blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3379 3380 3381 3382 [3383] 3384 3385 3386 3387 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6297628 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50730 on: November 02, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »

Bad news incoming.

My Costa was presented in this cup on Tuesday, which was still in October.

Presumably we can soon expect all those dreadful TV ads by the Supermarkets of family dinners at Xmas, & Slade giving it large in the Shops.

There will be no escape.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50731 on: November 02, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »

Whilst in Dublin last weekend, amongst the EPT stragglers, most (well, all?) of whom were from Mainland Europe, I got asked the same question 3 times by youngsters. "Vot iz zat, have you been to a party or a vedding" they each said, pointing at my Poppy.

"Err, no, it's a Poppy".

"A poppy"?

"Yes, for Armistice Day".

"For vot?"

"We wear them to remember our dead".

"Ah, zis is gudden, ve see now".

It's a job to know what to say, really.

Blasts from the Past: edition II (gonna go all Super Bowl with this)

I'm going for diversity here. It also raises the question about UEFA/FIFA's poppy ban a couple of years back. They clearly hadn't a complete understanding for what it represents. Glad that common sense has prevailed after that hiccup, but tbh I think that this issue will resurface when there are just a handful of WWII survivors attending The Cenotaph.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50732 on: November 02, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »

Whilst in Dublin last weekend, amongst the EPT stragglers, most (well, all?) of whom were from Mainland Europe, I got asked the same question 3 times by youngsters. "Vot iz zat, have you been to a party or a vedding" they each said, pointing at my Poppy.

"Err, no, it's a Poppy".

"A poppy"?

"For vot?"

I'm going for diversity here. It also raises the question about UEFA/FIFA's poppy ban a couple of years back. They clearly hadn't a complete understanding for what it represents. Glad that common sense has prevailed after that hiccup, but tbh I think that this issue will resurface when there are just a handful of WWII survivors attending The Cenotaph.

It beggared belief that the utterly up their own arse UEFA banned such things.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #50733 on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »

"Err, no, it's a Poppy".

"A poppy"?

"For vot?"

It beggars belief that we commemorate those who fought for our freedom by forcing people to wear private remembrance symbols at public occasions.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50734 on: November 02, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »

I'd walk a mile in tight boots to avoid daft aggro, & I am very happy playing at Luton these days, a really great bunch of lads. But I managed to get involved in not one, but two, spots of bother down there last night.

After leaving Feltham, & being busy all day, I really fancied some cash-action, so rung up Jim McShane (77Dave) to ask if there were any seats likely to be available in the Dealers Choice, as I frequently do. He said there should be a seat soon, & he'd put my name on the list. I don't know the Rules at Luton about this, but Jim seemed to think that was allowed. I subsequently gathered that you can do that as long as you arrive within 1 hour, which I duly did.

I arrive, check the Board, & I'm "next up" for the DC, with "12.32" chalked against my name, which was when I rung up.

I find a seat in the £250 Hold'Em while I am waiting, & suddenly, I'm involved in a bit of grief.

I somehow get it all-in pre- all £250 - after a Raising war with a deep-stacker. I've got AK suited, & I flip my cards on their back before the Board is dealt. Matey Boy, holding A-Q it later transpired, keeps his cards concealed - his perfect right in a cash-game. I flop trips, but it comes 4 clubs, & I don't have a club. Matey Boy is studying his hand. We wait 5, 10, seconds. "Turn 'em over please mate" I say, "then we can see what you've got". It's a weird Board, all Paint almost, & 4 clubs, & to be fair, it's tough to see what's what, but I know I've got top trips. We wait another 10 seconds, but by now, Matey Boy is shaking his head, & about to muck it appears, & the Dealer starts to push the pot my way. "Turn your hand over mate, then we can see" I repeat. Suddenly, he produces the A of Clubs, & it's his Pot, fine. But the whole table are shooting black looks at him now, for his slow-roll. Which, to be honest, it was not - he just never realised he had it. Which is the whole point - when there is no more betting action, & the Board is out there, there is no excuse for not tabling - or mucking - your hand - reasonably promptly. A few words are exchanged along these lines, & so I decide to pop outside for a gasper, I don't want this crud spoling my evening by his poor manners & ignorance.

When I get back, he's apparently had enough of the comments from everyone, & has upped sticks & gone. Oops, but such is life, & the game continues in good spirit. One player less, thanks to tikay......

A few minutes later the Seat comes free on the Dealers Choice, & one of the players, knowing I'm (officially) next, calls me across. "Seat here for the Fish", thank you.

At which point, Ambro, a good mate, & huge fun, claims the Seat. "It's mine, I was here before tikay arrived". (which he was).

OK, OK, I'm not that fussed, I can wait, & I don't argue, there's a few words spoken by the players to Ambro, returned with interest. I really don't want the atmo marred, so I say, "look guys, leave it be, ty very much, but I'll take the next Seat". But Ambro is chuntering now, he's in full flow, & he's got the Seat. No probs.

Now Nina - who, I'm delighted to say, is back from Holiday (much missed) sees the situation. "Seat at the DC for tikay" she says. And it all goes off again, Ambro is getting hot under the collar, I'm sat at the Hold 'Em Table, somewhat embarrassed. "Ambro, I'm not fusssed, you have the seat Mate", but he's head-on with Nina, & it's all going off now. Eventually, she & he agree to differ, (it seems Jim was right, & players CAN book their seat provided the arrive within 60 minutes), & suddenly, Ambro gets up & walks out in a huff. Bloody hell, I just wanted a quiet evening with a bunch of mates......So that's two players less, thanks to tikay......

Now, Nina says "come on tikay, it's your seat, it's empty" & I skulk acrosss, feeling rather bad.

Why is everyone so tetchy about everything these days? It seems the world & his wife go looking for aggro. Sheesh.

I really ain't that fussed about such trivilaties, but everyone wants to go to war over the daftest things these days. It must be the e numbers.

Oh, & yes, I do sypmpathise entirely with Ambro, & told him, sincerely, that he could keep the Seat.

Blasts from the Past: Edition III

LOLZ, this could just as easily have happened last night in the new Luton G. There's still kerfuffles about the table waiting lists - especially if Lalit's involved
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50735 on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50736 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »

I'd walk a mile in tight boots to avoid daft aggro, & I am very happy playing at Luton these days, a really great bunch of lads. But I managed to get involved in not one, but two, spots of bother down there last night.

After leaving Feltham, & being busy all day, I really fancied some cash-action, so rung up Jim McShane (77Dave) to ask if there were any seats likely to be available in the Dealers Choice, as I frequently do. He said there should be a seat soon, & he'd put my name on the list. I don't know the Rules at Luton about this, but Jim seemed to think that was allowed. I subsequently gathered that you can do that as long as you arrive within 1 hour, which I duly did.

I arrive, check the Board, & I'm "next up" for the DC, with "12.32" chalked against my name, which was when I rung up.

I find a seat in the £250 Hold'Em while I am waiting, & suddenly, I'm involved in a bit of grief.

I somehow get it all-in pre- all £250 - after a Raising war with a deep-stacker. I've got AK suited, & I flip my cards on their back before the Board is dealt. Matey Boy, holding A-Q it later transpired, keeps his cards concealed - his perfect right in a cash-game. I flop trips, but it comes 4 clubs, & I don't have a club. Matey Boy is studying his hand. We wait 5, 10, seconds. "Turn 'em over please mate" I say, "then we can see what you've got". It's a weird Board, all Paint almost, & 4 clubs, & to be fair, it's tough to see what's what, but I know I've got top trips. We wait another 10 seconds, but by now, Matey Boy is shaking his head, & about to muck it appears, & the Dealer starts to push the pot my way. "Turn your hand over mate, then we can see" I repeat. Suddenly, he produces the A of Clubs, & it's his Pot, fine. But the whole table are shooting black looks at him now, for his slow-roll. Which, to be honest, it was not - he just never realised he had it. Which is the whole point - when there is no more betting action, & the Board is out there, there is no excuse for not tabling - or mucking - your hand - reasonably promptly. A few words are exchanged along these lines, & so I decide to pop outside for a gasper, I don't want this crud spoling my evening by his poor manners & ignorance.

When I get back, he's apparently had enough of the comments from everyone, & has upped sticks & gone. Oops, but such is life, & the game continues in good spirit. One player less, thanks to tikay......

A few minutes later the Seat comes free on the Dealers Choice, & one of the players, knowing I'm (officially) next, calls me across. "Seat here for the Fish", thank you.

At which point, Ambro, a good mate, & huge fun, claims the Seat. "It's mine, I was here before tikay arrived". (which he was).

OK, OK, I'm not that fussed, I can wait, & I don't argue, there's a few words spoken by the players to Ambro, returned with interest. I really don't want the atmo marred, so I say, "look guys, leave it be, ty very much, but I'll take the next Seat". But Ambro is chuntering now, he's in full flow, & he's got the Seat. No probs.

Now Nina - who, I'm delighted to say, is back from Holiday (much missed) sees the situation. "Seat at the DC for tikay" she says. And it all goes off again, Ambro is getting hot under the collar, I'm sat at the Hold 'Em Table, somewhat embarrassed. "Ambro, I'm not fusssed, you have the seat Mate", but he's head-on with Nina, & it's all going off now. Eventually, she & he agree to differ, (it seems Jim was right, & players CAN book their seat provided the arrive within 60 minutes), & suddenly, Ambro gets up & walks out in a huff. Bloody hell, I just wanted a quiet evening with a bunch of mates......So that's two players less, thanks to tikay......

Now, Nina says "come on tikay, it's your seat, it's empty" & I skulk acrosss, feeling rather bad.

Why is everyone so tetchy about everything these days? It seems the world & his wife go looking for aggro. Sheesh.

I really ain't that fussed about such trivilaties, but everyone wants to go to war over the daftest things these days. It must be the e numbers.

Oh, & yes, I do sypmpathise entirely with Ambro, & told him, sincerely, that he could keep the Seat.

LOLZ, this could just as easily have happened last night in the new Luton G. There's still kerfuffles about the table waiting lists - especially if Lalit's involved

When was the last time you came to luton tikay ?
Dc runs nearly every night.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #50737 on: November 03, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »

The fella with  doesn't know he has a flush with 4 clubs on the board?

I can see why you "really fancied some cash-action" Tikay.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #50738 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »

From 2007  lol it was generally like that most nights I went there
It’s one of many reasons why I never go there now n never will
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50739 on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »

"Err, no, it's a Poppy".

"A poppy"?

"For vot?"

It beggars belief that we commemorate those who fought for our freedom by forcing people to wear private remembrance symbols at public occasions.

100% agree, Rod.

Forcing people to wear a poppy & BANNING them wearing a poppy are, in a way, the same thing.

People should have the choice, & not be vilified for wearing, or not wearing, a poppy.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50740 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »

Crikey, is Lalit still playing at Luton?

How old is he now? Must be mid seventies, minimum?

I'm not sure I approve of old people, most of them are crushing bores. I liked Lalit though.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #50741 on: November 10, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »

Are you at the Next Door Poker Tour venue yet? What's your routine?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50742 on: November 10, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »

When was the last time you came to luton tikay ?
Dc runs nearly every night.

God knows Jim. 7, 8 years ago now?

I'm a little too old to be traipsing around cardrooms every night now, & my cash game skills - such as it ever was - has probably gone.

You still running the room there? How is it going, are you enjoying the game from the other side of the table?

I cringe when I read back my little rants about Luton & elsewhere over the years.

Truth is, whilst I loathed all the juvenile bickering, I probably enjoyed my time at G Luton more than almost anything else in my time in poker.

If it's not a sore point or painful memory, presumably your attempt to gain a Visa (Green Card?) to live in America floundered along the way?

I remember visiting the house you had in Vegas & thinking the whole thing was a poker players dream, & being very envious.

Ah well, life goes on.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50743 on: November 10, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »

Are you at the Next Door Poker Tour venue yet? What's your routine?

Not yet, I plan to arrive there at around 1 or 2pm, ready for the 4pm start.

I'm staying about 15 miles outside Brighton at a lovely little hotel near Hickstead. They have a fishing lake there, which is patrolled by a beautiful Grey Heron, so I'm hoping to spot him over the weekend.

SPT weekends are a mixture of excitement & dread for me. It's very hard in some ways, many poker players have rather unusual social skillsets, which have to be coped with for 3 x 14 hour days, & it can be quite wearing. Equally, I'm rather excited to be meeting so many friends & acquaintances again. My bosses will all be there, too, so I want them to see I'm doing a better job than anyone else possibly could.  And I do.

The room is all ready, & looking pretty good I think;

I shall be playing it on Day 1B (tomorrow, Saturday) & I'm looking forward to that. I played the last one (Manchester) & played rather well by my standards, but I ran Queens into Aces & could not find my fold button.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow. We may even end up sharing tables. There's a bounty on me, too - a very nice prize indeed, if I may say so.   

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50744 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

From 2007  lol it was generally like that most nights I went there
It’s one of many reasons why I never go there now n never will

I'm sure it's much better now Tony. Give it a try.

Pages: 1 ... 3379 3380 3381 3382 [3383] 3384 3385 3386 3387 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: