blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3712 3713 3714 3715 [3716] 3717 3718 3719 3720 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296083 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #55725 on: August 02, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »

Seems like I'm the only one who thought the answer was 16. A whole lifetime behind me & until yesterday I'd never heard of BODMAS, PEMDAS & now BIDMAS.

I hadn't heard of it either until I did a OU probability course in the 90s. I'd guess that I missed it for some reason and teachers being sh1te even at the "good school" I attended, didn't bother making sure that pupils caught up if they were off.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55726 on: August 02, 2021, 02:25:01 PM »

Seems like I'm the only one who thought the answer was 16. A whole lifetime behind me & until yesterday I'd never heard of BODMAS, PEMDAS & now BIDMAS.

I hadn't heard of it either until I did a OU probability course in the 90s. I'd guess that I missed it for some reason and teachers being sh1te even at the "good school" I attended, didn't bother making sure that pupils caught up if they were off.

I have no idea what people are talking about here. Am I missing out?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55727 on: August 02, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »

If you know the answer to 2 + 2 x 4 you don't need to worry. (Clue, it's not 16).

If you don't, scroll back two pages.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55728 on: August 02, 2021, 03:12:21 PM »

If you know the answer to 2 + 2 x 4 you don't need to worry. (Clue, it's not 16).

If you don't, scroll back two pages.

If it isn't 16 then yes, I don't know.

Can anyone come up with a situation where the "proper" answer will be useful to me?

For instance, will it make me capable of convincing someone I owe 16 quid to that I only owe them a tenner?

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #55729 on: August 02, 2021, 03:21:49 PM »

It is actually only about algebra ie if you wanted to create a formula to calculate the cost of axles with a flat rate delivery charge.

a=axle cost

b=number

c= flat rate delivery charge

the formula would be

a x b +c

So you could in fact charge someone more if they were daft.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55730 on: August 02, 2021, 04:30:59 PM »

It is actually only about algebra ie if you wanted to create a formula to calculate the cost of axles with a flat rate delivery charge.

a=axle cost

b=number

c= flat rate delivery charge

the formula would be

a x b +c

So you could in fact charge someone more if they were daft.

Well I would pay more if I was getting algebra.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #55731 on: August 02, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »

3 axles

£100 each

£60 delivery

3 x 100 + 60

£360 bembas  £480 tikay method

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #55732 on: August 02, 2021, 05:51:14 PM »

- Job you never did but wish you had. (Mine would be footballer if dreaming or policeman if something realistic).

- Thing that no-one on blonde knows about you that you can share with us now. (I cant ride a bike)

- Best decision ever made

- Worst decision

- Do you ever speak to Compo or know where he is or what he's doing these days?

- Favourite 'foreign' food?

- Poker player you found the most difficult to interview or do a show with?

- Poker player you admire most.

- What are your thoughts on the direction of blonde? Do you ever think about ways to re-ignite it a little ? It's such a great forum and has been invaluable for many of us.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55733 on: August 02, 2021, 06:07:23 PM »

- Job you never did but wish you had. (Mine would be footballer if dreaming or policeman if something realistic).

- Thing that no-one on blonde knows about you that you can share with us now. (I cant ride a bike)

- Worst decision

- What are your thoughts on the direction of blonde? Do you ever think about ways to re-ignite it a little ? It's such a great forum and has been invaluable for many of us.

Oh my, fabulous questions, thanks Cos.

I'll need a little thinking time, bear with me please.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #55734 on: August 02, 2021, 06:51:25 PM »

Wow, just wow.

I saw this when I had my early morning peruse of Twitter this morning & it cheered me up no end. You are looking great Mr P, in fact I never recognized you at first, I had to stare at the photo for fully 30 seconds before the penny dropped. Hopefully your recovery from the heart incident a few months ago has gone well.

PS - hope you don't mind me posting this, but you put it on Twitter so I sort of thought you would not mind.

Click to see full-size image.

Oh my various Gods! I've never seen him looking so well.

Dont want to upset him but when I first saw it I thought it was Chompy!

+1 i thought exactly the same thing!  Crazy to think someone looks like Chompy and is looking in fine fettle.  

+2. Had more PMs than BigAdz in his heyday telling me as much. Incred lookalike.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #55735 on: August 02, 2021, 07:03:09 PM »

Going to get my haircut on weds after a while, will take this in and ask for a Chompy

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #55736 on: August 02, 2021, 07:29:33 PM »

Going to get my haircut on weds after a while, will take this in and ask for a Chompy

Cheesy Cheesy

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #55737 on: August 02, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »

3 axles

£100 each

£60 delivery

3 x 100 + 60

£360 bembas  £480 tikay method

No wonder he got that Kirkland gig

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55738 on: August 06, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »

- Worst decision

Sorry for slow reply Mr Cos, I don't know where the days go, they seem to whizz past & I'm always saying "I'll do that tomorrow".

I'll try to reply one at a time.

Worst decision

Such a list to choose from, I could find so many. But I'll plump for the day I started smoking.

I was about 15 or 16. My childhood years had been a bit challenging, & I was desperate to be liked, & like most mid-teenagers, very impressionable. I fell in with a gang of lads on my estate. Not a good gang either, but it's all there was. When young men get in a group, strange things happens to their minds. Soon they were nicking cars & all sorts, & I was tagging along. And then there was a terrible accident one night, but that's another story.

Anyway, they all smoked & I was desperate to be "one of the lads". So I went & got myself a pack of 5 Woodbines. I can remember it to this day, & the exact shop where I got them.

I can still remember the sensation when I lit the first one. Horrible. I went all giddy & coughed & spluttered. But once I'd had a few more that soon passed...

I smoked for 55 years, until I was forced to stop by the heart attack which no doubt the smoking caused.

I tried to work out the cost. Very approx - VERY approx - but a pack a day for 55 years, & using current prices, comes to £200,450. And then I tried to approximate my earnings for 55 years, &, again, super approx, it was probably in the £2 to £2.5 milly range. So I spent 10% of my earnings on ciggies.

As I say, I've made plenty of daft decisions in my life, more than most I'd say, but that must be right up there. Course, the moment I had the heart attack I snap quit. So I could have quit any time I wanted. If I wanted.

We all know the usual negatives of smoking - smelly clothes, car & house, bad breath, causes heart disease & cancer. But there's plenty more. For example, when I got into poker, I always used to go for smoke breaks. I remember there was a metal cage at Luton, & a slightly bigger area at DTD, both very small though & 15 or 20 of us would squeeze into it - & there I was trapped, having to listen to bad beat stories from all sides.

Same in Vegas, there were several breakout areas where we could go for a smoke during breaks, but no matter how hard I'd stare at the ground & turn my back on approaching people, Team Bad Beat Story always found me. Nothing annoys me more than poker player who constantly moan & whine. And if I did not smoke, I could have avoided them.   

On a slightly brighter note, I managed to avoid drugs all my life, never once touched them. When I was in with that gang of lads I did drink a fair bit, but I saw sense & snap quit on my 21st birthday, & never touched the stuff since. All in all I suppose things could have been much worse. 

Will work through the list, another instalment soon.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55739 on: August 06, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »

I was a terrible smoker. I started at 13 and smoked for 30 years. I always had one lit. It got so bad that I had to switch to roll-ups because I couldn't afford the amount of fags I was smoking.

I tried dozens of timed to quit but always failed, then one morning I woke up feeling rough and I knew for certain that I had to stop or I  wouldn't live to see the grand kids.

I packed up on new years eve 1999. I haven't had a cigarette this century.

Pages: 1 ... 3712 3713 3714 3715 [3716] 3717 3718 3719 3720 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: