blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3387 3388 3389 3390 [3391] 3392 3393 3394 3395 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6295914 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50850 on: December 02, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »

Did you see those amazing photos in the week from the War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague?

Slobodan Praljak was being sentenced (GUILTY), & suddenly pulled out a phial of poison, downed it in one go, & died on the spot.

Not sure we should rejoice at anyone's death, but he more than most deserves little sympathy.

Incredibly cost-efficient though. Lock a bloke like that up in Jail for the next 20 years, & the cost probably runs into 7 figures. All that cost has just disappeared, just like that. 

Almost the perfect ending.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50851 on: December 02, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »

Have you ever thought about the technology behind Contactless payments?

It's incredibly fast. Wave your card near the terminal & it is INSTA approved, faster than the blink of an eye.

When you think back to "dial-up" - not that long ago - it's mind boggling. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #50852 on: December 02, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

In stark contrast, this one has just thrown up on, and ruined, a brand new carpet in the Crater household

If ever a dog could look guilty.......

Tell us more about the guilty party, Barry.

How old, name etc.

Same one as ever, this is Charlie, about to turn nine years old. About six months ago he started to slow down, was limping a lot, seemed deaf and unresponsive and we thought he was on his way out. Then we got him some medication (its the same one you may have seen on an advert on ITV), got about 4kgs off him, and he is like a puppy again. Hoping we can get him somewhere near 14 years old, which would be good for his breed etc.

Deffo one of the great joys of my life, I turn into a big kid when I'm around a dog.

Great stuff Barry, & long may he live.

I am SO tempted to go get me a dog, now that my life is changing & I'm at home 99% of the time.

Gill is dog mad too.

We were on a train recently, & a dead-ringer for your Charlie was sat opposite.

Gill put her hand down to kind of "invite" the dog across for a stroke. It looked up at it's owner for that almost imperceptible nod of approval, then came across to us.

Dogs are so tactile. Gill was stroking his head, but he had sat himself down resting his rump against my leg. Dogs do that, cats too, (no humping jokes please), they seem to understand touch & feel.   

Labradors are nice tony but they need a lot of excerise when younger ,then hardly any when older as their back end gives out
We have a now ten year old border terrier she is just perfect ,happy to go for a walk ,Miles with the Mrs less with me ,happy to lie next to you while you read .ours sleeps next to and indeed sometimes on the bed she is so In tune with us it’s unreal ,she’s fine with the cats too ,but golly she’s still a terrier 4 pheasants 15 chickens 15 hedgehogs a few rabbits n rats all dispatched in QT very robust n low maintenance too labradors eat all sorts n get the shits a lot I found !
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50853 on: December 03, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »

Labradors are nice tony but they need a lot of excerise when younger ,then hardly any when older as their back end gives out

This is true, it's not so much that Labs are energetic, it's that they are so damned intelligent they have to occupy themselves (this is one of the reasons why they make such good working dogs). When it comes to energy there is literally a dog type for every person, just needs a bit of research.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50854 on: December 03, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »

Did you see those amazing photos in the week from the War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague?

Slobodan Praljak was being sentenced (GUILTY), & suddenly pulled out a phial of poison, downed it in one go, & died on the spot.

Not sure we should rejoice at anyone's death, but he more than most deserves little sympathy.

Incredibly cost-efficient though. Lock a bloke like that up in Jail for the next 20 years, & the cost probably runs into 7 figures. All that cost has just disappeared, just like that. 

It was one of the most remarkable things I've seen in years, and maybe even more remarkable was how it was placed maybe 4th down in most news cycles for the craziest story of the day. The fact that the guy was such a huge imposing larger than life figure (Like Brian Blessed) and also how his hand was shaking when he drank it, I'm not sure I'll ever forget it.

Stuff like that always me think that he has 'won' in that he went out on his terms. Like Rolf Harris or Bill Cosby, they both lived such a full rich life and only their ending spoiled (for them) also makes me think they 'got away' with their crimes.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #50855 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »

Nice gesture, I thought.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50856 on: December 03, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »

Nice gesture, I thought.

Excellent! I love Aldi & Lidl.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50857 on: December 03, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42151043

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50858 on: December 03, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »

^^^^^

Agree, that's excellent, very well done Aldi.

I know a lot about the Aldi culture, & could almost write a book about them. An astounding company by any standards, but a very unusual one.

The "ALDI" brand is actually two completely separate companies, Aldi North & Aldi South. Although both companies are global, the North & South refers to their operations in their home nation, Germany.

The name Aldi descends from the founders, who were brothers with the surname Albrecht, hence Albrecht Discount became ALDI. Neither are connected with the business these days, mainly because both are dead.  

They sort of fell out over policy back in the 1960's, but the fallout was semi-amicable, so they set up separate organisations, but still pooled their buying & marketing resources, an arrangement which persists to this day.

Karl Albrecht was easily the richest man in Germany. Brother Theo was kidnapped in the early 70's, after which both brothers became reclusive & were rarely seen in public.

The business is famously frugal & practical in every way.

Their offices are very Teutonic in every way.

Smart, clean & functional. No papers or oddments must be left overnight on desks, desks must be empty at night. No personal mementos, family photos, nothing, just bare & functional.  

On my first visit to their UK Headquarters, eager to impress & secure their Property Maintenance business, I made the mistake of placing my briefcase on the floor, & was promptly given a sermon. "Floors are for walking on, not for cluttering with briefcases". Err, sorry.

I eventually won the Contract for all their UK Property Maintenance & Shopfitting, though they had far less UK Stores then of course.

When they asked me to do something, there was no question of arguing or saying "no".

"Remove the 200 year old oak tree in the middle of the Old Kent Road Aldi superstore".

But it has a TPO (Tree Protection Order).

Did you not hear me? If you can't, I'll get someone who will.

I once had an order to cut down over 40 trees on a development site in Chelmsford for them, it was like a military operation, the Council were issuing TPO's at Noon & I could not start before 9am due to the noise 8 chainsaws would make. They had paid half a milly for the plot of land. With the trees on, it was not worth a penny, with the trees gone it was a new Supermarket worth millions.

When a group of Travellers parked up in their Luton Store Car Park, the MD rung me. "I want them gone by 9am tomorrow". Just like that. Err, no problem.

For new Store Openings, I had the contract to post "Flyers" overnight on lamp posts & street signs all over town. We'd start work at 2am & have it done by 5am. Usually, by 10am the Council would get a Court Order to have them removed, so we'd then take them all down again.  Amazing how many cable ties we used on those gigs.

Yikes, I'm rambling.

Move on, next case.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:27:04 AM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50859 on: December 03, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »

Wow, I once looked at that cottage on Cromford Railway Station with the idea of buying it.

Lovely stuff Tom. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50860 on: December 03, 2017, 11:35:17 AM »

It was one of the most remarkable things I've seen in years, and maybe even more remarkable was how it was placed maybe 4th down in most news cycles for the craziest story of the day. The fact that the guy was such a huge imposing larger than life figure (Like Brian Blessed) and also how his hand was shaking when he drank it, I'm not sure I'll ever forget it.

Stuff like that always me think that he has 'won' in that he went out on his terms. Like Rolf Harris or Bill Cosby, they both lived such a full rich life and only their ending spoiled (for them) also makes me think they 'got away' with their crimes.

One of the most astounding photos of 2017, it said so much.

I've not stopped thinking about it, it has so many ironies & paradoxes.

In his spot, I hope I'd have the courage to do the same. Everyone's a winner.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50861 on: December 03, 2017, 12:34:39 PM »

One of the more unusual photos you will ever see from a Test Match.

No idea what Wisden, or Tighty will make of it.

Smog stopped play in the Test Match between India & Sri Lanka in Delhi today.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #50862 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »

World's largest Starbucks opens in Shanghai.

It's big...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/business/starbucks-shanghai.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/czFIcXxmNy

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50863 on: December 07, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »

But as it’s Starbucks, describing it as ‘big’ presumably means it’s actually medium-sized and there’s a bigger one
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50864 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »

Wow, look at the crowds outside, & the queues to get in.

Starbucks is not cheap, so it's not that. In fact I'd hazard a guess that before overheads etc, a Starbucks Coffee can be made for about 50 or 60p, but sells at 5 times that.

We pay all that money for a Starbucks, or a bottle of "branded" water. I think it's a social thing, like Facebook, Snapchat or whatever. What a world we live in, or at least most of us when so many can pay £3 or whatever for a coffee, when there are several Refugee Camps which have populations greater than 250,000, & the inhabitants are grateful for free dirty water.

I never use Starbucks when in London, I prefer Costa, in fact, ideally I prefer those Costa machines in petrol stations & £ H Smith, as it is quicker. 

I guess my affection for Starbucks comes from memory association with things I like - Vegas. I associate Starbucks with loving life in Vegas.

Amazing company though. They are opening Stores in China at the rate of one every 15 hours. Incredible.

Pages: 1 ... 3387 3388 3389 3390 [3391] 3392 3393 3394 3395 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: