blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:02:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1676 1677 1678 1679 [1680] 1681 1682 1683 1684 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6328907 times)
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #25185 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »

Hilarious weekend at DTD IIRC - a blonde get together?  I got back to my hotel in daylight, didn't sleep and went back for another day of poker fuelled by redbull. Very funny.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25186 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »

Hilarious weekend at DTD IIRC - a blonde get together?  I got back to my hotel in daylight, didn't sleep and went back for another day of poker fuelled by redbull. Very funny.

I recall it being at DTD, & Jen being so tired & distressed that she had no idea she had won until the next morning. She's some girl.

I co-analysed with her on 865 recently, & she was exactly the same as ever, refreshingly & totally mad, giggly, & mischievous.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25187 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »

I can't  find any mention of a TV mini series called "All the presidents men" but there was a famous film by that name.

Could the TV series be called "Watergate" ?

Maybe the book was called that, & the TV/Fim was called Watergate.

Nixon was played by quite a famous actor, I seem to recall, & he "fitted" perfectly.

There was a film starring Robert Redford as either Woodward or Bernstein (the two Washington Post reporters), as I recall. That was deffo not the TV Series.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25188 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

Not in our lifetme obviously (me being mid-sixties or summat and you being 10 yrs older than I) but what's your take on the Estuary Airport?

It links your interests in planes with your love of wildlife - more planes good; less birds bad...

Boris is very for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16606212

I am passionately in favour, David, either that, or a third runway @ Heathrow.

I am au fait with all the arguments against, & fully empathise, but it's how life is, air travel is how it is these days, & if the UK does not provide the runway capacity, France & Holland will. Or even a devolved Scotland.

And no, it will not be in my time, any more than that bizarrely expensive proposal for a new Rail Link to Birmingham & beyond will be.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #25189 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »

Yahoo! co-founder Jerry Yang resigned overnight, & has left the Company.

He & David Filo founded Yahoo! the best part of 20 years ago, it was originally named "David & Jerry's guide to the World Wide Web", & as that name suggests, the internet seems to have come a long way since then.

Quite a ride, too, with the company being valued at $120 billion within 5 or 6 years. Today, I think its worth about a fifth of that, maybe less.

2 years ago, Microsoft offered $33 per share, which Yang curtly dismissed as "opportunist". The shares now trade at about $15.

With several readers of this Diary emerging recently to show great insight - probably far more than mine - into stocks, shares, or investing, perhaps they would like to speculate on where the Yahoo! share price will go now, & will Microsoft come back & make another offer. If it were worth $45 billion to Microsoft 2 years ago, & they can get it for $25 billion now - loose change to Microsoft - you'd think it was a given. Possibly.

Personally, even as a punt, I think I'd swerve the Company, which seems to have lost its way.

PS - Post created without the invaluable assistance of Wiki, which is "on strike" today. Come back soon Wiki.

This made me think of Facebook and how he turned down a huge offer then within a year it was worth so much more. It can go both ways of course, courage of your convictions and all that.
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25190 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »

Ach, you've made it this far Tikay, so there's no reason to think you haven't got at least one more century left in you...
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #25191 on: January 18, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

Berlin was blockaded by the Soviets in 1948, & the famous "Berlin Airlift" ("The Berlin Air Bridge") took place. Can you imagine a blockade of berlin in this day & age?

I believe, in a roundabout way, that it was due to this airlift that Sir Freddie Laker first started to make money out of aviation. Later, he pioneered low cost Atlantic air travel, with "SkyTrain", (what a great name!) & it was very successful. Within 2 years, though, he was busto. Quite a story to Sir Freddie & Laker Airways, actually, & I may bore you with it one day.

My mum was flown into Berlin as part of that airlift, as a kid, because my Grandpa (an aircraft engineer with BOAC) had just been stationed there, they flew his oppo's wife, my Gran & my Mum out to be with their husband  - apparently they were the only females flown into Berlin at the time.

I really regret his dying before I was old enough to have a beer and a natter with him - a right character with a varied life was Sid.

They flew her IN?

How extraordinary!

Aye, then they flew them back out & based them in Hannover. This was between being stationed in Argentina, then going to the Bahamas where Grandad left BOAC & joined BahamasAir (because he was sick of BOAC moving him so often - Hong Kong would have been the next destination).

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #25192 on: January 18, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

Celebrating victory after a ground battle in Japan, 1945, a picture I grew up with & loved - Americans, in my youth, were deemed the good guys, & everyone else the bad boys.

Quite recently, it emerged that several versions of this photo exist, & allegations & suggestions of photo-shopping arose. Rather sad in a way, as I can no longer view the photo with such admiration & innocence.

Click to see full-size image.

pretty sure they weren't photoshopping pics when you were growing up

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #25193 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »

Celebrating victory after a ground battle in Japan, 1945, a picture I grew up with & loved - Americans, in my youth, were deemed the good guys, & everyone else the bad boys.

Quite recently, it emerged that several versions of this photo exist, & allegations & suggestions of photo-shopping arose. Rather sad in a way, as I can no longer view the photo with such admiration & innocence.

pretty sure they weren't photoshopping pics when you were growing up

Maybe not, photoshopped, but....

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25194 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »

Berlin was blockaded by the Soviets in 1948, & the famous "Berlin Airlift" ("The Berlin Air Bridge") took place. Can you imagine a blockade of berlin in this day & age?

I believe, in a roundabout way, that it was due to this airlift that Sir Freddie Laker first started to make money out of aviation. Later, he pioneered low cost Atlantic air travel, with "SkyTrain", (what a great name!) & it was very successful. Within 2 years, though, he was busto. Quite a story to Sir Freddie & Laker Airways, actually, & I may bore you with it one day.

My mum was flown into Berlin as part of that airlift, as a kid, because my Grandpa (an aircraft engineer with BOAC) had just been stationed there, they flew his oppo's wife, my Gran & my Mum out to be with their husband  - apparently they were the only females flown into Berlin at the time.

I really regret his dying before I was old enough to have a beer and a natter with him - a right character with a varied life was Sid.

They flew her IN?

How extraordinary!

Aye, then they flew them back out & based them in Hannover. This was between being stationed in Argentina, then going to the Bahamas where Grandad left BOAC & joined BahamasAir (because he was sick of BOAC moving him so often - Hong Kong would have been the next destination).

That's quite something, given how different & relatively difficult air travel was back then.

Then, of course, BOAC was really a Great British brand. They used to have a Terminal in West Kensington (!), & a fleet of Coaches toing & froing to Heathrow. Those coaches were the nuts.

The domestic equivelant of BOAC was BEA (later to merge with BOAC to form BA), here's one of their, now sadly decrepit, shuttle coaches.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #25195 on: January 18, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »

I need help from punctuation geeks. how do we make this ambiguous statement-

I think I have read more books about this dreadful character than anyone else.

read as either

"I think I have read more books about this dreadful character than about anyone else"

or

"I think I have read more books about this dreadful character than anyone else has"

just by adding punctuation but leaving the same words in the same order?

everything I try looks slightly wrong

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25196 on: January 18, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

Not sure can clarify the sentence any further without changing the order of the words, but probably wrong.

Here's one I came across today. The company I'm working at are advertising for a data entry person and we're trying out the Job Centre online:

https://edon.businesslink.gov.uk/Edon/setLocale.do?country=GB

It asks us: "If you would like to notify a job..."

Is the use of the verb notify standard in this context, or a bit peculiar?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:59:43 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #25197 on: January 18, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »

that use of notify is perfectly acceptable

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25198 on: January 18, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

that use of notify is perfectly acceptable

But is it standard?  I'd never think of using notify there, it would always be post or advertise.  Can't say I've ever seen it used like that before.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #25199 on: January 18, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

completely standard though I'd say I've noticed it is being used more recently

Pages: 1 ... 1676 1677 1678 1679 [1680] 1681 1682 1683 1684 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: