blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3711 3712 3713 3714 [3715] 3716 3717 3718 3719 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296233 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #55710 on: July 24, 2021, 08:45:41 AM »

Here's the range of answers given. (Ignore the first 3 or 4 replies).

So what is the correct answer, & why?

PEMDAS.  Despite knowing this, still very easy to slip up when working one out under the gun.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55711 on: July 24, 2021, 09:06:20 AM »

PEMDAS.  Despite knowing this, still very easy to slip up when working one out under the gun.

Good lord, great to hear from you Mr G. How's your health these days?

It was not until I saw that Twitter thread that I even knew of PEMDAS. And BODMAS.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55712 on: July 24, 2021, 12:45:16 PM »

Wow, just wow.

I saw this when I had my early morning peruse of Twitter this morning & it cheered me up no end. You are looking great Mr P, in fact I never recognized you at first, I had to stare at the photo for fully 30 seconds before the penny dropped. Hopefully your recovery from the heart incident a few months ago has gone well.

PS - hope you don't mind me posting this, but you put it on Twitter so I sort of thought you would not mind.

Oh my various Gods! I've never seen him looking so well.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #55713 on: July 24, 2021, 04:39:38 PM »

https://twitter.com/xclaudius/status/1418026819845074948

How on earth did 26% of the people who responded think the answer was 13?

In my world, we have a sequence for performing the various calculations required.
Brackets, (powers) Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. We were taught it as BODMAS. **

So, 2x4 = 8
8 + 2 = 10.

Some may claim that the process should be left to right, which gives 2 + 2 = 4, leading to 4x4 = 16. The people who claim this are wrong.

I have no idea how anyone gets an odd number as the answer.

** That Twitter thread refers to PEDMAS, which is just a new way of saying the same thing. Parentheses, Exponents, …

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55714 on: July 24, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »

In my world, we have a sequence for performing the various calculations required.
Brackets, (powers) Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. We were taught it as BODMAS. **

So, 2x4 = 8
8 + 2 = 10.

Some may claim that the process should be left to right, which gives 2 + 2 = 4, leading to 4x4 = 16. The people who claim this are wrong.

** That Twitter thread refers to PEDMAS, which is just a new way of saying the same thing. Parentheses, Exponents, …

I thought the answer might well be 10 - but didn't think it was obvious.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #55715 on: July 24, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »

So, 2x4 = 8
8 + 2 = 10.

I thought the answer might well be 10 - but didn't think it was obvious.

These sort of questions on social media usually revolve around an ambigiously phrased question - i.e. they're written badly to provoke people into arguing about it - but this is incredibly straightforward and I was very confused by Tikays image.

Until I clicked on the link and found that it was shared specifically because of what confused me - the correct answer isn't one of the options.

I think the funniest thing in that twitter thread was someone who not only tweeted that it was 'obviously' 16 but that essentially anybody who didn't get that answer was a moron and should go back to kindergarten.

When it was pointed out to him that in school they'd be taught the method which results in 10 he defended himself by saying that he knew how it was taught but that it was taught wrong and that was the problem with "math" that it was unnecessarily complicated. Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Kid Grimsby

View Profile
« Reply #55716 on: July 24, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »

Hi Tony,

We've decided to wait until Spring next year before we get across the pond, but I notice a lot of people desperate to get there are doing 2 weeks in Mexico, then
flying into the states with a valid PCR test; this gets around the 14 day UK recidency ban for the states.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #55717 on: July 25, 2021, 08:29:02 AM »

So, 2x4 = 8
8 + 2 = 10.

Morning all,

My 10 year old twins didn’t have any problem getting the correct answer of 10 but it’s taught in schools as BIDMAS now.

The I is indices.

xx
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55718 on: July 25, 2021, 10:01:19 AM »

So, 2x4 = 8
8 + 2 = 10.

Morning all,

My 10 year old twins didn’t have any problem getting the correct answer of 10 but it’s taught in schools as BIDMAS now.

The I is indices.

xx

Wow, the girls are TEN now? Are you sure? They'll be chasing boys soon.

Seems like I'm the only one who thought the answer was 16. A whole lifetime behind me & until yesterday I'd never heard of BODMAS, PEMDAS & now BIDMAS.

Hope all is well with you & yours, great to hear from you.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #55719 on: July 25, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »

I thought it was 16. That's the way we were taught in the 80s. Work from left to right unless anyhing is in parentheses.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55720 on: July 25, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »

I thought it was 16. That's the way we were taught in the 80s. Work from left to right unless anyhing is in parentheses.

You were still at school in the eighties?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55721 on: July 25, 2021, 01:16:06 PM »

One for Marky.

After T J Dillishaw won his comeback fight last night against Cory Sandhagen, the interviewer thrust a microphone in his face & T J gave it the old....

"Daddy's home, bitches"

Not a line we often hear in golf or cricket.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #55722 on: July 25, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »

Haha, that was a really good fight, and was surprised how good TJ looked after over 2 years out of action.

Got to sell it a bit now, he's taking to his heel spot well enough.

Some cut he got, and that was very early in the fight, too.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55723 on: July 31, 2021, 06:16:10 PM »

Wow, just wow.

I saw this when I had my early morning peruse of Twitter this morning & it cheered me up no end. You are looking great Mr P, in fact I never recognized you at first, I had to stare at the photo for fully 30 seconds before the penny dropped. Hopefully your recovery from the heart incident a few months ago has gone well.

PS - hope you don't mind me posting this, but you put it on Twitter so I sort of thought you would not mind.

Dont want to upset him but when I first saw it I thought it was Chompy!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #55724 on: July 31, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »

Wow, just wow.

Dont want to upset him but when I first saw it I thought it was Chompy!

+1 i thought exactly the same thing!  Crazy to think someone looks like Chompy and is looking in fine fettle. 
Pages: 1 ... 3711 3712 3713 3714 [3715] 3716 3717 3718 3719 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: