blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274191 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16731 Members
Latest Member: Airdraken
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 832 833 [834] 835 836 837 838 ... 3781 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6650002 times)
jizzemm

BB6 Footy Winners - WALES.

View Profile
« Reply #12495 on: April 03, 2009, 12:02:32 AM »

Happy memories! That was way before the dreadful Radio 5 Live was even thought of.

Why dont you like 5 live, its much better than talk sport imo

"I want to talk about my hand, what do you mean I cant talk about my hand, right im going to talk about the fact that I cant talk about my hand"...
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: April 03, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »

Happy memories! That was way before the dreadful Radio 5 Live was even thought of.

Oh absolutely, I don't deny that. But most things are, no?

Sport is extremely poorly served by Radio, imo - I guess because so many peeps have tellies now.

In my day.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: April 03, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »

Sport is extremely poorly served by Radio, imo - I guess because so many peeps have tellies now.

In my day.....

I think a better answer is because the Presenters are so naff, & cheesy, & it is all so predictable.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: April 03, 2009, 12:08:21 AM »

In my day.....

TMS is still a good listen imo, I can't say i really listen to any other sport on radio. Tbh i just think a lot of sports aren't suited to Radio, especially when compared to TV.
Pelham Boy

View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: April 03, 2009, 12:11:17 AM »

In a world where sports organisers increasingly bend over backwards for TV, I quite like the fact that Augusta tell the TV companies they can't have the front nine, and that is saved for the spectators on the course.

I don't really know or care about golf but I do agree with that sentiment.

I would like to agree with that sentiment too. But this really badly gets in the way for me....

What's widely considered the toughest ticket in sports is actually a badge, a 3½-by-2½-inch piece of laminated plastic that grants holders access to all four rounds of the tournament. The face value is $176, but this year a badge will fetch up to $4,000 apiece online or from brokers

And there's like a 200-year waiting list to join the club. So who's really getting to see dem holes? Not the average guy that's for sure. The average guy's sat outside the course begging for tickets in the street. Begging in the street! How humiliating is that??

It's a sad state of affairs when Mike Gatting has to resort to begging............

Good spot.

Never did warm to Gatting after his outrgeous behaviour in India.

It was Pakistan Tikay. I assume you're referring to the Shakoor Rana incident.

"The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock 'n' Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I'm right and you're wrong!" John Peel.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: April 03, 2009, 12:14:17 AM »

In a world where sports organisers increasingly bend over backwards for TV, I quite like the fact that Augusta tell the TV companies they can't have the front nine, and that is saved for the spectators on the course.

I don't really know or care about golf but I do agree with that sentiment.

I would like to agree with that sentiment too. But this really badly gets in the way for me....

What's widely considered the toughest ticket in sports is actually a badge, a 3½-by-2½-inch piece of laminated plastic that grants holders access to all four rounds of the tournament. The face value is $176, but this year a badge will fetch up to $4,000 apiece online or from brokers

And there's like a 200-year waiting list to join the club. So who's really getting to see dem holes? Not the average guy that's for sure. The average guy's sat outside the course begging for tickets in the street. Begging in the street! How humiliating is that??

It's a sad state of affairs when Mike Gatting has to resort to begging............

Good spot.

Never did warm to Gatting after his outrgeous behaviour in India.

It was Pakistan Tikay. I assume you're referring to the Shakoor Rana incident.

Ah yes, so it was. My bad.

Still disgraceful though.

I'd have had him shot.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: April 03, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »

In my day.....

TMS is still a good listen imo, I can't say i really listen to any other sport on radio. Tbh i just think a lot of sports aren't suited to Radio, especially when compared to TV.

Well TMS is a given, far & away the best sport coverage on Radio OR TV by a mile. Particularly when it's raining, or they are covering a "dead" afternoon. It's gone a bit downhill since we lost E W Swanton, Johnners, Arlott, Grumpy Trevor Bailey, Trueman, Boycs, & Don Mosey (ex-Yorkshire, his son played for England & Dad commentated), Peter West & co.

I was never much keen on CMJ, or Blowers, but of the new breed, I think Aggers is perfect.

Bumble was superb, ditto Vic Marks, but I thought Tuffnell was a complete waste of space. Took drugs, see?

I'd have to nominate.....

Best Summariser.....Trevor Bailey. So mardy, but knew what was what.

Best commentator....Arlott. Different class.

Best Match Coverage ever ever ever - England v Aussies, the Headingley Test. Of course.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: April 03, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »

That TMS reminder made me think - if I were on a Desert Island, & were allowed to listen to one Radio Prog, & one TV seres/Show, & 6 books, it would have to be.....

Radio - Easy. An everlasting TMS.

TV - Harder.

Either....

The Simpsons

All of Attenborough's stuff.

VHS Classic. (Not a Show as such, but I allow it).

Books -

Bryson, ASHONE

Henry Longhurst - My Soft Life

Men and Horses I Have Known - Gearge Lambton. (Later, Earl of Derby).

The Brigadier - John Hislop.

The Story of DNA - Crick & Watson(?). That's a stonker.

Papillon - Henri Charriere.

There, easy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:40:42 AM by tikay » Logged

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12503 on: April 03, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »

No excuses

Pick a venue, pick a date, book the time off and enjoy a Test Match.

The 2009 Ashes should be close and a great sporting event.

Get it sorted

http://theashes2009.net/?page_id=38

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: April 03, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »

No excuses

Get it sorted

Might just do that. Gotta get my scorecard & pencil first, no good without that.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:50 AM »

TMS rules

problem i have is that i cant get radio 5 live extra in my bed

and they keep interupting the 4LW with shipping forcasts and womens hour

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12506 on: April 03, 2009, 12:52:12 AM »

No excuses

Get it sorted

Might just do that. Gotta get my scorecard & pencil first, no good without that.

You can also take your own radio and headphones to listen to commentary at the ground as well

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: April 03, 2009, 12:55:12 AM »

Tikay, in your experience, has anybody ever won the Velocity and £400 guaranteed on the same night? And do you think such a feat is possible?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: April 03, 2009, 12:56:39 AM »

In my day.....

Well TMS is a given, far & away the best sport coverage on Radio OR TV by a mile. Particularly when it's raining, or they are covering a "dead" afternoon. It's gone a bit downhill since we lost E W Swanton, Johnners, Arlott, Grumpy Trevor Bailey, Trueman, Boycs, & Don Mosey (ex-Yorkshire, his son played for England & Dad commentated), Peter West & co.

I was never much keen on CMJ, or Blowers, but of the new breed, I think Aggers is perfect.

Bumble was superb, ditto Vic Marks, but I thought Tuffnell was a complete waste of space. Took drugs, see?

I'd have to nominate.....

Best Summariser.....Trevor Bailey. So mardy, but knew what was what.

Best commentator....Arlott. Different class.

Best Match Coverage ever ever ever - England v Aussies, the Headingley Test. Of course.

Too young to remember some of the above, just about old enough to remember Brain Johnston.

Of the current crop, I agree Aggers is perfect for the role. I also agree with Tufnell and nothing to do with his track record, his whole personality didn't seem to fit the atmsophere of TMS.

Geoff Boycott amuses me, isn't scared to say what he thinks and works well as a contrast to some of the other commentators. Bumble is a complete legend and is the only person I turn off TMS to listen to his stints on sky.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: April 03, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »

Before I reply to the comments on Augusta/Golf/TV, a quick curiosity from today's news.

Body parts are being found all over the Midlands.

22nd March - a left foot is found in Gloucestershire.

22nd March - A left leg is found in Herfordshire.

29th March - An arm, ("a arm"?), complete with hand, found in Wheathampstead.

31st March - A head is found in Asfordby.

The arm & the leg are from the same person.

The left foot is not from the same person.

The head could be from either.

All factual.

My own conjecture is to marvel at the way these body parts are cleverly camaflouged. The Police reported that "the foot was found inside a grey sports sock and a grey size 9 training shoe". Ingenious, eh?

Pages: 1 ... 830 831 832 833 [834] 835 836 837 838 ... 3781 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: