blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:26:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2777 2778 2779 2780 [2781] 2782 2783 2784 2785 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6321798 times)
CoxyLboro
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #41700 on: May 20, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »

Nope, never heard of that, Rod.

However, the real problem with reinforced concrete is when the internal rebar gets accessed by water, rusts, expands, & "pops" or "spalls" the surface. This solution won't cure that, which is the real problem.

What did impress was this rather breathtaking throwaway line.......

but concrete has never been more popular than today, with China using more of the stuff in the last three years than the United States in the last century

That is, if true, extraordinary. Not sure how they would know, mind.

I can't believe after all these years, I have finally registered on blonde to discuss concrete...

Self-healing concrete prevents rebar corrosion by resealing cracks that form from weathering and/or flexural stress, before the cracks reach the rebar to expose them to water and oxygen.

The stat about China is also true, but rather than solely from their enormous growth, its the collosal levels of inefficiencies that they employ when building multistoried buildings - thick concrete walls as internal partitioning, on over 70 floors. Even more comically, once the concrete has gone off and work is begun on higher floors, people are housed in the lower level apartments who immediately jack-hammer out the partitions they don't want. Building remains a construction site 5 years after completion and everyone gets cancer from cement inhalation. Magnificent.

Chris!

Welcome aboard, about time too.

Stick around mate, you'd be a great addition here, & I'm sure you'd enjoy parts of the site, particularly Poker Hand Analysis.

How are things? Still coaching?

What are your career plans after Uni?

Brief Introduction for others;

Chris Cox was one of the bigger players next door pre-Uni.

He won a Viva Las Vegas package about 4 or 5 years ago, so it fell to me to "host" Chris, his good lady, & the others in Vegas.

We had a proper ball.

Chris went again the next year, & spent a lot of time - & I mean a lot - at the Cash Tables.

He is, shall we say, a bit loose & gambly.......

He once sat on a 2p-4p No Limit Omaha Table Next Door with 5 other degens, & by the time the game broke, there was around £2,000 on the table. That's a 2p-4p table, with a max pull up of £4. You get the drift.

Lives near Swindon, or somewhere equally dreadful. Or might be Bath. Or somewhere.

He runs good with "swaps", too, taking a 10% swap with me in the UKPC Omaha two tables out, then promptly busting.  

Begin work in Manchester as part of the rail/transport/infrastructure department for an engineering company. Proper job, and all that.

I doubt I'd fare too well in the poker analysis forum, all these youngsters doing their crazy stuff is beyond anything I can cope with anymore!

Hope you are keeping well and may see you at DTD at some point for another successful* PLO swap.

*For some
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #41701 on: May 20, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »

play any sports seriously at lboro or just went for the civ eng?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41702 on: May 20, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »

Chris is solidly built, quite like yourself, ArgueBoy, or Red-Dog.

Does not strike me as overly athletic.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
CoxyLboro
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #41703 on: May 20, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »

Chris is solidly built, quite like yourself, ArgueBoy, or Red-Dog.

Does not strike me as overly athletic.

Scathing! I didn't do any sports at Lboro, which was my first university,  and continued to not do sports at my current university, which is Bath. I do however enjoy playing basketball and swimming a lot, contrary to my build!
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #41704 on: May 20, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »

I think Chris should tell the story of the hand that won him his vegas package.
MrDickie

View Profile
« Reply #41705 on: May 20, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »

CoxyLboro
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #41706 on: May 20, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »

Fairly non-descript if I remember correctly, picked up a few blinds here and there.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41707 on: May 20, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »

Fairly non-descript if I remember correctly, picked up a few blinds here and there.

Steady on Chris, nothing you do on a poker table could ever be described as nondescript.

Pretty sure we shared an SPT or UKPC Table at DTD when you raised 8 times in an orbit. Think it was the 6-Max Event.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41708 on: May 22, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »

When do you depart for the U S of A Tikay?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41709 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »

When do you depart for the U S of A Tikay?

Friday, David, or in my language, 5 more sleeps, or one more shop.

Pretty excited, to put it mildly.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #41710 on: May 24, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »

How many books are you taking for the trip Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41711 on: May 24, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »

How many books are you taking for the trip Smiley

One more than usual - your Moorman book is already in my suitcase. In fact it's the only thing that is packed so far.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41712 on: May 24, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »

I planned to go up to Foyles early this morning, to get some reading material for Vegas, I generally take 5 or 6, then read 2 or 3. The flight, 10 hours each way, is a great opportunity to read plenty. Luckily, I checked on google, & discovered Foyles does not open until Noon today, though you can browse from 11am.

I'll maybe go tomorrow.

In a departure from my "never read fiction" habit, I'm currently wrestling with Joseph Heller's "Catch 22", said to be one of the greatest pieces of writing this century.

It's a bit of a struggle, though, it is funny, & beautifully ironic, very clever, but it is written in what is, to me, a very weird style, with incomprehensibly long sentences, 90 or 100 words long in some cases.  

I may just have to quit, as I'm finding it very hard work.

I really dislike giving up on a book part way through, but it's a meaty tome, & I have so many other books I want to read, especially factual stuff.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41713 on: May 24, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »

My annual Pre-Vegas diet ends in 5 days.

Slightly disappointed, I was hoping to get down to 12-7, but I'm currently 12-12, so not a disaster, & I feel a lot better for it. Not touched a Rennie since the diet started, either.

I began in earnest on Easter Monday, & since then I've had exactly the same every day, without a single exception. Every afternoon, 4 Ryvita with Phili-Lite & sliced fresh toms, with a Diet Cup-A-Soup, then an evening meal of cod loins, marrowfat peas & tinned toms, followed by a giant bowl of fresh grapes. My weakness has been lattes, at least 2 every day, which can't help much, but I'm hopelessly addicted.

The diet ends, by tradition almost, at Gatters on Friday morning, with the biggest fry-up I can buy. Might just buy a couple of pork pies to eat on the journey, too. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41714 on: May 24, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »

Weird how many Guests view this.

7 Guests are viewing this topic

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:40:44 AM by tikay » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 2777 2778 2779 2780 [2781] 2782 2783 2784 2785 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: