blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 642 643 [644] 645 646 647 648 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334555 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9645 on: October 18, 2008, 04:20:27 AM »

Tikay, when you find a spare hour, get on iplayer >>>Categories>>> Factual >>>Page 6, "Stephen Fry in America" ... its basically just him visiting all the states and visiting different obscure little places, First episode features some type of steam train which runs on a chain rail ... great programme. this is episode 1, not sure how long it will be available for.

Thanks Kev.

"iplayer"?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: October 18, 2008, 04:21:49 AM »

BBC watch online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: October 18, 2008, 04:23:11 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00f2dfv/Stephen_Fry_in_America_New_World/

thats the link to the programme

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: October 18, 2008, 04:50:41 AM »

Next up, with Hands being so difficult to play, as nobody would Pass anything

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: October 18, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »

So, soon, folks paying a tenner to fly to Edinbugh or Paris will be complaining about paying £30 for a 5 minute 'phone call. Which they don't have to make.

Or perhaps they'll just use their own phone after reading some of the many posts on the internet saying using mobiles is actually safe on planes
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: October 18, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »

Dace Courtney the ultimate Freudian slip imo

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9651 on: October 18, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »

So, soon, folks paying a tenner to fly to Edinbugh or Paris will be complaining about paying £30 for a 5 minute 'phone call. Which they don't have to make.

Or perhaps they'll just use their own phone after reading some of the many posts on the internet saying using mobiles is actually safe on planes

It will be using their own phones I believe. you dont get phone signal coverage above a certain altitude.  Basically using mobile phones is believed to interfear with the navigating bits and bobs by up to a couple of degrees (i dont really believe that though - a bit like the mobile phone going to blow up a petrol station thingy), which would be quite bad. They have developed something that stops that from happening so you can use your mobile - probably have to attach your phone (wirelessly) to a router on board which then connects to a phone satelite avoiding the instrument equipment I'd guess. There have been phones on planes for years so I think its just the ability to get a mobile to connect to something without it searching for other network and causing a problem.

Dead technical me like....

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9652 on: October 18, 2008, 11:15:36 AM »

It will be using their own phones I believe. you dont get phone signal coverage above a certain altitude.  Basically using mobile phones is believed to interfear with the navigating bits and bobs by up to a couple of degrees (i dont really believe that though - a bit like the mobile phone going to blow up a petrol station thingy), which would be quite bad. They have developed something that stops that from happening so you can use your mobile - probably have to attach your phone (wirelessly) to a router on board which then connects to a phone satelite avoiding the instrument equipment I'd guess. There have been phones on planes for years so I think its just the ability to get a mobile to connect to something without it searching for other network and causing a problem.

The mobile phones at petrol stations is a very strange one.  Apparently, there's never been a case of a mobile phone igniting petrol vapours, but for some reason using a mobile phone at a petrol station is almost tantamount to being a terrorist.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/mar/20/mobilephones.ameliahill

Interestingly enough, I've just read that the only reason the use of mobile phones is restricted on oil rigs is because of the distraction they can cause, not because they are a potential source of ignition.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9653 on: October 18, 2008, 11:33:02 AM »

Tikay, when you find a spare hour, get on iplayer >>>Categories>>> Factual >>>Page 6, "Stephen Fry in America" ... its basically just him visiting all the states and visiting different obscure little places, First episode features some type of steam train which runs on a chain rail ... great programme. this is episode 1, not sure how long it will be available for.

+1 on the programme, but, it was a cog drive, not chain. I'm ashamed of myself, but I just can't help it. Amazing thing was, this massive undertaking of building a rail line up a mountain 100 or so years ago (may even have been further back, can't remember) was done for the sole purpose of tourism. Only in America.

I don't know what you think of Stephen Fry, TK, but he does a very good travelogue. Very much off-the-beaten-track stuff. Wait til you see the "summer cabin" he visits. Indescribable. Once again, only in America.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: October 18, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »

I understand this is a popular subject on the internet, I haven't looked into it other than quickly reading through 1 thread and a couple of articles but some people are saying that first we were told we can't get a signal in the air which was disproved by 9/11 then they said it was dangerous and could cause a crash, but a few scientists LOLed at that so now they are saying it confuses the mobile base stations as you are going so fast and it could overload the system. the conspiracy theory is that as you are going from station to station so fast it confuses the charging system and you get free calls. which is why they tell you not to do it.
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9655 on: October 18, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »

I understand this is a popular subject on the internet, I haven't looked into it other than quickly reading through 1 thread and a couple of articles but some people are saying that first we were told we can't get a signal in the air which was disproved by 9/11 then they said it was dangerous and could cause a crash, but a few scientists LOLed at that so now they are saying it confuses the mobile base stations as you are going so fast and it could overload the system. the conspiracy theory is that as you are going from station to station so fast it confuses the charging system and you get free calls. which is why they tell you not to do it.

Were people calling from mobiles on 9/11? I thought they were on the plane's phones? Also they would have been at low altitude.

I have, by accident had my phone on on an aeroplane. I found that I did lose signal until quite close to landing (by firstly realising I didnt have signal when in the air and secondly when getting a flurry of texts through a few minutes before landing. I guess it could be to do with lack of coverage, ie not over land as opposed to altitude - cant really test it out without being naughty.

I think there is also an element of other passenger comfort (which is of less concern to Ryanair). It would drive me slightly mad having people talking away on phones, and worse still ringtones constantly.

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: October 18, 2008, 12:44:29 PM »

On a recent flight I found I couldn't actually turn my phone off and also couldn't open the back and take the batteries out (I'd dropped it while running for the flight). Cabin crew were not concerned and were ok with me putting it in my carry-on in the overhead locker.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: October 18, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

On a recent flight I found I couldn't actually turn my phone off and also couldn't open the back and take the batteries out (I'd dropped it while running for the flight). Cabin crew were not concerned and were ok with me putting it in my carry-on in the overhead locker.

I would've made you wait outside until the battery went dead

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: October 18, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

Yeah they got reception because they were flying much lower than cruise alt.

I have had my phone on during flights before, it has never been shown to affect a/c systems ever (i believe the only reason they were banned was because 2 unexplained ILS fluctuations happened not long after people started using them so they put it down to cell phones) anyway yeah you can't get signal because you go 6 miles into the air which is too far from a mobile cell tower as most are designed to keep the signal down so as not to interfere with other cell masts.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: October 18, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »

2 things Tikay.....

1. FASHION
Take a good look at the photo of you and Huggy Bear....because clear evidence of very old age is on show.

Please don't go out without a belt again. This is very serious actually. Look at the "splendidly dressed" Huggy.....BELT! And a nice one too by the looks of it.

2. POKER

For me this statement is the psychology of TILT
I decide to change gear, & go on a nicking spree, & get my big stack back, sharpish.

What you had then is history. What you have now is present. Trying to get back what you once had helps you how? Once again, don't do it.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 642 643 [644] 645 646 647 648 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: