blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3132 3133 3134 3135 [3136] 3137 3138 3139 3140 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6320249 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47025 on: September 25, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »

How come people like Robbie don't buy their houses somewhere like Cheadle? They would get a much better place for their money and have enough left over for one of those pies every other week.

£10mil:

Surrounded by 6000 acre sporting estate. The chance to do a McNab on your own land....

That's just beautiful.

It puts me in mind of John Kirkland's place, which is called The Grange, Wigwell, nr Wirksworth. He has several thousand acres, too, which he rents to farmers at a peppercorn rent. He has no desire to use that land, but just does not want his property to be invaded by other developments or people. It is, in effect, a moat.

And here's the thing - despite google being all seeing, there are no photos of his place on google Images, almost none at all. I guess it'll be visible on google Earth or whatever it's called, but I don't have that.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:01:36 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47026 on: September 25, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »

tbf, that pie looked plenty big enough for two.  With quality ingredients and equally importantly, an absence of poor quality ingredients, it all seems very fair.  I might try one before you do.

No, the photos are misleading Simon, they are individual pies. I'd probably have 2.

Go for the family size Steak & Kidney one - it claims to be "4 portions" & is a snip at  £39.40, though you also have to pay a £15 deposit on the dish.

https://www.lidgates.com/order/pies/large-pies

That baby is on my Bucket List, trust me.

Incidentally, Lidgate's describes itself as a "Butcher & Charcutier".

A what? (Unless your name is Tal or Tighty).

So I had to look that up.

Here you go......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47027 on: September 25, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »

Morrisons steak n kidney pies £3 each or two for a fiver pretty deece too - Sunday afternoon return from the club - ex service mans not whites or garricks ! Roast taters in oven ,15 mins later pie in oven ,30 mins later carrots n broccoli in veg steamer ,55 mins later make gravy 60 mins later dish up yum yum
75 mins later nod off on sofa Smiley
Or tescos similar price the gourmet one has 47% meat in the finest 42% n it's £1 cheaper - spotted by my my gf who loves a bargain the other week

So what is the other 53%/58%?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47028 on: September 25, 2016, 12:03:21 PM »

Where's the deepstack gone?

F**k you Percy.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #47029 on: September 25, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »

Morrisons steak n kidney pies £3 each or two for a fiver pretty deece too - Sunday afternoon return from the club - ex service mans not whites or garricks ! Roast taters in oven ,15 mins later pie in oven ,30 mins later carrots n broccoli in veg steamer ,55 mins later make gravy 60 mins later dish up yum yum
75 mins later nod off on sofa Smiley
Or tescos similar price the gourmet one has 47% meat in the finest 42% n it's £1 cheaper - spotted by my my gf who loves a bargain the other week

So what is the other 53%/58%?

Fortified wheat flour
Vegetable oil
Black sheep ale
Water
Onion
Pork lard
Corn flour
 Maize
Seasoning

Salt
Beef stock
Beef gelatine
Whole egg powder
Flour treatment agent !!
The mind boggles
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47030 on: September 25, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »

Where's the deepstack gone?

This somewhat cryptic note from my plump friend refers to the current position Next Door.

A new MTT schedule is being introduced, & in fact the whole schedule refreshed, changed, added & generally adjusted as necessary. Well overdue, too.

It'll be fine, but during the change period, which will be complete by October 1st (it's being done daily) there's a whole lot of hooting & hollering going off.

One little MTT (£2.20 to enter) was moved by 5 minutes (FIVE MINUTES) & resulted in 47 posts of complaint on 4 different threads. One chap - not a High Maintenance sort by any means, a good guy - posted about one minor change on 5 (FIVE) threads in 10 minutes.

Bit of an own goal in a way, as it is always best to communicate these things up front, poker players get very precious about their "own" Tourneys.

So I've addressed that by announcing all the changes in advance, & that has calmed things down a lot.

It'll get worse before it gets better though, as the nightly Main Events are being changed, amended, or generally refreshed. That'll go down a storm, you can bet on that. It'll be fine in a few weeks, but it'll be a fun few weeks.

I related the true story of it being similar to when a supermarket moves product around, & we can't find stuff.  And it is exactly that.

My local Tesco did exactly that a few weeks ago, & I saw a woman mentally implode. "If I see ONE MORE THING that has changed or moved I'm going to have a nervous breakdown" she said to all & sundry with a quivering lip. I swear to God, she was near to tears. I go in there twice per week, & I still see her every day, & she's as happy as Larry.

A new Rewards Scheme was announced Next Door on June 1st last year, & everyone went apeshit. Within weeks, it had settled down, & traffic increased as a result of it.

Poker players eh? Can't be doing with them, me.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47031 on: September 25, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »

I went up to Leeds again on Thursday.

Arriving, as ever, nice & early for the 0735 from Kings Cross, I went outside for a breath of fresh air & a smoke, & spotted something which really tickled me.

Plant Hire firms - mechanical construction plant - is not exactly a sexy business, & the Companies all have pretty boring names.

Ashtead Plant

HSS

Aggreko

Hewden Stuart.

You get the drift.

Then I spotted this Plant Hire lorry trundling along the Euston Road.

Best Plant Hire name ever. (Official).

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47032 on: September 25, 2016, 12:27:42 PM »

Anyone else got any whimsical Company names?

Best entry gets a free photo of The Great Man, as he celebrates 20 years at the helm.

My word he looked happy yesterday. He turns 67 in less than a month, yet still has exuberance, enthusiasm & energy. Love to see that in folks of his age.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #47033 on: September 25, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »

How come people like Robbie don't buy their houses somewhere like Cheadle? They would get a much better place for their money and have enough left over for one of those pies every other week.

£10mil:

Surrounded by 6000 acre sporting estate. The chance to do a McNab on your own land....

That's just beautiful.

It puts me in mind of John Kirkland's place, which is called The Grange, Wigwell, nr Wirksworth. He has several thousand acres, too, which he rents to farmers at a peppercorn rent. He has no desire to use that land, but just does not want his property to be invaded by other developments or people. It is, in effect, a moat.

And here's the thing - despite google being all seeing, there are no photos of his place on google Images, almost none at all. I guess it'll be visible on google Earth or whatever it's called, but I don't have that.  

I think it'll be a bit more rugged up there in the hielans though Cheesy

I guess he wouldn't open the gates for the google car...

Click to see full-size image.

Couldn't keep out the satellite though...

Click to see full-size image.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47034 on: September 26, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

Oh my, well done Rod. I may bore everyone to tears with some of the memories those 2 photos evoke.

First, though, let me turn that second 'photo the right way up, it's making me giddy looking at it uppy down.

The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #47035 on: September 26, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »

Best entry gets a free photo of The Great Man, as he celebrates 20 years at the helm.

My word he looked happy yesterday. He turns 67 in less than a month, yet still has exuberance, enthusiasm & energy. Love to see that in folks of his age.

Local one to us is Worcester Trade Frames pretty standard until you see their vans etc and they use WTF. Quite assuming when you are doing peoples books and they have cheque stubs which simply say WTF, takes trainees a while to work out who it is.

However as a boring accountant I just went for my name when I named my company, although I did contemplate Wyche Accounts but thought it may imply you had a choice of accounts to present to HMRC.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47036 on: September 26, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »

Local one to us is Worcester Trade Frames pretty standard until you see their vans etc and they use WTF. Quite assuming when you are doing peoples books and they have cheque stubs which simply say WTF, takes trainees a while to work out who it is.

However as a boring accountant I just went for my name when I named my company, although I did contemplate Wyche Accounts but thought it may imply you had a choice of accounts to present to HMRC.

WTF?

On those lines, my car reg (by pure chance) is FML.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47037 on: September 26, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

Rod did well to find those photos of Wigwell Grange.

It's also not easy to find photos of JNK, but I was well pleased to come across this one today, a very rare photo indeed of John Kirkland (JNK) & his wife, Sheila (SVK), who are flanking a Lady who I don't recognise & is un-named in the original.  

It was taken in 2014  at the High Sheriff's Legal Service (the what?) at Derby Cathedral.

JNK has not changed a bit in the last 10 years. He had a facelift 10 years earlier, which actually aged him, but he looks pretty good now, all things considered - he is 77 years old, smokes 60 a day, takes no exercise, & sleeps just 4 hours per night.

John was always "John" to me, & given he generally & often referred to me as a "daft bugger" the informality seemed natural. In Company, of course, I referred to him as Mr Kirkland.

SVK, however, was always "Mrs Kirkland", I could not begin to imagine addressing her by her first name.  

I would estimate his wealth at north of £500 million.    

Love him to bits.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:49:13 PM by tikay » Logged

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #47038 on: September 26, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »

PL08FML is available for £250 or PL08POT for £499. Someone has nabbed PL08FFS.

I'm mostly in the Camel camp but could be tempted by the first.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47039 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »

PL08FML is available for £250 or PL08POT for £499. Someone has nabbed PL08FFS.

I'm mostly in the Camel camp but could be tempted by the first.

How much for IFOLD?

I'm struggling to think of a poker player (of any merit) who has a personal plate, tbh. None of my acquaintance, for sure.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:31:58 PM by tikay » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3132 3133 3134 3135 [3136] 3137 3138 3139 3140 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: