blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272575 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3196 3197 3198 3199 [3200] 3201 3202 3203 3204 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6326776 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47985 on: March 02, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »

On my favourite train line, from Glasgow to Inverness, fantastic scenic route. Already spotted roe deer, a fox, herons, a buzzard and a flock of geese, should see red deer when we get up into the snow. Back down in the morning.

You lucky man.

Whilst you were admiring the spectacular views from Glasgow to Inverness, I was on the Virgin East Coast Main Line to Leeds. Passes right by Elland Road stadium, as it happens. Nothing to see there.

Strange you should mention that Inverness train journey.

A few years back, when Gill & I were in Scotland, we visited (several times) Kyle of Lochalsh Station, also Plockton Station, & Duirinish Station.

Since then, our Bucket List has included taking the train from Kyle of Lockalsh to Inverness.

Just reading the station names gives us a tingle. Is there a more spectacularly pretty railway line anywhere in the UK?

And does any single railway line have such a collection of wonderfully named Stations?

Kyle of Lochalsh

Duirinish

Plockton

Duncraig

Stromeferry

Attadale

Strathcarron

Achnashellach

Achnasheen

Achanalt

Lochluichart

Garve

Far North Line

Dingwall

Conon Bridge

Muir of Ord

Beauly

River Ness

Rose Street Junction

Welsh's Bridge Junction

Inverness

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47986 on: March 02, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »

Kyle of Lockalsh Railway Station.

If the train does not stop there, it's in the water.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47987 on: March 02, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »

As it's national book day:

1) Best book you've read in the last 12 months
2) All time favourite book
3) Kindle, paperback or hardback?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47988 on: March 03, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »

Funnily enough I was looking at random Scottish stations and came across this. 

http://www.cyclingscot.co.uk/altnabreac.html

A station at the end of a dirt track in the middle of nowhere.  Not sure I fancy the midges.

This one has more of a sense of purpose

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/scotland/8596883/Scotlands-perfect-point-to-point-hike.html

Not sure I fancy walking up the hills either, but might have to start ticking these off when I retire.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #47989 on: March 03, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »

Dingwalls was a damn fine nightclub in Camden Town when I was in my pomp.

Who'd have thought it was named after an obscure highland railway station.

On the subject of rhetorical questions; do they deserve to be punctuated with a question mark?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:13:46 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47990 on: March 03, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »

Not sure if you have been following this.  Some Irish fella who runs a tinpot airline has been mouthing off at the Grand National handicapper.

Loved this bit of writing

“I want to come back on some of the drivel spouted by the head of handicapping,” O’Leary began. Continuing in conciliatory vein, he referred to Smith’s words as “complete and utter contradictory nonsense”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/feb/17/talking-horses-grand-national-weights-michael-oleary

Presumably if Phil Smith complained about a flight on his tinpot airline, O'Leary would just tell him to feck off? 

Anyway, he has now withdrawn 8 horses, alledgedly in response to this. 

For background, Irish horses have been cleaning up at Cheltenham for years, allegedly running off weights that may not have reflected their ability.  So having aseparate UK handicap is not a new thig at all.  It has been going on for a few years. 

Hope Phil Smith adds an extra pound to each of his horses next year, entirely down to the crassness of this behaviour.

FWIW O'Leary won £561k last year in the Grand National, he runs bad.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47991 on: March 03, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »

Corrour station fwiw

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47992 on: March 03, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »

Blimey Barry, makes the questions harder, why don't you?

I'll have to answer it in several parts over a few days.

3) is easy - paperback for me. Always.

2) TBA, there is no one all time fave, but several I can't choose between. I'll try & list a few in the next day or 2.

1) Again, very difficult to answer. I tend to enjoy most stuff I read, but I choose them with great care, as I don't want to waste my time reading stuff I don't enjoy. Reading remains, perhaps, life's greatest pleasure.

Here's two of this years pick which I particularly enjoyed.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:36:06 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47993 on: March 03, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

So many, Barry.

Here's a few which spring to mind.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47994 on: March 03, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47995 on: March 03, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »

Based on those, you might like these

^^^The most decadent rock and roll stories you'll ever read and brutally honest

^^ I kid you not, this is the only wrestling biography I would recommend to people who think it's stupid

If you like Bryson I think you would adore this one^^^

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47996 on: March 03, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »

On the subject of rhetorical questions; do they deserve to be punctuated with a question mark?

I asked that very question recently Ralph.

Meester Tal, he say "No".

PS- I suspect he's wrong but I darn't say so.

The older I get, the better I was.
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47997 on: March 03, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »

Howdy old fella.

Been doing a bit of cycling around Scotland last few years, did the  Spey Way last year and came across this old beauty. It used to be part of the Strathspey Railway and was previously called Knockando but was bought over by the Tamdhu distillery which it used to service. No passenger trains have ran since 1966 and the whisky freight finished in 1971 but was nice to see it so well preserved as it is now a part of the Tamdhu Distillery Visitors Centre, classed as category C listed building.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

Shouldn't really be surprised I suppose as the distillery's must be some of the best maintained buildings i have seen anywhere.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #47998 on: March 03, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »

I feel that it might depend on just how rhetorical the question is.

If I were to say to Tony "you're a daft old bugger aren't you" I definitely don't think that needs a question mark, but my earlier "who'd have thought that Dingwalls was named after an obscure highland railway station" might just warrant one.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47999 on: March 03, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »

I feel that it might depend on just how rhetorical the question is.

If I were to say to Tony "you're a daft old bugger aren't you" I definitely don't think that needs a question mark.

No.Definitely no question.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 3196 3197 3198 3199 [3200] 3201 3202 3203 3204 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: