blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:16:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3382 3383 3384 3385 [3386] 3387 3388 3389 3390 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6320581 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50775 on: November 19, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »

Twitter is a mixed bag though, & can be the absolute pits, so here's a feel-bad story.

Please note, contains offensive language

Like all commercial organisations, SB&G, & specifically in this case, Sky Poker, use Twitter to promote their brand.

In fact, SB&G - like all it's competitor businesses - have a whole department devoted to Social-Media. Lots & lots of staff. I'm not entirely convinced it can be justified, but as long as the others do it, they do it. It's no big deal either way, is it?

There's rarely anything there to arouse one's excitement. This is no disrespect to my colleagues, but essentially, they are adverts, & nobody likes adverts. 

Here's a typical Sky Poker Tweet during SPT Brighton.

ELIMINATED!

tomkittendeans busts @ SenseiChanning and wins his golden bounty prize, an iPhone 7.

Click to see full-size image.

The context is that the "Team" - Mr Ambo, plus 4 of the Leeds based Sky Poker Staff, plus me, played SPT Brighton, & we all had "bounties" on our heads for whoever busted us, plus we each had a few hundred quids worth of spot prizes which we gave out for "fun play" or whatever.  In my case it was a £700 TV. Not life-changing, but it's handy enough for free.

Nothing to get exercised about there, one might think. I'm actually surprised anyone even looks at these photos to be honest.

And here are 3 of the comments (Tweeted replies) it attracted;

he's the boy sexy ***** what a bossss

Ffs sky not even a new iPhone , shitttttttt fuck

What a shit prize

I drove home from Brighton thinking about the people who made those Tweets, trying to imagine what their like is like, when they spend their Saturday evening's posting stuff like that. I mean, it was hardly controversial stuff, was it? Migrants & their families are dying every day in refugee camps or on the high seas, there was an earthquake in Iran a few days ago which barely made the 'papers, (400 died, but they were only Iranians....), and throwing acid at random people is the latest craze.  And yet these lads get exercised over a photograph like that.

Don't we live in odd times?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50776 on: November 19, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »

The most ridiculous thing about a dog getting a medal is the dog will get absolutely no pleasure from it.

The older I get, the better I was.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50777 on: November 19, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

The most ridiculous thing about a dog getting a medal is the dog will get absolutely no pleasure from it.

Human - 'Well done dog - you were very brave, here's a medal'

Dog - *sniffs medal*. 'WTF is this - I can't eat this'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #50778 on: November 19, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »

Best one is Simon, the only cat to win the Dickin medal. He was the ship's cat on HMS Amethyst.

Date of Award: awarded posthumously 1949

“Served on HMS Amethyst during the Yangtse Incident, disposing of many rats though wounded by shell blast. Throughout the incident his behaviour was of the highest order, although the blast was capable of making a hole over a foot in diameter in a steel plate.”

Reminds me of the scene in Carry on Up the Khyber, where the British are under attack but carry on eating.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #50779 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »

Which is jolly nice, of course, well done them. But surely it's pure instinct?

It gets better though;

It was once awarded to a cat. Why?

[i] HMS Amethyst's ship's cat, awarded for "gallantry under fire" and for the disposal of many rats despite shrapnel injuries during the Yangtze Incident in 1949 [/i]

All rather odd really.

I'm delighted for all those brave dogs, horses, pigeons & (solitary) cat, of course I am. And feel-good stories beat those dreadful "girl scarred for life in acid attack" stuff we see every day.  

But awards for bravery for pigeons & cats?

I'm struggling a bit with that.

Oh, & in case you think I'm making all this up, here you go, look for yourself;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal

I found this especially interesting Mr T. My father was the navigator on HMS London which was the ship that was sent up the Yangtse to rescue HMS Amethyst. He never spoke about the really brave cat that he helped rescue though.

[/quote]

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50780 on: November 19, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »

Here's a really weird story which caught my eye, it's a feel-good story with a twist I suppose.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42031729

Cliffs if you CBA to read that;

A "military dog", serving with the Royal Boat Squadron in Afghanistan, displayed "extreme bravery" by doing his work under fire from guns & grenades when the Military were storming an enemy stronghold.

He was badly injured 3 times - chest, leg, ears/mouth - but continued his work until the job was done.

As a result, he was awarded a Gallantry Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross, which is a pretty big deal.

Well that's rather nice, well done Dog.

I'm actually having a little difficulty convincing myself that a dog can be "brave" whilst on duty for the Army. It seems to me that it's all rather instinctive rather than
the dog saying to himself - "bugger this, I'm outa here", or "a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do".

But let's not argue too much. We (mostly) all love dogs, & this is a real feel-good story.

No complaints then.

But wait.......

In stark contrast, this one has just thrown up on, and ruined, a brand new carpet in the Crater household

Pompeynick

View Profile
« Reply #50781 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »

Twitter is a mixed bag though, & can be the absolute pits, so here's a feel-bad story.

Please note, contains offensive language

Like all commercial organisations, SB&G, & specifically in this case, Sky Poker, use Twitter to promote their brand.

In fact, SB&G - like all it's competitor businesses - have a whole department devoted to Social-Media. Lots & lots of staff. I'm not entirely convinced it can be justified, but as long as the others do it, they do it. It's no big deal either way, is it?

There's rarely anything there to arouse one's excitement. This is no disrespect to my colleagues, but essentially, they are adverts, & nobody likes adverts. 

Here's a typical Sky Poker Tweet during SPT Brighton.

ELIMINATED!

tomkittendeans busts @ SenseiChanning and wins his golden bounty prize, an iPhone 7.

The context is that the "Team" - Mr Ambo, plus 4 of the Leeds based Sky Poker Staff, plus me, played SPT Brighton, & we all had "bounties" on our heads for whoever busted us, plus we each had a few hundred quids worth of spot prizes which we gave out for "fun play" or whatever.  In my case it was a £700 TV. Not life-changing, but it's handy enough for free.

Nothing to get exercised about there, one might think. I'm actually surprised anyone even looks at these photos to be honest.

And here are 3 of the comments (Tweeted replies) it attracted;

he's the boy sexy ***** what a bossss

Ffs sky not even a new iPhone , shitttttttt fuck

What a shit prize

I drove home from Brighton thinking about the people who made those Tweets, trying to imagine what their like is like, when they spend their Saturday evening's posting stuff like that. I mean, it was hardly controversial stuff, was it? Migrants & their families are dying every day in refugee camps or on the high seas, there was an earthquake in Iran a few days ago which barely made the 'papers, (400 died, but they were only Iranians....), and throwing acid at random people is the latest craze.  And yet these lads get exercised over a photograph like that.

Don't we live in odd times?

Hi Tony,
I was sat on the same table when Sam lost his Bounty, I can tell you that the guy who knocked him out was very happy with his prize of an I-Pad.
The chap who knocked you out seemed to be pleased with his new television as well.
You may have to consider not playing QQ at the next SPT, you do not want to go for the hat trick do you
Nick

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #50782 on: November 20, 2017, 10:06:48 PM »

I once won an ipod shuffle when my AQ outdrew Marcus Bebb Jones' AK in a HU comp. On another occasion I was a cruel river away from a 25% share in a Vauxhall Corsa. 

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #50783 on: November 22, 2017, 04:37:51 AM »

Hi Tikay, cannot for the life of me work out how to post next door. I'm trying to do it from an iPad but am probably missing something very simple. Can you help?
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #50784 on: November 22, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »

Hi Tikay, cannot for the life of me work out how to post next door. I'm trying to do it from an iPad but am probably missing something very simple. Can you help?

All sorted, I logged out closed sky poker down and tried again and it worked.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #50785 on: November 22, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »

^ The old turn it off and on again trick, Tom would of been impressed  Smiley

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50786 on: November 22, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »

Money is the sincerest form of gratitude.

The older I get, the better I was.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #50787 on: November 22, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »

Aye. You can't spend a thank you.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #50788 on: November 22, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »

Or as my friends old Aunty used to put it ' you cant buy fk all with thanks '

Aye. You can't spend a thank you.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #50789 on: November 22, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »

Never get those quotes right  Angry

Pages: 1 ... 3382 3383 3384 3385 [3386] 3387 3388 3389 3390 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: