blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3131 3132 3133 3134 [3135] 3136 3137 3138 3139 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6331324 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47010 on: September 21, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »

Booked the Norway tickets yet?

Did you know Adam Owen was 3rd in EPT Barcelona.  I think you were a fan.  I only found out yesterday.  Hard yo get fast news in this day and age it seems.

How did the new highroller go?  I was too knacked to play it.  I suspect it will never be as prestigious as the Monday £30 bounty hunter.  

Pretty well, I'd say.

For those few who do not follow what happens Next Door, a new MTT schedule is about to be introduced, & last night they rolled out the first new MTT - the £220 Sky High Roller. It had an £8,000 Guarantee, with a £220 entry, so needed 40 runners.  I'm guessing there is barely a single WCOOP event with a Guarantee so small, but hey, each to their own, this is what we do, & I have no embarrassment about the relative sizes.  

The word from the player base was we would not have the liquidity or traffic to support this on a Tuesday, but Sky Poker ain't as daft as some think & we were confident of getting close. They did a lot of Comms, & I did a lot of profile raising noise, & I gave away about £400 worth of free seats to the event & satellites in a Free to Enter Fun Forum Comp, which got 135 entries, but more importantly, it made a lot of noise & raised awareness.

With a good satellite tree, we were confident of around 50 runners. It got......76, so it beat the Guarantee by 90%. oioi  

It's a bit ridic that at my age I still get excited by work stuff, but I just do.

So I railed the entire event, & finished my poker session early to do so, staying up & taking notes & railing the players - most of whom I know of course -  until it ended at 0130. There was not a bit of bad blood on the rail all Tourney, either, none of this "you are a fish" nonsense. What a dreadful way that is to describe lesser players.  

Then I got up at 0530 & wrote a 1,000 word Blog to capitalise on the moment, & I sent the Blog to the office before 0900 this morning.  

So all in all, yeah, went pretty well. And here's the thing. I'm just the water carrier Next Door, & a lowly one at that, but I like to pay my way & do every last little thing I can to help with these things. And I love it. And this morning I'm bursting with pride at a job well done by all involved, including yours truly.

My contract got renewed last month, but, as per usual, just 6 months. I was summoned up to Leeds last week, & I get a bit paranoid that Leeds visits are going to be "Well Tony, it's been nice working with you, but...." affairs. A few of recent my e-Mails did not get replies, & I was seeing suspicious trends that were not really there. I sent some stuff up which got totally ignored, too, so that added to my mental discomfort. I don't mind them saying "gg Tony", after all I'm getting on a bit, but it's the uncertainty that nags away at the mind. And, I suppose, ego.  

As it turned out, I had a great day, was given time by all the SS, even got taken to dinner - or is iust lunch? - by one VSS.

I also got introduced in embarrassingly nice fashion to a VVSS by a VVVSS, & I had a coffee & a private meet with Sam, my immediate Line Manager, who is a VLS.

So I came home on the train happy as Larry.

I've been invited back up to Leeds tomorrow for another Meet with some outside people & some VSS's, so that's good, too. Or maybe it's just a bluff & the Dear Tony speech is gonna be rolled out?

No matter, it'll be what it'll be, & I get to go on a Big Train again. How good is life?    

I must have missed that thread.

Wink

Maybe you were too busy drooling over some football team winning 3-0 away.

Exciting times under Mr Klopp, eh?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47011 on: September 21, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »

Nicely swerved

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47012 on: September 21, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »

Nicely swerved

Yup, he can bend it like Beckham, apparently.

Touché.

More seriously, I can't do promo stuff here for Next Door, or I would, but it would not be fair on blonde's sponsor. But I give away maybe £10k worth of freebies every year Next Door, and they pretty much trust me to spend that money sensibly. Might do a similar one this weekend, too. Smiley

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47013 on: September 21, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

Nicely swerved

Touché.

More seriously, I can't do promo stuff here for Next Door, or I would, but it would not be fair on blonde's sponsor. But I give away maybe £10k worth of freebies every year Next Door, and they pretty much trust me to spend that money sensibly. Might do a similar one this weekend, too. Smiley

Free seat to all winners of main events on Sky this week would be a good promo.  Back date to Monday obv. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47014 on: September 21, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »

Nicely swerved

Touché.

Free seat to all winners of main events on Sky this week would be a good promo.  Back date to Monday obv. 

Ha, NOW I get the reference to Monday. Whooshed me proper good, sorry. Been so busy this week, I had not checked.

Never realised, wp you.

£1,600 ish, very nice.

The runner up is pretty handy, too, he has a 39% ROI over 13,000 games, which is pretty tidy. Whereas your 79% ROI is only over 953 games. Not bad, I suppose........

Folks seem to love those Bounty Hunters, can't get enough of them. Might be some bigger ones coming soon. UKOPS is on the horizon, as well. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47015 on: September 21, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »

Nicely swerved

Touché.

Ha, NOW I get the reference to Monday. Whooshed me proper good, sorry. Been so busy this week, I had not checked.

Never realised, wp you.

£1,600 ish, very nice.

The runner up is pretty handy, too, he has a 39% ROI over 13,000 games, which is pretty tidy. Whereas your 79% ROI is only over 953 games. Not bad, I suppose........

Folks seem to love those Bounty Hunters, can't get enough of them. Might be some bigger ones coming soon. UKOPS is on the horizon, as well. 

Most welcome it was too, even if it was one of those days where I didn't enter the mini.

Monday is the big O8 night on stars including a 320 plo8 comp.  I managed to do the usual 3 entries and misclick regged the 320 hold em too.  Losing 4x$320 was a new record for an event which limits you to 3 entries.

Anyway I had a table space free on my screen and thought I'd play the bounty hunter on sky for a change.  Ran pretty golden too.  Winning poker isn't about getting it in good, it is about getting it in bad over and over again (c) Dave Shallow maybe 5 years ago.   

If only I could reproduce such an ROI on stars.   Suspect the stars one is more accurate of the underlying situation. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47016 on: September 21, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »

How come people like Robbie don't buy their houses somewhere like Cheadle? They would get a much better place for their money and have enough left over for one of those pies every other week.

Wants to live near The Queen, I guess. Cheadle is not exactly where it all happens, is it?

I often fantasise about coming into serious money, enough to buy any house, any where, just Gill & me.

Pretty sure I'd buy two, one in America & we'd spend 6 months of the year over there, just driving State to State, & doing Amtrak trips, then a little cottage in the English countryside - or West Highlands of Scotland -  with a bit of land where we could keep ducks, horses, a goat or two, & some chickens. Gill talks to animal like a little girl - "hello horsey, here, have a carrot" sort of thing. Sounds daft, & I suppose it is, but I adore her for it.   

It's good to dream, don't you think?

Anyway, blame Doobs for all that waffle, he did ask. 

I hope you come into a lot of money too, then you can employ me to look after the livestock while you're gallivanting in America.

Speaking of Sky satellites, I play the occasional one, usually for the £110 Super Roller and I have a great strike rate in them, probably getting a seat something like 7/10 times.

As for the Roller itself though, I just can't cash in the bloody thing. It's a great comp for the likes of me too, long levels, good structure, smallish fields.... 

I know what my problem is too, I can't put my big hands down. I can do it in other tourneys, but for some reason, not in that one.

The older I get, the better I was.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #47017 on: September 21, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »

How come people like Robbie don't buy their houses somewhere like Cheadle? They would get a much better place for their money and have enough left over for one of those pies every other week.

£10mil:

Surrounded by 6000 acre sporting estate. The chance to do a McNab on your own land....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:20:09 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #47018 on: September 22, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

When I was a kid, Holland Park was almost a slum, with the racketeer Peter Rachman owning much of the property & exploiting the tenants something shocking.

I've not been to Holland Park since, so Saturday was a bit of a shock, it's proper posh now, & those grand old houses go for millions.

A 5 bed maisonette in nearby Duchess of Bedford Walk will set you back £26 million (not a typo), & a flat in Holland Park Mews comes in at around £6 mill minimum.

It's staggering, & I am fascinated who owns them & where such wealth comes from.

Oligarchs & the like I suppose.

Guess the most famous local resident is Robbie Williams - class act, see? - who purchased Woodland House from the late Michael Winner for about £20 milly. Loose change to Robbie.  

Led Zep's Jimmy Page lives next door, or nearly so, & the 2 of them are having a legal tiff over modernising their little homes.

I spent all my life rushing around & not noticing these things, & it pisses me off a bit that only now do I seem to appreciate them.

Anyway, this is Robbie's place, showing what you can get for £20 milly if you have an eye for a bargain.  

An old Colombian mate of mine who I went to school with owns a big F off house in Holland Park. He imports 'coffee' to the uk allegedly, not joking  Cheesy
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #47019 on: September 22, 2016, 12:13:54 AM »

Nicely swerved

Touché.

Seamless, and never goes a bit awry.

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #47020 on: September 22, 2016, 12:30:46 AM »

When I was a kid, Holland Park was almost a slum, with the racketeer Peter Rachman owning much of the property & exploiting the tenants something shocking.

I've not been to Holland Park since, so Saturday was a bit of a shock, it's proper posh now, & those grand old houses go for millions.

A 5 bed maisonette in nearby Duchess of Bedford Walk will set you back £26 million (not a typo), & a flat in Holland Park Mews comes in at around £6 mill minimum.

It's staggering, & I am fascinated who owns them & where such wealth comes from.

Oligarchs & the like I suppose.

Guess the most famous local resident is Robbie Williams - class act, see? - who purchased Woodland House from the late Michael Winner for about £20 milly. Loose change to Robbie.  

Led Zep's Jimmy Page lives next door, or nearly so, & the 2 of them are having a legal tiff over modernising their little homes.

I spent all my life rushing around & not noticing these things, & it pisses me off a bit that only now do I seem to appreciate them.

Anyway, this is Robbie's place, showing what you can get for £20 milly if you have an eye for a bargain.  

An old Colombian mate of mine who I went to school with owns a big F off house in Holland Park. He imports 'coffee' to the uk allegedly, not joking  Cheesy

I bet he does Cheesy

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #47021 on: September 23, 2016, 12:00:44 AM »

tbf, that pie looked plenty big enough for two.  With quality ingredients and equally importantly, an absence of poor quality ingredients, it all seems very fair.  I might try one before you do.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #47022 on: September 23, 2016, 05:08:46 AM »

Morrisons steak n kidney pies £3 each or two for a fiver pretty deece too - Sunday afternoon return from the club - ex service mans not whites or garricks ! Roast taters in oven ,15 mins later pie in oven ,30 mins later carrots n broccoli in veg steamer ,55 mins later make gravy 60 mins later dish up yum yum
75 mins later nod off on sofa Smiley
Or tescos similar price the gourmet one has 47% meat in the finest 42% n it's £1 cheaper - spotted by my my gf who loves a bargain the other week
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #47023 on: September 23, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »

Where's the deepstack gone?

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47024 on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »

Wants to live near The Queen, I guess. Cheadle is not exactly where it all happens, is it?

I often fantasise about coming into serious money, enough to buy any house, any where, just Gill & me.

Pretty sure I'd buy two, one in America & we'd spend 6 months of the year over there, just driving State to State, & doing Amtrak trips, then a little cottage in the English countryside - or West Highlands of Scotland -  with a bit of land where we could keep ducks, horses, a goat or two, & some chickens. Gill talks to animal like a little girl - "hello horsey, here, have a carrot" sort of thing. Sounds daft, & I suppose it is, but I adore her for it.   

It's good to dream, don't you think?

Anyway, blame Doobs for all that waffle, he did ask. 

I hope you come into a lot of money too, then you can employ me to look after the livestock while you're gallivanting in America.

Speaking of Sky satellites, I play the occasional one, usually for the £110 Super Roller and I have a great strike rate in them, probably getting a seat something like 7/10 times.

As for the Roller itself though, I just can't cash in the bloody thing. It's a great comp for the likes of me too, long levels, good structure, smallish fields.... 

I know what my problem is too, I can't put my big hands down. I can do it in other tourneys, but for some reason, not in that one.

It's just variance Tom, she's a fickle beast.

I never even realised you played the Roller. It overlaid quite badly last Sunday, maybe because folks switched to the Sky High thing on the Tuesday - double the buy-in, but it made double the G'Tee. Guess they swerved one & played the other.

Good luck tonight if you Satellite in today.

PS - Have not forgotten your PM, have built up a bit of a backlog, & I'm clearing them 5 a day, as I'm a bit busy with work right now.

Pages: 1 ... 3131 3132 3133 3134 [3135] 3136 3137 3138 3139 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: