similar to the method I use to remember which Boatman brother is which - Barny wears Bins, so Bins = Barny. (B & B).  Good to know I've got the senility under control.

Gill was down at the weekend, ran another 10k thing, & I've not got round to writing about the one before yet. I will, once I sort my time management issues. I often wish I did not need to sleep every night, it seems such a waste of time, & if I had 24/7, I could get caught up. Very busy Next Door at the mo, never enjoyed it so much.

Gill is big into Xmas. Please don't ask if we have a Christmas tree. I mean, for sure, if she asked, I'd put my foot down, like a boss. No way, not in my front room. Absolutely not.

Have a great Christmas, Phil, & stay in touch.

x  

Really looking forward to seeing a Christmas tree in your home.

Have a lovely Christmas both of you.  thumbs up

Err, what part of "no way" & "absolutely not" did you not understand, Kev?

Ok almost believe you now you've used inverted commas.  

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43863 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

Look away now if you don't like upsetting stuff. This is not nice.

The following was posted Next Door this week. Not by the sufferer, himself, someone else C & P it from the chap's Facebook page.

Just a regular player Next Door, plays £5 & £10 sort of stuff, quite a good sports bettor too. Then this came, right out of the blue. 

If this does not make you well up - minimum - you are a hard case.

Steve Ball
December 4 at 8:28am · Shrewsbury · Yesterday was not a good day. After extensive tests, it seems that my cancer has now spread and the tumour has grown and is no longer operable.

I see the oncologist next week but the prognosis isn't good. I can receive chemotherapy to reduce the pain and help me to eat but the chances of the cancer going away are slim, bordering on non-existent. This is a sad turnaround from the position before yesterday where the experts were optimistic.

To my poker buddies, we got all the chips in with AA against AK but the flop came KK2. We now have just two cards to hit that single Ace.

I don't know how long I have got. It might be days, it might be weeks, it might be months but however long it is, I intend to live each day to the full and try to enjoy it. I will treat every day left as a bonus and try to fill it with the things that I and my closest loved ones enjoy the most.

I probably won't have another holiday abroad. I probably won't see Sheffield Wednesday win anything (not many will). I probably won't feel the sun on my back again.

Every theatre trip, football match, poker tournament, day out might be my last so I am going to enjoy it.

Obviously my pain will soon be over but it will go on for those closest to me, in particular Helen Ball, Henrietta Ball & Max Ball. Our time together now will be so much more precious and I can put my affairs in order but for them, the pain will continue for some time.

I am grateful to have had such a great life, to have met so many good people along the way and to have a fantastic family to support each other through this period.

Maybe I have completed my primary job in life by helping to give Henri & Max a great start in life and I am so proud of the young adults that they have become. Sadly, I won't get the opportunity to grow old with Helen and watch the kids start their families. I have little doubt that they will both have many happy times ahead.

As time is precious then I cannot say goodbye to everyone individually. Apologies but I will read every post on my facebook threads for as long as I am able and thank you for the memories.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a19d98621-1a9c-489d-8fe8-626a31e300bb

On that sobering note, good night, see you tomorrow.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43864 on: December 16, 2015, 06:18:54 PM »

The following was posted Next Door this week. Not by the sufferer, himself, someone else C & P it from the chap's Facebook page.

Just a regular player Next Door, plays £5 & £10 sort of stuff, quite a good sports bettor too. Then this came, right out of the blue. 

Steve Ball
December 4 at 8:28am · Shrewsbury · Yesterday was not a good day. After extensive tests, it seems that my cancer has now spread and the tumour has grown and is no longer operable.

I see the oncologist next week but the prognosis isn't good. I can receive chemotherapy to reduce the pain and help me to eat but the chances of the cancer going away are slim, bordering on non-existent. This is a sad turnaround from the position before yesterday where the experts were optimistic.

To my poker buddies, we got all the chips in with AA against AK but the flop came KK2. We now have just two cards to hit that single Ace.

I don't know how long I have got. It might be days, it might be weeks, it might be months but however long it is, I intend to live each day to the full and try to enjoy it. I will treat every day left as a bonus and try to fill it with the things that I and my closest loved ones enjoy the most.

I probably won't have another holiday abroad. I probably won't see Sheffield Wednesday win anything (not many will). I probably won't feel the sun on my back again.

Every theatre trip, football match, poker tournament, day out might be my last so I am going to enjoy it.

Obviously my pain will soon be over but it will go on for those closest to me, in particular Helen Ball, Henrietta Ball & Max Ball. Our time together now will be so much more precious and I can put my affairs in order but for them, the pain will continue for some time.

I am grateful to have had such a great life, to have met so many good people along the way and to have a fantastic family to support each other through this period.

Maybe I have completed my primary job in life by helping to give Henri & Max a great start in life and I am so proud of the young adults that they have become. Sadly, I won't get the opportunity to grow old with Helen and watch the kids start their families. I have little doubt that they will both have many happy times ahead.

As time is precious then I cannot say goodbye to everyone individually. Apologies but I will read every post on my facebook threads for as long as I am able and thank you for the memories.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a19d98621-1a9c-489d-8fe8-626a31e300bb

Steve is a very nice guy. stalwart of several poker groups and big sheffield wednesday fan. He won a big comp at the Broadway that we updated on here a few years ago

Very sad news indeed.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #43865 on: December 16, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »

Steve Ball

Played with him on many occasions, a true Gent. Such very sad news.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43866 on: December 16, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »

I genuinely never realised he was so well-known. I honestly can't recall meeting him, I just know him Next Door as "Ice_Tiger".

I'm so impressed by his dignity & courage. If I can be half the man when Mr GR comes a knocking, I'll be very surprised. 

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43867 on: December 16, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »

Revealed: Britain's busiest and quietest stations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35105105

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #43868 on: December 17, 2015, 11:57:09 AM »

The bank note related question next door made me think of this.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/dec/23/willwoodward

Two thirds of the counterfeit currency from 93 to 98 was produced at our old house! We bought it from Mr Mainstone after he had been caught and was at her Majesty's pleasure!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43869 on: December 17, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »

Two thirds of the counterfeit currency from 93 to 98 was produced at our old house! We bought it from Mr Mainstone after he had been caught and was at her Majesty's pleasure!

Wow, what an incredible story that is. Love that sort of stuff. Geezer flogging a £50 note for £7.50 ought to raise a bit of suspicion, I'd say.

And you were the next owner of that house? Awesome.

You still live in the same area - Upminster? Never realised quite how posh you were. If you do, you can't be short. Of money, that is.

Is the Family Business accountancy, or are you part of the Accountancy Team of a business that does something else? Pardon me being nosy, I love all this stuff. Don't answer if it's personal, & feel free to keep it short.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:34:01 PM by tikay » Logged

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #43870 on: December 17, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »

Check the attic imo

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43871 on: December 17, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »

I'm flat to the boards Next Door, so I should not be wasting time here, but as to counterfeit notes, a quick story.

When I was a G Luton regular there was a kid down there using counterfeit money, & if you saw him play, you'd soon realise it could not be real money.

Anyway, he went to the Cash Desk one night, & was suddenly surrounded by police, & they carted him off, shouting & hollering.

I believe he later went down for a decent stretch, forever protesting his innocence, "not me guv" sorta thing. 

We don't want any monkey business, right?

Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #43872 on: December 18, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »

Wow, what an incredible story that is. Love that sort of stuff. Geezer flogging a £50 note for £7.50 ought to raise a bit of suspicion, I'd say.

And you were the next owner of that house? Awesome.

You still live in the same area - Upminster? Never realised quite how posh you were. If you do, you can't be short. Of money, that is.

Is the Family Business accountancy, or are you part of the Accountancy Team of a business that does something else? Pardon me being nosy, I love all this stuff. Don't answer if it's personal, & feel free to keep it short.

Still in Upminster, have lived here all my life.

I am the accountant for the companies, joinery probably covers all of what we do. My dad started up a company doing prison furniture about 10 years ago and the production side of things was outsourced. Mum enjoys looking on rightmove (other sites are available!) and kept looking out for a Georgian rectory. Instead of a georgian rectory about 6 years ago she found a site with 20,000 square feet of production space on a 30 acre site. We took over a kitchen and bedroom furniture company as part of the move which the previous owner had run from the site for about 30 years.

dakky

View Profile
« Reply #43873 on: December 18, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35061511[/url

One for you TK
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #43874 on: December 22, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »

Train related question good sir, my sisters are thinking of going to Switzerland to watch the Gymastics European Championships and one of them has suggested getting a train there. Any views on this? Would you recommend it?

Yo Matt.

When I saw your name, I immediately thought you were going to remind me again about that Winter Giveaway faux pas, "here's £2,000, but it's a secret how we share it" sorta thing. Sometimes I just have to suck it up, you know. 

Train to Switzerland? Highly recommended. Eurostar to Paris, then get the Paris Milan via SNCF to Geneva.

Trains in Switzerland are nothing short of brerathtakingly good. Modern stock, punctual, reliable, clean. We did a bit of it when we visited Geneva earlier this year - wonderful memories. I'll try & find some of the photos once things calm down a bit.

Why are your sisters (how many have you got) going all tat way to watch Gymnastics - are they gymnasts themselves?

How old are they? Names? Height, too, I SO want them to both be taller than you.

God to see your name in the UKPC lobby, see you in February. I wrote to Natterley & Adam earlier this week, as I've not seen either post anything (with one sad exception) since Punta Cana, but was pleased to hear back that both are hale & hearty.

I have 2 older sisters, Catherine is the eldest and is turning 40 on New Years Eve and she is taller than me. My other sister is Helen, 37 and shorter than me.... if that is even possible!

We have all been involved in gymnastics since we were young. My sisters moved to the coaching side of things as teenagers and Catherine runs her own gymnastics club now. I used to compete in national competitions (never quite good enough to get in the national squad) believe it or not.

UKPC should be good, looking forward to it!

Pages: 1 ... 2921 2922 2923 2924 [2925] 2926 2927 2928 2929 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: