blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2599 2600 2601 2602 [2603] 2604 2605 2606 2607 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6321600 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39030 on: July 22, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »

The day I died on TV.......

I have to preserve this, for posterity, or whatever "posterity" means in blonde terms.

After my admittedly cringeworthy little joke, the Show got an e-Mail from a Pro Golf Blogger suggesting I should know that the Nike logo was a SWOOSH......

Yesterday, this appeared on You Tube, under....

"Betting Guy Hasn't a Clue About Nike"

My colleagues in the Studio did the deadpan thing, not, it seems, without much difficulty.

On You Tube, Stan James Boomakers commented "this presenter must be the most uninformed man in the WORLD!!!"

Oh dear. Oh deary deary dear......

Brilliant, love it!

Thanks Mr D.

You can't make this stuff up. If I write a Blog & sweat it really hard on Social Media & whatnot, I'm very happy if I can get 2,000 views. And yet that accidental out-take by someone else now has 6,500 views, lol.

The nice chaps at Stan James missed the pun/joke & had a bit of a pop, but I guess they eventually worked it out & have now deleted their snipey comments.

Really ironic they described me as "uninformed", & yet closed my Stan James account because I made too much money betting with them. They had 3 markets on Televised football matches which all had the wrong line, & it was an "over/under" thing. They repeated the error on every single game, all season. I had the same bet on every single game, always bet "over", & bet on all three markets. I always bet the same amount, £40 on each market, so 3 x £40, & even though the bets were very profitable in % terms, I never upped the stakes. 

The prices were always 9/10 & 9/10, so it had a nice margin built in, & so were bad odds for a punter, or should have been if they had the lines right. Even so, I made a healthy profit betting all 3 markets, game after game, "blind".   

Then they wrote to me to inform me that they were closing my Account. All they had to do was correct their lines.....

Anyway, how are things at BetClic/Everest? I saw a good bit of Sam in Vegas, proudly wearing the patch. Give my regards to Blandy, please.

The online poker landscape is changing rapidly, & experiencing negative growth, but Next Door are experiencing something of a mini-boom, even during the World Cup surprisingly, much aided by the Apps & Mobile. Mobile is going to be HUGE. Might just be good for Online Poker, too, as it is largely a tool for recreationals.

Have you seen the new Party Poker "Fast Forward" (as in "Fastfold") swipe technology? Wow, really like that, that's going to shake the mobile market up I fancy. So good, but so obvious, really.

I was about to retire after the February UKPC, it was so stressful in so many ways, but such a success, it seemed a good time to hang up my boots, but then I ended up helping to broker the 6-Max UKPC renewal, & off I went again on the old whirlygig. I'll never learn.

Hope all is well with you & yours. I'll get to an APAT event one of these days, I promise.

Did you pull this face when you used it?
 Click to see full-size image.

Ha!

Not quite, but God bless Mr Sexton, who, really, is quite a poker institution in his own right. Have to say, that ad is a wee bit naff & dated, to put it mildly. But if it works, I won't knock it.

As a person, I can take him or leave him, & what he has "done for poker" has been, not unreasonably, for his own ends, but he has been a tremendous ambassador for poker. We must always remember that good "Poker Ambassadors" reach outside of the hardcore poker world to the "interested" target market who are so very important. These are the seedcorn. See also Miss Coren.

Surprisingly, as I thought he was quite old, Mr Sexton & I are of the same age, bar a fortnight. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:15:50 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #39031 on: July 22, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »

The talk of friendly football matches reminded me of this story that Norman Deeley told me.

Norman was a winger for Wolves in the 50's. His debut for England was against Brazil and Nrman would be up against the Brazil fullback Santos.

Before the game Santos introduced himself to Norman and said

' I understand this is your debut Norman. When you get the ball for the first time I will back off, take the ball to the by line and get your cross in because after that you will not touch the ball again. '

Sure enough the first time the ball came to Norman, Santos did back off and Norman was able to get his cross in. In fact England nearly scored from that cross.

And yes, you've guessed it, he didn't touch the ball again for the rest of the match.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #39032 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »

Great Aldi stories.  I have always been interested in their story.  Back in my corporate monkey days as a Chartered Accountant in the late 90s when i was getting bored of it and coming to terms with the fact i was never going to be able to spend 45 years of my life being a bean counter i was always an avid reader of the Sunday times recruitment section (just before i saw the bet365 advert for graduates in the Racing Post).  Back then obviously no internet recruitment like today and the vast majority of decent jobs were advertising in the Sunday Times.    How different that is in 2014.  The recruitment section in the ST now is barely worth reading.

Aldi always had an advert every week for recent graduates paying huge amounts of cash relatively in those days compared to other graduate level jobs to become a trainee regional manager.  After one incredibly dull week at Grant Thornton i couldn't resist applying just to see how they could pay such huge cash and ended up getting an interview.  Think the package was someone like £48k plus an audi back in 1998 which doesn't sound like a lot now but back then it was quite immense for a 23 year old.

I got invited to an interview in Darlington at one of their regional 's even though i was based in Kettering 200 miles away.  I drove up and got top level mileage allowance paid in cash on the day for the interview and was amazing at how efficent the whole operation was.  Nothing remotely flash about it and after about an hour i realised it was probably going to be even more dull than bean counting for a living but it was an interesting experience none the less.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39033 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »

How ironic

George Harrison memorial tree killed by infestation of beetles

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/78702

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39034 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »

The day I died on TV.......

I have to preserve this, for posterity, or whatever "posterity" means in blonde terms.

After my admittedly cringeworthy little joke, the Show got an e-Mail from a Pro Golf Blogger suggesting I should know that the Nike logo was a SWOOSH......

Yesterday, this appeared on You Tube, under....

"Betting Guy Hasn't a Clue About Nike"

My colleagues in the Studio did the deadpan thing, not, it seems, without much difficulty.

On You Tube, Stan James Boomakers commented "this presenter must be the most uninformed man in the WORLD!!!"

Oh dear. Oh deary deary dear......

Brilliant, love it!

Thanks Mr D.

You can't make this stuff up. If I write a Blog & sweat it really hard on Social Media & whatnot, I'm very happy if I can get 2,000 views. And yet that accidental out-take by someone else now has 6,500 views, lol.

The nice chaps at Stan James missed the pun/joke & had a bit of a pop, but I guess they eventually worked it out & have now deleted their snipey comments.

Really ironic they described me as "uninformed", & yet closed my Stan James account because I made too much money betting with them. They had 3 markets on Televised football matches which all had the wrong line, & it was an "over/under" thing. They repeated the error on every single game, all season. I had the same bet on every single game, always bet "over", & bet on all three markets. I always bet the same amount, £40 on each market, so 3 x £40, & even though the bets were very profitable in % terms, I never upped the stakes. 

The prices were always 9/10 & 9/10, so it had a nice margin built in, & so were bad odds for a punter, or should have been if they had the lines right. Even so, I made a healthy profit betting all 3 markets, game after game, "blind".   

Then they wrote to me to inform me that they were closing my Account. All they had to do was correct their lines.....

Anyway, how are things at BetClic/Everest? I saw a good bit of Sam in Vegas, proudly wearing the patch. Give my regards to Blandy, please.

The online poker landscape is changing rapidly, & experiencing negative growth, but Next Door are experiencing something of a mini-boom, even during the World Cup surprisingly, much aided by the Apps & Mobile. Mobile is going to be HUGE. Might just be good for Online Poker, too, as it is largely a tool for recreationals.

Have you seen the new Party Poker "Fast Forward" (as in "Fastfold") swipe technology? Wow, really like that, that's going to shake the mobile market up I fancy. So good, but so obvious, really.

I was about to retire after the February UKPC, it was so stressful in so many ways, but such a success, it seemed a good time to hang up my boots, but then I ended up helping to broker the 6-Max UKPC renewal, & off I went again on the old whirlygig. I'll never learn.

Hope all is well with you & yours. I'll get to an APAT event one of these days, I promise.

Did you pull this face when you used it?

Ha!

Not quite, but God bless Mr Sexton, who, really, is quite a poker institution in his own right. Have to say, that ad is a wee bit naff & dated, to put it mildly. But if it works, I won't knock it.

As a person, I can take him or leave him, & what he has "done for poker" has been, not unreasonably, for his own ends, but he has been a tremendous ambassador for poker. We must always remember that good "Poker Ambassadors" reach outside of the hardcore poker world to the "interested" target market who are so very important. These are the seedcorn. See also Miss Coren.

Surprisingly, as I thought he was quite old, Mr Sexton & I are of the same age, bar a fortnight. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39035 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »

Ha, I'm telling the truth (this time) Alun.

Mike Sexton & I are the same age, or more precisely, he is 12 days my junior. He looks older than me though, right?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39036 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

Will reply to boo & ArgueBoy tomorrow, I got pokerrrrrr to playyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

When I'm due to start a poker session, I'm like a kid on Xmas morning, I'm so excited, & I can't wait to start.

And I savour every card dealt, every flop, turn & river, & marvel at the sheer ability of 52 cards to endlessly surprise. It's not that I play for big money, not at all, I'll invest around £150 tonight, & I'll get back, usually, a number within £25 or £30 of that. But a £25 or £30 win gives me more satisfaction than I could ever explain. I do that "supposing I won £25 a night every night of the year, that'd be Vegas next year taken care of" thing. I've been back on the tables since July 1st, & I've already got enough for a Taxi to Gatters.

It's also time I grew up, I think.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39037 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:04 AM »

Mike Sexton & I are the same age, or more precisely, he is 12 days my junior. He looks older than me though, right?

Yes that is definitely what I meant.

Where is the sarcasm font?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39038 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »

Yes that is definitely what I meant.

Where is the sarcasm font?

Bugger, this time it was me who got swooshed.......

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39039 on: July 23, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »

Mention was made on Fred this morning of the Commonwealth Games, which start tonight.

I have one of those daft human interest stories to relate, but I spared the Freddies, as they just want to do degen suff. My occasional Diary reader, however, is more used to my flights of fancy.

So.....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39040 on: July 23, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »

Last Saturday, I was at the Heathrow Express station @ Heathrow (don't even ask....), awaiting the next Paddington Express, & I happened upoon a very eldely couple, both appeared to be in their 80's, both carrying a suitcase, looking somewhat lost & bewildered.

"You OK chap?" I enquired, as you do when you see old folks looking a bit non-plussed.

"We are a bit confused", says the chap, "we want to get up to London, Park Lane, what train do we need?" 

I explained, enthusiastically & at length, as you can imagine, chapter & verse what trains to & from where.

"Ooh, you are most kind, tyvm" etc.

He spoke in a rich Aussie accent, & it seemed a little rude not to engage a little further.

"Where have you come from?"

"Australia, on the Qantas flight"

"Oh my, the magnificent A380?"

"The A what?"

"Never mind. Long flight then?"

"Yes, 26 hours, but we had a 2 hour stopover in Dubai"

Amd I'm thinking, wow, these doddery old sods have just endured a 26 hour flight, & still seem quite chipper.

"That's a proper long flight old chap, you must be exhausted?"

"No, it's not too bad, but we are not done yet, tomorrow we fly to Paris, & on Tuesday we fly to Glasgow".

"Good Lord, London, Paris, yes yes, but why on earth would you go to Glasgow of all places?" I enquired, a tad tongue in cheek.

"Commonwealth Games"

"Oh, you enjoy Athletics, & come across to cheer on the Aussies? You must be very keen"

"Well sort of, yes, I'm a coach & I have a girl running in one of the Events".

"Really? How wonderful. What is your name, if I may ask?".

"Pat Clohessy".

Feigning interest, & knowledge of Athletics, I wished him & his runner well, & that was that. I last saw him & his wifey when I disembarked, slowly ambling up Platform 6 @ Paddington, pulling their little suitcases on wheels, continuing their epic journey.

Curiosity got the better of me when I got home, & with the breathtaking reach & power of the Internet, I managed to find the Gent, who, it seems, is quite a legend in Australian Athletics, no mean runner in his day, coached a whole generation of Aussies,  and is even a Member of "Sport Australia Hall of Fame". Amongst a host of others, he coached the great Rob de Castella, & Simon Doyle.

Here is his entry....

http://www.sahof.org.au/hall-of-fame/member-profile/?memberID=42&memberType=athlete

And this is Pat & his wife, though this was taken 17 years ago.

Age, inevitably, has taken it's toll, & Pat has paid that bill in full, now being a bit wrinklie, stoopy, & shrivelled up, as most 80 odd year olds are I suppose. Still able to fly round the world & be cheerful, though, which is more than I'd be after 26 hours in an A what.

And his girlie runner?

Her name is Brittany McGowan.

I've absolutely no idea if she is any good, or has even the remotest chance of a Medal, but I so want her to do Pat proud.

Strange how you just bump into someone, & it leaves an endearing memory. Pretty powerful tool, that internet thing, too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:47:31 AM by tikay » Logged

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39041 on: July 23, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »

"We are a bit confused", says the chap, "we want to get up to London, Park Lane, what train do we need?" 

I explained, enthusiastically & at length, as you can imagine, chapter & verse what trains to & from where.

Which route did you suggest?

What a cliffhanger for the diary.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39042 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »

Which route did you suggest?

What a cliffhanger for the diary.

I spared you, as that would have made for a lengthy Post.

I gave him all the options, obviously. Pretty sure he nodded off whilst I worked through them.

I must say, that Heathrow Express, whilst well expensive, is very busy these days, there was barely a seat to spare. It is owned by Heathrow Airport, nothing to do with Network Rail. 

My journey was Hampton Court to Windsor, which is about 6 miles as the crow flies, & 15 mins in the car, but I went on the train via Hatton Cross, Heathrow, Paddington, Slough & thence Windsor & Eton Central, so 8 train journeys in total, & 2 hours each way.

Living the dream, though hardly Sydney-London-Paris-Glasgow in an A what.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:09:48 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39043 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »

The talk of friendly football matches reminded me of this story that Norman Deeley told me.

Norman was a winger for Wolves in the 50's. His debut for England was against Brazil and Nrman would be up against the Brazil fullback Santos.

Before the game Santos introduced himself to Norman and said

' I understand this is your debut Norman. When you get the ball for the first time I will back off, take the ball to the by line and get your cross in because after that you will not touch the ball again. '

Sure enough the first time the ball came to Norman, Santos did back off and Norman was able to get his cross in. In fact England nearly scored from that cross.

And yes, you've guessed it, he didn't touch the ball again for the rest of the match.

What a lovely story. How did you come to know Norman?

As a youngster, Wolves were "my team", & they were the first to play under floodlights on TV, & often entertained the great teams of the time, Dynamo Moscow & the like.

I could probably still name their entire team, which included my then hero Billy Wright.

The Manager, Stan Cullis, played for Wolves for 13 years & then managed them for another 16, which would never happen in today's short-sighted times.

Broadbent & Norman Deeley were my other two Wolves favourites, & Norman scored twice in the first televised Cup Final I recall seeing. Pretty sure the commentator was Kenneth Wolstenholme. Football was only televised once or twice a year then, tops.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39044 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »

How ironic

George Harrison memorial tree killed by infestation of beetles

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/78702

Yes, a certain irony to that.

It was a bit of a shock to me to realise that George Harrison has been dead 13 years. My 2 favourite Beatles, by far, both long gone.

Pages: 1 ... 2599 2600 2601 2602 [2603] 2604 2605 2606 2607 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: