blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274191 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16731 Members
Latest Member: Airdraken
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 3781 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6649846 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: December 12, 2007, 02:49:39 AM »

Media Tycoon Lord (now just Conrad) Black did very well indeed to only get 6 & a half years inside, after his massive swindling of Hollinger's coffers. (Hollinger is a Media Conglomerate that owns, amongst others, the Daily Telegraph). Black pretty much used the Company's money as his own to live the life of Royalty.

He's known as being obnoxious, vindictive & arrogant, so much so, that his Defence Attorneys begged him not to speak in the Witness Box, fearing he'd launch one of his characteristic rants & thus prejudice his chances of being acquitted.

He was interviewed on Radio Four recently.

"They say you are arrogant & obnoxious, what do you say to that Lord Black?" said John Humphreys.

"How dare you address me in such fashion you odious little man" said the good Lord.

Next case.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Slick Kid

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: December 12, 2007, 02:56:22 AM »

Media Tycoon Lord (now just Conrad) Black did very well indeed to only get 6 & a half years inside, after his massive swindling of Hollinger's coffers. (Hollinger is a Media Conglomerate that owns, amongst others, the Daily Telegraph). Black pretty much used the Company's money as his own to live the life of Royalty.

He's known as being obnoxious, vindictive & arrogant, so much so, that his Defence Attorneys begged him not to speak in the Witness Box, fearing he'd launch one of his characteristic rants & thus prejudice his chances of being acquitted.

He was interviewed on Radio Four recently.

"They say you are arrogant & obnoxious, what do you say to that Lord Black?" said John Humphreys.

"How dare you address me in such fashion you odious little man" said the good Lord.

Next case.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: December 12, 2007, 03:09:05 AM »

how come two posts have different titles?Huh??

thats fecking clever tikay!!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
kenjude

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: December 12, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »

I stil can't get my head round it's Legality, or otherwise, though, & this whole Licensed Venue thing, & The GC's frantic inaction, baffles me totally.

I just know Rob Yong had to spend million to get clearance, & yet venues such as The Western, claim (& I don't disbelieve them) to be wholly Legal.

I've never been there but I assume they're a private members' club that offers poker as one of a range of facilities available to the members. If so, it means the regualtions applying to them are different, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:38:17 AM by kenjude » Logged

Cheers

Ken
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1969 on: December 12, 2007, 09:45:27 AM »

I stil can't get my head round it's Legality, or otherwise, though, & this whole Licensed Venue thing, & The GC's frantic inaction, baffles me totally.

I just know Rob Yong had to spend million to get clearance, & yet venues such as The Western, claim (& I don't disbelieve them) to be wholly Legal.

I've never been there but I assume they're a private members' club that offers poker as one of a range of facilities available to the members. If so, it means the regualtions applying to them are different, doesn't it?

I think that's right - see also the Gutshot becoming the Powerhouse Club.

Quote from: Gutshot Website
The club now features an Internet Café, Fully Licensed Bar and Restaurant, Coffee Bar, Function Room and a large screen Sky TV for all sporting and pay per view events.

Along with a plethora of Games & Pastimes such as Bridge, Whist, Scrabble, Monopoly, Backgammon, Pool, Darts, Jenga, Connect4, Sudoku, Kalooki, Poker, a Fishing Club and a Travel Club.

See, it's not just a poker club at all.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:33 AM »

I thought that there were supposed to be restrictions on the amounts that are wagered in "private member's clubs".

It certainly is not fair that RY had to lay out £3M+ to operate legally and the loopholers carry on merrily.

I sometimes wonder if the Gaming Commision actually have a policy.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:51 AM »

DIfferent licences, the Gutshot and the Western are obv primarily fishing clubs so don't have to go through the same hoops

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: December 12, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »

DIfferent licences, the Gutshot and the Western are obv primarily fishing clubs so don't have to go through the same hoops

Whats the difference?

kenjude

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: December 12, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »

I thought that there were supposed to be restrictions on the amounts that are wagered in "private member's clubs".

Restrictions apply to amounts in commercial venues i.e pubs or, for example, Rileys.

But there are no restrictions on amounts that can be wagered under a club gaming permit in a private members club or miners' welfare club.

Cheers

Ken
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1974 on: December 12, 2007, 03:46:53 PM »

Restrictions apply to amounts in commercial venues i.e pubs or, for example, Rileys.

But there are no restrictions on amounts that can be wagered under a club gaming permit in a private members club or miners' welfare club.

not entirely true. to be exempt from the limits it has to be a bit more than a private members club it has to be a social club where members make up the committee of the club and the club isnt a profit making organisation whereby any profits are ploughed back into the club and its members.
rileys are a private members club but have restrictions the same as most other snooker clubs should be adhereing to because they are not classed as social or working mans clubs they are a company solely in the business for profit and have shareholders to please.

as far as im aware the western is not catagoriesed as a social club with the members as the committe and are not a non profit making organisation.

how they get round the rules i dont know, my guess is they flaunt the rules as much as they can then deal with the consequences whenever they may come calling.

a bit like gutshots did for 3 or 4 years making enough money in that time to far outweigh any imposed penalty they may incur.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: December 12, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »

... my guess is they flaunt the rules as much as they can then deal with the consequences whenever they may come calling.

This would be my guess as well, they're doing enough so that it would be a hassle to prosecute them rather than a clear cut case, but if the will was there to do it then they could be.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1976 on: December 12, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »

I would guess that they wouldn't be able to take a rake from cash games and that they can only charge a facility fee for tournaments, so although they can do it I doubt that they can get any proper profit out of it like DTD could. Personally I feel happier playing at DTD with less chance of being raided by the police.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: December 12, 2007, 05:42:29 PM »

Trust me, the Western won't get raided by the Police!!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 12, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »

... my guess is they flaunt the rules as much as they can then deal with the consequences whenever they may come calling.

This would be my guess as well, they're doing enough so that it would be a hassle to prosecute them rather than a clear cut case, but if the will was there to do it then they could be.

I wes told that they were recently "granted a licence by the Local Authority". I have no idea, though, what that means.

I'm not anti The Western, not at all, but this whole "licensing" thing baffles me. In simple terms, why did Rob have to go through so much (aggro, stress & cash) whereas others don't?

I hope The Western continues to flourish, I really do, but I'm totally bamboozled as to it's legality. They have a £750 Tourney (which looks excellent) in December, so it's hardly "small-stakes poker".

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 12, 2007, 05:45:03 PM »

how come two posts have different titles?Huh??

thats fecking clever tikay!!

No idea! Maybe I Posted on the wrong Thread & someone moved it for me. One gets confused now & then......

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 3781 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: