blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2481 2482 2483 2484 [2485] 2486 2487 2488 2489 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296914 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37260 on: April 29, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

Starbucks vending machines
Saw one for the first time today. Obviously had to try one. More expensive than Costa express but tasted pretty much identical to the shop stuff. Far better options as well. Didn't realise that they'd been around for a couple of years. First one I've seen and I drink a lot of service station coffee!

Can they compete with Costa in this market? Think it will be difficult to catch up.

Wow, never seen one.

Where was that, Paul?

Costa got first run at Vending Machine coffee, & have all the premium sites (Motorway Service Stations etc), & only the Red Bean stuff (ugh, dreadful stuff), at the M & S and Shell Garages has a foothold in the market, so no, I doubt Starbucks can catch up in that market. Costa is owned by Whitbread, so has plenty of clout, too.

How are things, Baby & Penny (Pennie?) OK?

Playing much poker? You, I mean, not the baby.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:07:38 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jac

View Profile
« Reply #37261 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »

Markeaton island. Derbyshire Yeoman back in the day. Spa have taken over the shop. Installing plenty of these so I'm told.

Family all good ta. Playing usual amount of poker. Just online these days sadly. Missing the live games. Must try and get out soon
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37262 on: April 29, 2014, 11:20:57 PM »

Markeaton island. Derbyshire Yeoman back in the day. Spa have taken over the shop. Installing plenty of these so I'm told.

Family all good ta. Playing usual amount of poker. Just online these days sadly. Missing the live games. Must try and get out soon

That used to be a very busy petrol station and shop, but awkward to access and exit which restricted custom somewhat.

I used to play a bit of golf at Quarndon, just up the road, lovely course, though the geese shat on the greens a lot.

Got a few stories about Quarndon Golf Club, but probably best let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jac

View Profile
« Reply #37263 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:54 PM »

Never heard of Quarndon Golf Club. Kedleston Park is nice though. As long as you're of suitable stock that is.

Load of roadworks round there at present. Should eventually improve things. Pity they haven't ever built the flyover.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37264 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »

Never heard of Quarndon Golf Club. Kedleston Park is nice though. As long as you're of suitable stock that is.

Load of roadworks round there at present. Should eventually improve things. Pity they haven't ever built the flyover.

FML, am sure I'm losing the plot. I meant Kedleston Golf Club, which is in......Quarndon..

Yes, not ideal for commoners like us. Nice track, though,with lovely views, and a nice little lakey thing.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37265 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:40 PM »

FML, am sure I'm losing the plot. I meant Kedleston Golf Club, which is in......Quarndon..

Yes, not ideal for commoners like us. Nice track, though,with lovely views, and a nice little lakey thing.

Handy for lakin' golf then...

The older I get, the better I was.
Jac

View Profile
« Reply #37266 on: April 30, 2014, 12:46:11 AM »

Bloke I knew at Mickleover, Howard, told me a story.
He had made a shed load of cash through different ventures. Most notably U-date. He decided to leave Mickleover and join Kedleston as he wanted his 10 year old son George to mix in the right circles. George is now a pro but as a child didn't hit the ball very far.
They played one day not long after joining. Howard wanted to teach George golfing etiquette so that he would fit in well with the Kedleston lot.  They meandered their way down the 1st. Suddenly a ball landed 20 yards past them. Howard said to his son that that was frowned upon and that they should have waited until they were out of range. As they putted out a ball landed on the green missing George by a few feet. Howard picked up the ball and marched back up the fairway. "Do that again and I'll stick this fxxxing ball up your your fxxxing arse you cxxt"

Howard no longer plays at Kedleston.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37267 on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »

Saw one for the first time today. Obviously had to try one. More expensive than Costa express but tasted pretty much identical to the shop stuff. Far better options as well. Didn't realise that they'd been around for a couple of years. First one I've seen and I drink a lot of service station coffee!

Can they compete with Costa in this market? Think it will be difficult to catch up.

I've always thought the Costa vending machine coffee tastes absolutely vile. But maybe that's just a psychological thing.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #37268 on: April 30, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »

I've always thought the Costa vending machine coffee tastes absolutely vile. But maybe that's just a psychological thing.

I don't think they can get the right pressure through and the temperature control might not be quite right - with black coffee that makes a slight difference.

I don't know how those machines handle the milk (?)
I would guess that could make a huge difference to the flavour.

Other than that then the only other non-psychological difference I could think of is if it's possible for the shop owners to substitute the Costa blend of coffee beans with a cheaper brand - that would definitely kill it.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37269 on: April 30, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

I don't think they can get the right pressure through and the temperature control might not be quite right - with black coffee that makes a slight difference.

I don't know how those machines handle the milk (?)
I would guess that could make a huge difference to the flavour.

Other than that then the only other non-psychological difference I could think of is if it's possible for the shop owners to substitute the Costa blend of coffee beans with a cheaper brand - that would definitely kill it.

In my (considerable) experience of takeaway coffee in London the chains that use more automated machines (pret, EAT) have horrible bitter tasting coffee. Those that use a more manual system are far superior.

We also have a very expensive machine at work that uses high quality beans, and likewise it's drinkable at best.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:50:36 PM by AlunB » Logged
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #37270 on: April 30, 2014, 06:59:36 PM »

Wow, never seen one.

Where was that, Paul?

Costa got first run at Vending Machine coffee, & have all the premium sites (Motorway Service Stations etc), & only the Red Bean stuff (ugh, dreadful stuff), at the M & S and Shell Garages has a foothold in the market, so no, I doubt Starbucks can catch up in that market. Costa is owned by Whitbread, so has plenty of clout, too.

How are things, Baby & Penny (Pennie?) OK?

Playing much poker? You, I mean, not the baby.

Coffee Nation were the originals in the market. Used to be first job after setting off to work, whatever direction we were heading, Coffee Nation stop.

They were bought by Whitbread for £60 million in 2008, seemed like the machines disappeared overnight, obviously replaced by Costa.
Their founder wrote a book imaginatively titled erm,.,,, Wake up and sell the coffee. He actually sold the business for £23 million the same year Whitbread paid 60 for it !

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #37271 on: April 30, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

Bloke I knew at Mickleover, Howard, told me a story.
He had made a shed load of cash through different ventures. Most notably U-date. He decided to leave Mickleover and join Kedleston as he wanted his 10 year old son George to mix in the right circles. George is now a pro but as a child didn't hit the ball very far.
They played one day not long after joining. Howard wanted to teach George golfing etiquette so that he would fit in well with the Kedleston lot.  They meandered their way down the 1st. Suddenly a ball landed 20 yards past them. Howard said to his son that that was frowned upon and that they should have waited until they were out of range. As they putted out a ball landed on the green missing George by a few feet. Howard picked up the ball and marched back up the fairway. "Do that again and I'll stick this fxxxing ball up your your fxxxing arse you cxxt"

Howard no longer plays at Kedleston.

rofl
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #37272 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

My Dad played in The England Seniors at Keddleston Park and was drawn with John Beharrell and Ted Dexter.
Ted was in his late 60's playing off +1 and hitting the ball over 280 yards off the tee.
John had been the youngest winner of the British Amateur at 18 and an ex Captain of the R & A.
More importantly both were true gentlemen.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37273 on: May 01, 2014, 07:26:19 AM »

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37274 on: May 01, 2014, 02:10:40 PM »

http://www.fox5vegas.com/slideshow?widgetid=112271

Shame your not in Vegas early to see this bigboy

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Pages: 1 ... 2481 2482 2483 2484 [2485] 2486 2487 2488 2489 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: