blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2596 2597 2598 2599 [2600] 2601 2602 2603 2604 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6325269 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38985 on: July 16, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »

thought you might like this

Click to see full-size image.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-28319907

The older I get, the better I was.
Hawk

View Profile
« Reply #38986 on: July 16, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »

I know you have the golf to get excited about this week and to be fair I cant wait either but while you are waiting

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in full Red Arrows mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918

"Golf is a game that can't be won, only played"

"Look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #38987 on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »

I know you have the golf to get excited about this week and to be fair I cant wait either but while you are waiting

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in full Red Arrows mode

It felt like my flight back from Vegas was doing that last week  Cheesy

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38988 on: July 17, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »

The day I died on TV.......

I have to preserve this, for posterity, or whatever "posterity" means in blonde terms.

After my admittedly cringeworthy little joke, the Show got an e-Mail from a Pro Golf Blogger suggesting I should know that the Nike logo was a SWOOSH......

Yesterday, this appeared on You Tube, under....

"Betting Guy Hasn't a Clue About Nike"

My colleagues in the Studio did the deadpan thing, not, it seems, without much difficulty.

On You Tube, Stan James Boomakers commented "this presenter must be the most uninformed man in the WORLD!!!"

Oh dear. Oh deary deary dear......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #38989 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »

Yup this about sums it up! Nice reply to stan james Cheesy

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38990 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »

In fairness they may have meant to type uniformed man.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38991 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »

Please.

Quality jacket, tie & shirt combo, that.

I would not look out of place in the Members enclosure @ Lords dressed in that.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38992 on: July 17, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »

Please.

Quality jacket, tie & shirt combo, that.

I would not look out of place in the Members enclosure @ Lords dressed in that.

I wouldn't know what the waiting staff wear to be fair, so you may be right
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #38993 on: July 17, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »

In relation to the school letter our children's primary school send a letter to the parents with the results of the exams explaining that the test has a very specific focus and that the results do not always reflect the child's performance etc. This is sent to all parents irrespective of the results.

I thought the letter all over the internet was a nice touch as kids can be put off education/exams at a very early stage if all everybody looks at is marks on a paper. Do we really need to test very young children so much, they will have enough exams from 11 onwards why do they need to be tested so much at primary school, just let them be children and enjoy school!.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38994 on: July 17, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »

Aother Malaysian aeroplane goes down, MH17

Commercial airliners now take evasive action to avoid eastern Ukrainian airspace. Example: Flight TG921 Thai Airways

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38995 on: July 17, 2014, 06:03:54 PM »

Commercial airliners now take evasive action to avoid eastern Ukrainian airspace. Example: Flight TG921 Thai Airways

Show down, apparently.

The actual aircraft made it's maiden flight on July 17, 1997, 17 years ago today.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #38996 on: July 19, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »

Will the King of Concrete XI be entering the fantasy football this year?
There is an interest list on the sports board. Be great to have as many teams as possible on board
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #38997 on: July 19, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »

Show down, apparently.

The actual aircraft made it's maiden flight on July 17, 1997, 17 years ago today.

Thought I'd come in and share this with you as I assume you don't frequent the Toon thread elsewhere.

Two of the people on that flight were Newcastle fans travelling to New Zealand for our friendly game.

In response to the tragedy Sunderland fans started a donation page to raise £100 for a floral tribute for both funerals with any excess going to charity, donations currently over £8k and rising.

Amazing gesture from Sunderland fans, here's the thread it started from :

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/floral-tribute-for-the-newcastle-lads.943399/
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #38998 on: July 20, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »

There's quite a hierarchy for it. Some people take great pride in their seniority, but others just say that's swan upmanship.
Very nice.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38999 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »

thought you might like this

Click to see full-size image.

A big "LIKE" to that.

I hope it's genuine.

To those who don't do so good at exams, that must mean so very much. At that age, failing exams hurts like hell, damages our self-esteem & scars us for life.

I will bite then  . . . . . away from the rights and wrongs of KS2
KS2 is a academic test.  Scoring the abilities of individuals at achieving specific academic targets.

Although the letter is well written and the sentiment is well meaning (as long as all pupils receive the same letter pass or fail) it does cover over the fact that you are being tested in specific areas, against specific criteria.

When you are 17 if you fail your driving test the instructor does not say, that's alright as you are a nice person who excels in other areas, don't worry about it.  If you fail your first year at Uni you don't get a supporting letter praising you for your work at Oxfam, or caring for your sick Gran.

Its just another step towards de-sensitising our youth to the harsh realities of life, your childhood is where you build your coping mechanisms, if you never lose or fail, or are given excuses at every corner where will you learn to strive, survive, improve etc

If one pupil goes to secondary school with a inkling that academia is not for them because they are not that sort of person it is very sad IMO.  I am not sure any pupil should be lost to academia at 11 and too me that letter promotes that more then it helps those that are below average.

And what if you are the child that does not play an instrument, speak a second language or visit interesting places, bet that group feels highly motivated by this communication.

In fact reading the letter again it would far more sense if it was written to the parents.

Good morning, & sorry for the delayed reply. So much to do, so little time.

First up, I've no idea what "KS2" is, I did 11 Plus, 13 Plus, & GCE's. (Respectively, FAILED, PASSED, & FAILED 5 of 6).

Anyway, I actually DO agree with your general sentiment about over-protecting children & adolescents. The more bumps & bruises they suffer in childhood, the better, as far as I am concerned. I believe that very strongly indeed. Parents who mollycoddle their kids, wrap them in cotton-wool, almost deserve reporting to the NSPCC for cruelty, because it disadvantages them for life. And no, before anyone reminds me, I am not, & have never been, a parent (well not yet, but watch this space, you never know), so maybe I'm out of order, or maybe I can be more objective.  

But I DO think those Exams are a little bit of an exception to the rule. As children, school WAS our life, everything revolved around school & in Exam Years, everything revolved around those exams. Quite right too, perhaps. It's important that he head into adulthood as well educated as possible.

But maybe TOO much pressure is thrown on those immature minds & bodies.

I went to Primary School with two kids in my street. We walked to school together, played together in the playground, sat together in class, walked home together, then played football or "fives" in the street together after school. Those two lads - Raymond Chillingsworth & Barry Hughes (54 years on, I still remember their names), were what my life revolved around. 7 days a week. Life at home was not ideal, but it did not matter - I had my 2 mates, Ray & Barry, & as long as I did, life was fine.    

Exam time came & went. Then came the letter from the School, or Exam Board. It was a Roneo'd thing (remember Roneo?), one line of Text, followed by two check boxes, "PASS" or "FAIL", and a simple "X" was inserted in one or the other.

Mine, of course, had an X in the less pleasing box.

So what? It did not bother me. Academia? What's that? Career prospects? What they? Neither bothered me one iota. Life was about playing football in the street with Barry, Ray, & the other lads.

Until.....

A few hours later, I discovered that Ray & Barry & all the others had all passed their 11 Plus, & were off to Grammar School, whilst I was assigned to the local comprehensive.

No exaggeration, that was one of the worst days of my life. Nothing to do with them being bright, & me not so, nothing at all. That day, I lost my mates, & became aware that I was an inferior person

So they went to the School Outfitters for their new uniforms, & I went with them. They got THAT uniform, & I got the other uniform.

Soon, school started, & we all had to get a bus, from the same bus-stop. Along would come the first bus, & they'd all get on, laughing & joking. I waited behind, on my own, for the next bus.  

Humbling, humiliating, hurtful? Just a bit. Those few weeks were amongst the most painful & hurtful of my life. Words of solace from my parents? No chance. Neither seemed bothered. It was left to me to grapple with it. And within weeks, my stammer got worse, & with it, obviously, my ability to communicate. If a kid stammers, answering questions, or talking, is the worst nightmare from hell. Please don't speak to me as I'll have to try to answer, & then you'll all be politely supressing the giggles. So fuck off, fuck right off now.

Was it good for me in the long run? Of course it was. Best "life lesson" ever ever ever. It was a huge life bonus, & served me better than anything could, ever. It was the smack in the chops that was exactly what I needed.

Could or should it have been handled a little better? You bet. Honest to God, if I'd received that Letter, which said "OK, it's NOT the end of the world, you are NOT a thicko, you are a good person who cares for others, you can still look forward to life" life would have been so much better, & it would all have made so much more sense to me. And losing my mates would have made so much more sense, & maybe be acceptable. I was not a bad person, I still had redeeming features, & things to look forward to, just because I failed an exam. Life was not over.

So in this case, I think the letter is well-intentioned, & a very good thing. And how wonderful in this day & age that they cared enough to at least try & set "fail" in context. Yes, you failed laddo, but only at THAT thing.

That apart, yes, of course, don't mollycoddle kids.

Talking of kids, how is the apple of your eye, young Anya? (God, I do hope I've spelt it correctly for the first time ever). I reckon she should be due a baby Bro or Sissie. What a life that would be, eh?

x
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:08:42 AM by tikay » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 2596 2597 2598 2599 [2600] 2601 2602 2603 2604 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: