blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3139 3140 3141 3142 [3143] 3144 3145 3146 3147 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6331448 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47130 on: October 11, 2016, 03:49:55 PM »

Read a great little article today (and its a clever, subtle advert too). His dislike of exclamation marks reminded me of you.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/looking-safe-stance-use-exclamation-marks-recruitment-mitch-sullivan?trk=hp-feed-article-title-publish

Oh God, Jim, don't start me off, I was nice  & calm, relaxed & chilled until I read that.

This tickled me though.....

"More broadly, it’s been argued by smarter people than me, that an adult’s sanity is inversely proportional to the number of exclamation marks they use when writing on the Internet"

More seriously, this hits the spot exactly;

That kind of gushy enthusiasm is off-putting at best and patronising at worse.

And that is probably what upsets me most when I see bangs & shrieks galore in corporate comms, because it assumes we, the reader or Customer is a dumbschmuck, or reads magazines aimed at adolescent females such as "Jackie, or "16!".

It is grossly patronising, condescending & insulting to any balanced grown up.

I got these 2 Texts last week;

(Upper case is as received).

"ANTHONY, HERE IS THE TEXT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!"

"LOOK OUT FOR YOUR CUSTOMER CODE TOMORROW!!"

Who the hell wrote that - a salesman's 3 year old daughter?

And guess who sent me it. The producers of Pokeman Go? An ice cream lolly maker? A publisher of comics?  Essex Cultural Society?

No, no, no, & no.

Sytner BMW.

Now a BMW is no longer a prestige car, it's a mass produced middle of the range motor car, albeit they are very nice & well made.

I'd say, however, we can reasonably assume that BMW drivers are aged 18 or over. So they don't need to be patronised with that shite.

I'm not actually sure if this GIF represents those who write that garbage, or me.

Apologies for interrupting your calm, chilled state.  It almost tempted me not to mention that  I'm Alan, not Jim.  Blame Jim if you want.

Sigh, now I'm even more tetchy & angsty, sorry Alan.

Jim was the fella that won the Lottery, right?

I hope you sent the money to Jim and not Alan or Mrs Jim  Wink

FFA, don't tell me you never received it?

It is showing as having been sent correctly. I even added a reference, so you knew it was from me.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Lucky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47131 on: October 11, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »

Read a great little article today (and its a clever, subtle advert too). His dislike of exclamation marks reminded me of you.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/looking-safe-stance-use-exclamation-marks-recruitment-mitch-sullivan?trk=hp-feed-article-title-publish

Oh God, Jim, don't start me off, I was nice  & calm, relaxed & chilled until I read that.

"More broadly, it’s been argued by smarter people than me, that an adult’s sanity is inversely proportional to the number of exclamation marks they use when writing on the Internet"

And that is probably what upsets me most when I see bangs & shrieks galore in corporate comms, because it assumes we, the reader or Customer is a dumbschmuck, or reads magazines aimed at adolescent females such as "Jackie, or "16!".

And guess who sent me it. The producers of Pokeman Go? An ice cream lolly maker? A publisher of comics?  Essex Cultural Society?

No, no, no, & no.

Sytner BMW.

Now a BMW is no longer a prestige car, it's a mass produced middle of the range motor car, albeit they are very nice & well made.

I'd say, however, we can reasonably assume that BMW drivers are aged 18 or over. So they don't need to be patronised with that shite.

I'm not actually sure if this GIF represents those who write that garbage, or me.

Apologies for interrupting your calm, chilled state.  It almost tempted me not to mention that  I'm Alan, not Jim.  Blame Jim if you want.

Jim was the fella that won the Lottery, right? And you always wore those rather classy checked shirts, Ben Sherman I fancy.

No problem.   Yes, Jim and I share the same surname, but he was the lottery winner and probably better suited to being called Lucky, so the confusion is entirely understandable.    
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #47132 on: October 11, 2016, 03:58:28 PM »

No, no, no, & no.

Sytner BMW.

Apologies for interrupting your calm, chilled state.  It almost tempted me not to mention that  I'm Alan, not Jim.  Blame Jim if you want.

Jim was the fella that won the Lottery, right?

I hope you sent the money to Jim and not Alan or Mrs Jim  Wink

FFA, don't tell me you never received it?

It is showing as having been sent correctly. I even added a reference, so you knew it was from me.

Never checked , after the events of 10 years ago with Rob I suppose I should  Wink

Very good reference by the way , I did laugh !
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #47133 on: October 11, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »

Back to the Cannes harbour Tikay....what would you call your yacht if you bought one?

I walked past a humongous platinum silver one with a friggin hot tub on the deck. A big fat dude was wallowing in the middle with a glass of champers in one hand and a large cigar in the other. There were several scantily clad females frolicking in the wake of his ample bulk all giggly and screamy.

I glanced down and saw his yacht was named "Life's A Breeze". Yah I bet it fucking is mate!!!!!!!!!!

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #47134 on: October 11, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »

Back to the Cannes harbour Tikay....what would you call your yacht if you bought one?

I walked past a humongous platinum silver one with a friggin hot tub on the deck. A big fat dude was wallowing in the middle with a glass of champers in one hand and a large cigar in the other. There were several scantily clad females frolicking in the wake of his ample bulk all giggly and screamy.

I glanced down and saw his yacht was named "Life's A Breeze". Yah I bet it fucking is mate!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah.....but is he happy....

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #47135 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:56 PM »

No, no, no, & no.

SHytner BMW.

FYP

I'm guessing you are not a fan of Sytner, right?

Have to say, they have looked after me wonderfully for 10 or 12 years now, no complaints at all. Well, UNTIL I RECEIVED THAT TEXT.

I mean, for crying out loud, since when do grown ups use all upper case? Obviously, we expect it from Yorkshire folk, they know no better, but Sytner are a class act.

I'M NOT BITING.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47136 on: October 12, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

I love ogling those beautiful yachts, trying to imagine what it must be like to have so much money.

We went to Cannes, but never visited the harbour, instead, we spent best part of a day in Monte Carlo, just wandering around the harbour, we even got a little ferry that goes across the harbour, so we could see the yachts close up. 

Name of my yacht? Think I'd go for Lionheart. Seems a popular choice.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47137 on: October 12, 2016, 09:41:30 AM »

Don't really know where to look on blonde some mornings to find a cheerful thread. It's all finger wagging & pointing on the Renee thread, there's one of those awkward silences on Fred this morning after the boys had a bit of a lover's tiff, & then there's Tom's plumbing thread.

Anyway, this is nice, the boy did well. Not so sure about that jacket, mind. And the kids (he has 8 in all) been made to dress properly & comb their hair, which is nice to see, though a little ironic given Dad's often unruly mop.

What a life he has had, & I don't begrudge him a thing, he has talent, is a wonderful lyricist, & he has worked hard.

Well done Sir Roderick.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47138 on: October 12, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »

How cool can a 71 year old look?

MBN to be able to carry off a crucial suit like that at his age, topped off with that titfer, though I'm deducting a point for the shoes.

Guess I should add the near obligatory musical pun.

You wear it well

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:56:35 AM by tikay » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #47139 on: October 12, 2016, 10:07:37 AM »

Speaking of people who wear it well, fancy giving us a top 5 best dressed people on tv, tikay? Or well-known people generally, perhaps.

Big fan here of George Lamb:

Click to see full-size image.

Really suits a suit, as it were. As does Charlie Stayt on BBC Breakfast:

Click to see full-size image.

Or what about Kristen Stewart, whom Karl Lagerfeld describes as "unique"?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47140 on: October 12, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »

Good question, I'll have to have a bit of a think.

I'd best go to google first & find out who those three are, can't say I have heard of any of them.

What is that mark on that woman's arm? Is it one of those day passes they stamp on you at rock festivals or big poker fessies?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:14:34 AM by tikay » Logged

hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #47141 on: October 12, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »

Morning Mr T.

I don't think you read the US politics thread so may have missed the post about Warren Buffet's tax returns. He was bought into the argument about Trump's refusal to post his own  tax return when Trump said that he couldn't do that as he was being audited, and said that Warren Buffet would not produce his own tax return if he was being audited. Well, Warren Buffet replied to that by saying that he has been audited several times, and would have had no problem whatsoever in producing the information whilst he was being audited. Buffet gave a brief outline of the figures that he shows, about a million $ in income, 2 billion $ in charitable donations etc. That is each year by the way. The part that I found most interesting was that he said he had all 72 tax returns he has made going back to his first one when he was 9, I think, for all of $6.

Cheer up Mr T as this is a happy thread.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47142 on: October 12, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »

Morning Mr T.

I don't think you read the US politics thread so may have missed the post about Warren Buffet's tax returns. He was bought into the argument about Trump's refusal to post his own  tax return when Trump said that he couldn't do that as he was being audited, and said that Warren Buffet would not produce his own tax return if he was being audited. Well, Warren Buffet replied to that by saying that he has been audited several times, and would have had no problem whatsoever in producing the information whilst he was being audited. Buffet gave a brief outline of the figures that he shows, about a million $ in income, 2 billion $ in charitable donations etc. That is each year by the way. The part that I found most interesting was that he said he had all 72 tax returns he has made going back to his first one when he was 9, I think, for all of $6.

Cheer up Mr T as this is a happy thread.

No, I missed that hector.

I keep meaning to catch up on that thread, but I'm so far behind I don't know where to start.

The Trump thing is quite a story though. Extraordinary that such a man can even be considered for the so-called Highest Office in the World.

As it happens, I was musing the question who would make a great US President recently. They don't need to be an expert on everything - that's what Government advisors are for - but they do need to have a ton of common sense, & the heart to make difficult decisions for the greater good. Who better than Warren?

As to Warren, in several of the Bios about him, it stated that he did his own tax returns, though of course BH & the various Warren assets are so big & sprawling now that it'd be impossible.  The B-H Tax Return runs to - wait for it - 32,000 pages.

His charitable pledge was to give away 99% of his personal wealth, & he is committed to that in partnership with Bill Gates the last I heard. He has children, but does not believe that inherited wealth is a good thing. Not sure his kids would agree, mind.

He & his wife, Susie, separated 20 years before she died, & Warren lived with another young lady, formerly his housekeeper. But all three were close friends, dined together every week, & sent combined Xmas cards signed by all 3 of them. That's the product of an unemotional, logical mind I guess. He really should have been an Accountant.

Warren's current salary, as head of Berkshire Hathaway, is $100,000 per year, & he still lives in the same house in Omaha he purchased in 1954.    

Berkshire Hathaway is worth $329 billion, (or was, a year or so back) & employs 360,000 staff. And it's Head Office staff count? 25.

I could prattle on all day about The Great Man.  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:23:29 PM by tikay » Logged

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #47143 on: October 12, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »

Did you catch Robbert De Niro's candid comments on Trump?

If not here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-ZyW9bz5c

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47144 on: October 12, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

Did you catch Robbert De Niro's candid comments on Trump?

If not here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-ZyW9bz5c

Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Really enjoyed that.

If Carlsberg made Political Party Broadcasts....

PS - Love your mastery of understatement, Ralph, it must come with great age. "Candid comments". Yup, them be candid.

Pages: 1 ... 3139 3140 3141 3142 [3143] 3144 3145 3146 3147 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: